would u want apple to dominate the computer

would u want apple to dominate the computer industry  

157 members have voted

1. 1. would u want apple to dominate the computer industry

• yes
    • no
    • wouldn't make a difference to me

A no from me also ? like you said, more viruses would be developed for Macs. And there's something special about being a Mac user, you feel like your a member of a family because not a lot of people use Macs ? with PC's, you're just another face in the crowd.

I won't even bother posting a proper reply. Yet another flame war just waiting to go.

As a PC user and not someone who's particularly keen on Macs - maybe!

I see definate advantages in one company controlling the OS and the hardware. Compaibility issues would be gone, and if every version of the OS were tied to the latest processor, then legacy support would be less of an issue and innovation would steam ahead.

How about no because a monoculture is bad anywhere - even if it's the one I prefer that's the major player.

On a more greedy note: if OS X was more popular then my skills would become less valuable as more programmers take up Objective C and Cocoa. I'd much rather compete against a few thousand people for my next job than two or three million.

apple will never dominate, and its not just because of their rediculous prices- for all the uniqness that mac users tout, all apple products pretty much look the same. 1000 G5 powermac users will have exaclty the same looking computer, as willl 1000 powerbook users. believe it or not there is much more choice in the PC world, everything from style of case (size, lights, fans) to hardware (cpu, video card, motherboard). there is also much more customization and modding abilities. I think thats one of the reasons OSX runs so well, it only needs to deal with a handful of configurations whereas M$ and windows has to deal with joe scmo who would pick and choose his hardware from millions of possibilities

apple will never dominate, and its not just because of their rediculous prices- for all the uniqness that mac users tout, all apple products pretty much look the same. 1000 G5 powermac users will have exaclty the same looking computer, as willl 1000 powerbook users.

You're more likely to see two identical Dells than you are two identical powermacs simply because Dell sells in so much more volume than Apple. Fact of the matter is that most people (like our parents) don't care about having a computer that looks different from their neighbors and in office settings identical hardware is touted as a good thing.

I'd be careful with "will nevers" in 1978 nobody thought DOS would take off.

In 1985 Lotus 1-2-3 was supposed to be with us forever

In 1990 Nobody would have though WordPerfect wouldn't even be an also-ran today.

In 1995 Linux wasn't supposed to leave the desktop of hobbyists (now it powers millions of little computers and a few big ones too).

i vote no becuase if it did people would write more viruses for macs and they would become less safe

586379571[/snapback]

Viruses and malware aren't based on marketshare.

However, I voted "no difference". It would be exchanging one evil overlord with another :alien:

</tinfoilhat>

On the serious side, I would prefer to see a mixed computing environment, where applications used open and well-documented standards so they could exchange data with each other, regardless of platform. Anything that could reduce Microsoft down to 75% of the home market would be good. Microsoft seems to perform best when they have some real competition, anyhow.

forget virii and malware. I dont get it one windows, so it's of no concern to me.

I dont think apple should rule because of their tyrannical and dictatoriship like regime. they have demonstrated this as a tiny company, imagine how they will be if they were the size of Microsoft (OS and application software) and Dell (computer hardware and accessories) combined. i dont even want to think of it. if you think microsoft is controlling, then apple would be way, way worse.

STV

i really would like to see more apple computers. i have an iBook witch is a really cool device. the os is supreme it makes windows xp look like a gaybar. i just hope there arnt going to be mutch virri on an apple.

i really would like to see more apple computers. i have an iBook witch is a really cool device. the os is supreme it makes windows xp look like a gaybar. i just hope there arnt going to be mutch virri on an apple.

586380315[/snapback]

actually, I always thought that MacOS X was the gay brother that windows XP never wanted to introduce to anyone. MacOS X is a bit too flamboyant for me. I like the innocent fisher price look. but now I use the tablet pc theme from microsoft, so it looks much nicer.

STV

I vote yes.

It would be NICE if they did - put an end to all the ignorant PC users says "U US A MAC THATZ SO STUOOPED U SUK GET AREAL COMPOTER". And for the virus issue, it's not JUST because Mac OS X isn't as popular. It's also because it's more secure in the first place. Over the years, there have been 11 viruses written for Mac OS 7-9, showing people take the time to do it. Zero for Mac OS X. However, this raises another question: if Apple hadn't liscenced icons, overlapping windows, etc. to Microsoft and had always been the leader - would they make it secure in the first place? While they probably would have (it's Apple - they aren't evil, spineless ******s), there's still the possibility that they wouldn't have. So while it would be nice - it's OK if it doesn't happen.

"Viruses and malware aren't based on marketshare."

mark, you are funny

STV

586380283[/snapback]

Perhaps you could take a bit of time and read through a report that analyzes this. Look at the "Linux vs. Windows Security Report" link in my sig. In particular, page 3 of this deals with the Marketshare Myth.

You probably won't agree with all of the conclusions in here, but you should at least agree that marketshare isn't what drives malware - otherwise Apache would be frequently exploited.

"Viruses and malware aren't based on marketshare."

mark, you are funny

STV

586380283[/snapback]

hmmm i think i agree with mark, but by all means please inform us as to why you are right. the whole "well if more people used this OS then it would have viruses/spyware too!" is BS and it's one of the only defenses windows users have. mac, *nix, beos, amiga, etc wouldn't all have the same problems as windows if they were to all of a sudden gain marketshare. they operate differently and run differently (obviously). windows takes administrative privileges too lightly and thinks ease is the more important issue...which has become microsoft's downfall in its product line.