NCAA Bans Indian Mascots from Postseason

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050805/ap_on_...ndian_nicknames

"NCAA Bans Indian Mascots From Postseason

By MICHAEL MAROT, AP Sports Writer 14 minutes ago

INDIANAPOLIS - The

NCAA banned the use of American Indian mascots by sports teams during its postseason tournaments, but will not prohibit them otherwise..."

wow, what do you guys think?

i think there are much more important things for them to worry about. Like miami using 11-time convicted criminals on their football team.

i would agree if it was the Illinois Drunken Illini. but it's not. they use these indian names because they embody the positive qualities that the teams want to have. strength, desire, the will to win, etc.

ncaa has to be one of the most ass-backwards sporting organizations in existence. i agree completely lethal. if they are gonna crack down, why not ban them completely?

I read this on MSNBC 5 minutes ago and its the stupidest decision they could've made. I just don't see how calling Florida St. the "Seminoles" is an insult; I just cannot see it.

Can someone please tell me what's wrong with the NCAA? They still think the BCS works and now they are banning Indian related mascot names for only the postseason?

Being from Illinois, and being an Illini fan...its pretty freakin' stupid. I didn't go to any of the postseason, so I don't know if the Chief went to the games, but I don't think he did, as he only performs during halftime and is not a fixture on the sidelines to make stupid gestures and pick on other mascots, i.e. Brutus the Buckeye, etc. I have nothing against mascots who provide comic relief, but I feel that the Chief is a very respectable symbol, and that his performance has always been done in a respectable manor.

For the most part, it seems that these protests led on schools who use native american mascots are led not by native americans, but by whiny ass white people who can't find something better to do with their time. If native americans were protesting constantly, I can see changing the rules, or removing the Cheif symbol from the school logo (which has pretty much already happened if you don't live on campus, to save from being targeted.)

If I am remembering correctly, I'm pretty sure that a month or so ago, the Seminole Tribal Council (spare the survivor jokes) told FSU to use their image and their name whenver and whereever they damn well please, they were proud to be represented as a mascot for the university.

The NCAA is just covering their own ass here so maybe the whining will stop for a little bit of time.

I dunno. Seems like much to do about nothing, but then again, I'm not of indian descent so perhaps I am hopelessly desensitized.

The world does seem to have its priorities mixed up, I will say that.

So, they would have to totally redisign their uniforms for a couple games? WTF!?!?!

My school has an animal for a mascott (LSU), I wonder if they will be banned from using animals if animal rights activists complain :p

My alma matter is the University of North Dakota; home of the Fighting Sioux. Having a Native American "mascot" was an honor.

Ralph Engelstad, a UND alumnus, once gave the University $150 million to build the finest hockey arena in the world. When there was talk of UND changing the mascot name in 2001, he threatened to take back every dime of the donation. THe name change lost 8 - 0.

Edited by Galley

For the most part, it seems that these protests led on schools who use native american mascots are led not by native americans, but by whiny ass white people who can't find something better to do with their time. If native americans were protesting constantly, I can see changing the rules, or removing the Cheif symbol from the school logo (which has pretty much already happened if you don't live on campus, to save from being targeted.)

586332126[/snapback]

This is what sucks the most I think. People who aren't involved turning a non-issue into an issue and getting their way.

If I am remembering correctly, I'm pretty sure that a month or so ago, the Seminole Tribal Council (spare the survivor jokes) told FSU to use their image and their name whenver and whereever they damn well please, they were proud to be represented as a mascot for the university.

586332126[/snapback]

Not only that but the FSU team brings a ton of attention to the Seminoles and their situation in Florida. The council even offered to help the team re-design their logo to more accurately depict the seminoles. The university of course agreed.

While I understand both sides of the argument I think the NCAA is doing it for the wrong reasons. Curious how this news came just as they were set to begin an anti-trust lawsuit brought on by the NIT and Bobby Knight calling them a monopoly on the stand. If they are going to single out the Native Americans as offended people then I would like to see them take into consideration the feelings of those of Irish decent, or the religous few who don't appreciate the Blue Demons, Blue Devils, or Sun Devils or the anti-religous few who don't appreciate the Friars or the Saints. And let's not even mention PETA and the myriad of bulldog, tiger, longhorn, etc mascots.

The NCAA can't be criticized (or so they think) for this kind of move because nobody in their right mind would come out against a ban.

Isn't it funny that the white man killed off native americans and hid the survivors on reservations and now they want to eliminate any references to them and hide them from the public forum.

Wouldn't they be better served by establishing funds and educational services with the schools that do decide to honor a heritage that is distinctly regional?

fightinwhites.jpg

GREELEY, Colo. (AP) _ Unable to persuade a school district to drop a mascot name that offends them, some American Indian students at the University of Northern Colorado have named their intramural basketball team "The Fighting Whities."

