NCAA Bans Indian Mascots from Postseason

Imagine going to a school where your school nickname is the "Seminoles". You reach the Rose Bowl just to find out you had to change your nickname to something other than what you were called for the past 100 years.

Either force a name change forever, or don't make them change it for the postseason, period.

I didn't know college football had a postseason. If you are talking about bowls, then thats bowl season. Postseason is for playoffs. :)

Back on topic, its just a mascot, nothing more. Get over it NCAA. Also, to the pic above, the shirt says Fightin Whites, not Whities. Neither statement to me would I deem derogatory or offensive. If I saw that on person, I would probably laugh because I would have thought it was an attempt at humor. Even if it said 'Fightin Fat White Guys From Texas With Red Hair' it wouldn't bother me.

So, they would have to totally redisign their uniforms for a couple games? WTF!?!?!

My school has an animal for a mascott (LSU), I wonder if they will be banned from using animals if animal rights activists complai:p:p

586333767[/snapback]

:whistle:e:

NCAA Considers Ban on Hostile Animal Mascots

by Scott Ott

(2005-08-06) -- The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) today said it would consider a proposal by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) to ban teams from using "hostile" animal mascots during its sports tournaments. The NCAA imposed a similar ban on teams with American Indian names this week.

"Hostile animal mascots reinforce species stereotypes," according to the PETA proposal. "When children see snarling lions, tigers and bears--even if they're just perky men wearing fur suits with gigantic foam heads--it creates prejudice against wild creatures which justifies continued discrimination and oppression. The emotional toll on these sentient beings is devastating."

An NCAA spokesman said the organization will also consider a resolution at its next meeting to eliminate team names and mascots altogether, and to identify each collegiate sports team by a randomly-generated 27-digit number.

:whistle:

NCAA Considers Ban on Hostile Animal Mascots

by Scott Ott

(2005-08-06) -- The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) today said it would consider a proposal by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) to ban teams from using "hostile" animal mascots during its sports tournaments. The NCAA imposed a similar ban on teams with American Indian names this week.

"Hostile animal mascots reinforce species stereotypes," according to the PETA proposal. "When children see snarling lions, tigers and bears--even if they're just perky men wearing fur suits with gigantic foam heads--it creates prejudice against wild creatures which justifies continued discrimination and oppression. The emotional toll on these sentient beings is devastating."

An NCAA spokesman said the organization will also consider a resolution at its next meeting to eliminate team names and mascots altogether, and to identify each collegiate sports team by a randomly-generated 27-digit number.

Errrr - link? :woot:

heh...

And I believe the Seminole tribe from Florida actually participates in designing the emblems, uniforms, and especially the costume of that dude on the horse. Sorry I can't find the article, but seminole spokespeople were pretty shocked that they were being so offended and didn't even know about it.

We have Ragin' Cajuns here in Louisiana (at ULL) and I have never ever heard anyone complain about that. What about the U of Hawaii Warriors?

I honestly the NCAA is a bunch of bull**** and this is a very stupid ban that they are trying to impose. However, being a Florida Gator, I can't help but laugh hysterically at all of the FSU people I know. ;)

And as far as the Seminole Tribe of Florida helping FSU, I beleive other Seminole tribes throughout the country and disagreed with the Florida tribe helping FSU. So not everyone (Indian tribes that is) is completely happy with the whole mascot thing... just food for thought.

Either way, it's a stupid ban and it only opens up opportunity for them to start making bans on animal mascots, etc.

My alma matter, the University of North Dakota is one of the 18 schools that may be banned from post-season play. :angry:

Posted on Fri, Aug. 12, 2005

UND's Kupchella: NCAA policy unclear

Associated Press

FARGO - The University of North Dakota will ask the NCAA to clarify its decision to ban American Indian nicknames from postseason tournaments, UND President Charles Kupchella said today.

The decision "looks like a completely unreasonable, if not illegal, thing that they're doing here," Kupchella said.

Kupchella will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. to discuss the university's plans.

The NCAA has included UND on a list of 18 member schools with Indian nicknames, logos or mascots that are considered hostile and abusive. UND's sports teams are known as the Fighting Sioux, and the school uses an Indian head logo.

"In order to know how to frame an appeal, we really need the answer to some questions about the basis of their action in the first place," Kupchella said today during an interview on WDAY Radio of Fargo. "We're going to ask them for a clarification."

The NCAA has not detailed what it means by "hostile" and "abusive" when talking about university sports team nicknames or mascots, Kupchella said. UND does not have a mascot.

"We still don't have a clue as to what they were talking about, and what standard they used to decide that what we were doing is somehow hostile and abusive, while others doing very similar things were not," he said. "We have no clue as to where that line is."

Posted on Thu, Aug. 11, 2005

THEIR OPINION

FARGO - UND must face reality::

When the initial anger dissipates, fans of UND's Fighting Sioux moniker and logo likely will have to settle for resignation. The resignation surely will be tinged with indignation, but in this matter, the NCAA is holding aces.

Barring litigation to block the NCAA rule, it is unlikely UND and other schools with American Indian nicknames will defy the organization. Too much is at stake. Post-season play not only is a showcase for the schools and their best players, it's also a source of significant revenue. School administrations will weigh the consequences, say they've fought the good fight on principle and then accede to the new mascot rules.

In one respect, the NCAA did the schools a favor. Most of the schools with American Indian nicknames have been engaged in sometimes bitter on-campus and in-state debates about the names. Despite two major national polls that showed strong support among American Indians for the names, a vocal and apparently convincing minority has kept the issue roiling on many campuses, including UND.

The NCAA ban takes the heat off individual athletic directors and administrators. They can back away from the fractious debates on campus, throw up their hands and say accurately, "The NCAA made me do it."

Finally, the NCAA decision, which affects only 18 schools, will not be resisted by the hundreds of other member schools. There will be no uprising among those schools to come to the aid of the American Indian nickname schools. The NCAA knows how to count, and the majority of its member campuses don't have a dog in this fight.

Again, it's possible litigation will stall imposition of the NCAA rule. But the stall will be temporary. The fight is really over. Eventually, whether Sioux fans like it or not, UND will be looking for a new team mascot.

And I believe the Seminole tribe from Florida actually participates in designing the emblems, uniforms, and especially the costume of that dude on the horse.? Sorry I can't find the article, but seminole spokespeople were pretty shocked that they were being so offended and didn't even know about it.

586381444[/snapback]

That's what politics in the US have become the past few years. This disturbing wave of legislatingtaste> andopinion> really needs to stop. Now it's extending past government into organizations like the NCAA.

And telling someone that theyshould> be offended by something they support is both stupid and entirely outside the pervue of the law.

I read a letter to the editor  in my local newspaper that states that the NCAA uses Apache web server.  :D

586390998[/snapback]

lmao, thats hilarious if thats true...

I think native Americans are trying to gain respect by protesting but really... who respects the present day native Americans. 99% of them in Arizona that you see are morbidly obese. They are so forgotten I think they are trying to do anything they can to get attention.

They should be honored that their history is glorified somewhat in physical competition.