the Truth about Deviant Art's history

It's leagal to do that for the mona lisa because it is over 75 years old (works automatically become public domain after 75 years in the US if I remember correctly).

Should or should not doesn't matter.  the law says no.

Actually, I believe there are exceptions for publicly displayed works and representations thereof, and there may be another exception for parody works, at least here in the US.

I hear ya.  What I'm sayin' is that it should be totally cool to record stuff off of the AM/FM radio for PERSONAL USE ONLY - not for distribution.

If an artist puts their picture on the internet for people to view in public, I think people should be allowed to download that pic for PERSONAL USE ONLY, say as wallpaper or background or something.

Like it's legal to take a photograph of the Mona Lisa and blow it up, put it in your scrapbook, scan it and make it your Windows background, etc.

But it should NOT be legal to take that photograph of the Mona Lisa and use it for commercial purposes or distribution.

Sound cool?

586325351[/snapback]

It's leagal to do that for the mona lisa because it is over 75 years old (works automatically become public domain after 75 years in the US if I remember correctly).

Should or should not doesn't matter. the law says no.

"What we can tell you is what it is not because of: it did not happen because of any corporate plot or conspiracy." - Spyed Journal Entry

Double-negative (not, not) is used so both negatives are actually positives. Thus...

"What we can tell you is what it is because of: it did happen because of a corporate plot or conspiracy."

"What we can tell you is what it is not because of: it did not happen because of any corporate plot or conspiracy." - Spyed Journal Entry

Double-negative (not, not) is used so both negatives are actually positives. Thus...

"What we can tell you is what it is because of: it did happen because of a corporate plot or conspiracy."

586325570[/snapback]

not when seperated by a colon or semicolon.

For someone completly ignorant to the whole deviantART scene, what is actually happening with it?

Why not just read the thread and links? It explains the whole thing.

bro.  you didn't read the whole thing, you skimmed it, made assumptions, and made an ass out of yourself.  good job.

:spam:

586320627[/snapback]

LOl that made my day.

Whats going on with deviant art?

586320682[/snapback]

basically jack got fired by spyed who came along some times back, but definitely didn't have the privilege to do so since he didn't take parts in any of deviantart's bulding from ground up process.

He wrote a lot and said nothing.

586320711[/snapback]

definitely, he's just tyring to make it sounds ilke omg i ma the god father and all i said is true. also i just don't see how it's fair 'them" to fire jark without some kind of long discusion? and without even noticing him when they took atway 10% of share? what kidn stuff is that?

i just hope all this stuff get sorted out and let deviantart.com have a phate pip again.

Then why did he go to all the trouble to fire the guy and take over?

Why not just give DeviantArt to that fouder dude and then start his own thing?

586325388[/snapback]

Matteo and Jark are the original founders... Spyed help fund the company and eventually just took over and he is the one EVERYONE hates.

edit...

actually, im not sure matteo was one of the originals, but i know jark was and i know matteo and jark are on good terms.

Then why did he go to all the trouble to fire the guy and take over?

Why not just give DeviantArt to that fouder dude and then start his own thing?

586325388[/snapback]

Yeah, as mentioned above, it wasn't Matteo who had Jark fired, it was Spyed. It was originally thought up by Jark, and Matteo helped, thats why they are co-founders, Then Syped came along and screwed it all up.

Matteo and Jark are the original founders... Spyed help fund the company and eventually just took over and he is the one EVERYONE hates.

edit...

actually, im not sure matteo was one of the originals, but i know jark was and i know matteo and jark are on good terms.

586326464[/snapback]

Yes, he was

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...ost&p=586322294

I would love to see DeviantART collapse for certain reasons, but definitely not in this way.

586320546[/snapback]

lol it doesnt load half the time to it kinda has taken a dive... I say let them make money, its all about popularity over there anyways

I meant if that money dude says is willing to start his own company, why not instead of firing Jark, just give him the company and then let Jark run DA and then go start his own company? Why basically destroy DA and then start his own company after that is done?

I meant if that money dude says is willing to start his own company, why not instead of firing Jark, just give him the company and then let Jark run DA and then go start his own company?  Why basically destroy DA and then start his own company after that is done?

586333318[/snapback]

what are you talking about? matteo said he was going to start his own company... not spyed. matteo and jark want their company back though.

what are you talking about?? matteo said he was going to start his own company... not spyed.? matteo and jark want their company back though.

Crap. My bad. I mixed up Matteo with Spyed in my mind. I'm a dork(N)N)

I'm so freakin' confused. Silly cold medicine.

Edited by Bearded Kirklander

Wow... more int4rw3b soap opera. No thanks.

DA lost its old charm a long time ago.

586325654[/snapback]

i couldn't agree more

before their "upgrade", their server's speed is almost like dsl. now it's more like adsl. slow transfering and slow ping and all. just isn't the same anymore.

Crap.  My bad.  I mixed up Matteo with Spyed in my mind.  I'm a dork. (N)

I'm so freakin' confused.  Silly cold medicine.

586333385[/snapback]

lol, no prob.

It was myself, `matteo and $spyed that  founded deviantART back in the summer of 2000. At the time $spyed and I were working together on DMusic and we were trying to come up with ideas for a skinning section for all the MP3 related software. After doing some soul searching I came up with the name deviantART and the idea of branding submissions as deviations and users as deviants. `matteo joined in the fray and we chose to make deviantART a complete art site from the onset.

Read that its from http://web.archive.org/web/20040721070139/...deviantart.com/

I support jark simply because i think DA has got very stale as of late but i must say dont buy into everything that you read from those two, as right now they are bending alot of truths!

Read that its from http://web.archive.org/web/20040721070139/...deviantart.com/

I support jark simply because i think DA has got very stale as of late but i must say dont buy into everything that you read from those two, as right now they are bending alot of truths!

586337185[/snapback]

LOL that's a must for them

but it sucks someone actually got fired

it's not fair. Anyhow, what is jark going to do now? sue them? :rolleyes:

I'm not getting involved in the debate over who owns what or who should get credit for what, as I've never been an active participant on DeviantArt. I will say that the site is slow as a turtle (for me at least) and that because of that, I rarely if ever go there looking for anything.

so that's what's been happening. hmmmm. I had bought a subscription back in Nov so that I could use the search function, and also post my works up there, but then the search function hasn't been alive for quite some time. I'm thinking of taking down my art, seeing as how this may just all turn to ****. Any ideas when/if the search function will be back? That's the only reason I bought the subscription :s

so that's what's been happening.  hmmmm.  I had bought a subscription back in Nov so that I could use the search function, and also post my works up there, but then the search function hasn't been alive for quite some time.  I'm thinking of taking down my art, seeing as how this may just all turn to ****.  Any ideas when/if the search function will be back?  That's the only reason I bought the subscription :s

586345876[/snapback]

why would you take down your stuff? what does the administration have to do with the community? it's not like the crap going on in the administration has anything to do with who views your stuff. DA is a community. if the underlying crap bothers you enough that you want to leave, then leave, but im not leaving DA until the war in the administration affects me with like massive down time or all of my works get deleted. I've been there for 4 years and they have had their share of server problems and other problems... you work through them.