Led by Solomon Little Owl, director of Native American Student Services at UNC, the team chose a white man as its mascot to raise awareness and understanding of stereotypes that some cultures endure. "The message is, lets do something that will let people see the other side of what its like to be a mascot," Little Owl said. "I am really

offended by this mascot issue, and I hope the people that support the Eaton mascot will get offended by this."

The team is made up of American Indians, Hispanics and Anglos. They wear jerseys that say "Every thangs going to be all white."

Independent Media Center

So much for those 'whiney ass white people'.

is anybody offended by that though? it's just a sports mascot, it's not that big a deal. fighting whities mean that the team fights for their victories, and i have no problem representing that.

and i just don't get how the fighting irish can be left out either...

Very good point with the Fighting Irish. That just shows you how well educated the NCAA committee is by leaving the Fighting Irish behind.

Thats BS...the Indians are fighting and wanting the name change...they just expect the best and not accept the worst...they are even whining about "Rivers" and "Creeks" named after Indians...if its not a holy name..they want it changed (unless its a Bingo or Smoke Shop on Indian Land..then they expect it to be Tax Free)....and as for the 150million donation....they whine about names but when it comes to handouts..they shutup....hypocrites.....

Do you think it would be different if instead of fighting whities..maybe it said..the fighting americans and the mascot was the flag. You can't use fighting whities because being white doesn't mean anything to anybody that's white. Being American does though, same for the flag and what it stands for. So if a team on some other land, say Afghanistan, used the flag for there mascot and called themselves the fighting americans, would that make a difference? Just curious what some peeps thought about that scenario.

My father is Native American, my mother is White..I also am a student at UND so I've been through these debates for 4 years. I am just curious to how people react to the flag scenario.

Yes, as an Irishman, I am a little offended that Notre Dame hasn't won a bowlgame since the '93 cotton bowl!

The whole thing is downright silly. Names like 'seminole', illini, Soux, etc, are not racial slurs. No more than "Trojans", or "Spartans".

Now 'Redskins', may be another matter :)

well, as long as it was used in a positive way, i wouldn't have a problem with it. i think being in a different country doesn't apply though, we are all part of the same country here.

they only scenario i can think of thats offensive, say, is like when the florida gators have gators eating indians or something.

ncaa has to be one of the most ass-backwards sporting organizations in existence.  i agree completely lethal.  if they are gonna crack down, why not ban them completely?

586332094[/snapback]

Exactly. The NCAA is a joke. Cracking down halfway (when it really isn't even CLOSE to halfway) is a joke.

I'm not Indian, but I don't understand why people get offended by the nicknames of sports teams. If the Washington Nationals were named the Washington Whiteys, I would not be offended at all. It's not like the names are used in disprespectful manners.

Yes, as an Irishman, I am a little offended that Notre Dame hasn't won a bowlgame since the '93 cotton bowl!

The whole thing is downright silly.? Names like 'seminole', illini, Soux, etc, are not racial slurs.? No more than "Trojans", or "Spartans".?

Now 'Redskins', may be another matter?&nb:); :)

586334459[/snapback]

well...it seems Whiteman and Blackman are acceptable...what makes Redman any less acceptable....does that also mean the Redman Chewing Tobacco will have to change there Brand Name too?...(guess the baseball players will have to use tape to cover up the package)

I can see some being offensive:

Carthage College (Redmen), based on race?

Southeastern Oklahoma State University (Savages), now that is just wrong

I can see changing the rules, or removing the Cheif symbol from the school logo (which has pretty much already happened if you don't live on campus, to save from being targeted.)

have you been to champaign in the last six months... the chief is everywhere, not that there is anything wrong with it, but that symbol is EVERYWHERE after the final four

GO SALUKIS

have you been to champaign in the last six months... the chief is everywhere, not that there is anything wrong with it, but that symbol is EVERYWHERE after the final four

GO SALUKIS

586334493[/snapback]

Thats a good example...now if the Chiefs got their butts kicked and embarrased..then the Indians would Demand the Cheif Emblem be taken down and hidden from site....I agree with the top poster....just ban all the names and be done with it...then they can came back and 'Whine' because now noone knows about Indians anymore..... :wacko:

They should force every school to name them after animals. No lawsuits, hopefully, unless those animal rights activists feel that a monkey or whatever might be offended (silly dolts).

Florida Ferrets

Washington Weasels

Atlanta Aardvarks

Minnesota Monkeys

Georgia Gorillas

Indiana Inchworms

Boston Bedbugs

I think that works. :)

Edited by Bearded Kirklander