would u want apple to dominate the computer

would u want apple to dominate the computer industry  

157 members have voted

1. 1. would u want apple to dominate the computer industry

• yes
    • no
    • wouldn't make a difference to me

I tend to agree with Mark and evn show.

I would love to see Apple gain more marketshare, purely because of competition. Whatever their marketshare, I will keep using them as long as I feel they put out the best product. It would be nice to see MS sweat a little though. Perhaps them dropping down to 70ish would be a wake up call. Competition is always good for us endusers.

As far as malware, well as Mark has already said, marketshare really has nothing do with it.

marketshare has something to do with it. If you were to hold a rally outside a bad company where would u get more attention? the company with 30 workers? or 30,000? i think since almost everyone and their mom is running windows, spammers, hackers and virus makers concentrate their efforts on that OS AND internet explorer, win and ie not being secure is just an added bonus, and on top of that its HARDER for M$ to secure EVERY computer that has windows on it- a lot of peple are ust plain ignorant and dont do udates! people are still using msn 4.7!

What you don't seem to realise IconBoy is that there is none, 14million mac os x users and not 1 single bit at all nothing Zilch NADA. Some of you really need to understand the concept of Zero.

And I'm sorry to tell you this but even if they had 80% Market share it would not change that.

having a Mac is like dating Jessica Simpson :D

having Windows XP is like dating your sister :woot:

586380337[/snapback]

Haha!

But seriously, it wouldn't matter to me. I like and use both platforms.

if one company dominated computers, where would competition be? without competition the production of better products from other companies would decrease by a lot (since the competing companies would no longer exist)

I think it would be better if it was 35% Apple 35% Microsoft and 30% Linux. Would mean Linux will pretty much stay how it is now but gain better understanding with a larger user base Apple and Microsoft will be fighting it out for users and stuff like that.

I think it would be better if it was 35% Apple 35% Microsoft and 30% Linux. Would mean Linux will pretty much stay how it is now but gain better understanding with a larger user base Apple and Microsoft will be fighting it out for users and stuff like that.

586382186[/snapback]

i think if ms dropped to 35% desktop market share... they must be focusing a LOT into their other happenings, and that would mean maybe having majority market share in a variety of products rather than just desktop.. . .

iono if thats better lol.

only if I could still build my own computer and run my old stuff. Building my own computer is one of the most satisfying things I have ever done. I have never had a major problem with security (once left the computer connected to a university network while reinstalling...bad idead) and I never understood how people can find windows difficult to use. Its not hard at all. So whatever is the most useful at the time, I will use it. Right now, I like to play games with my friends at LAN parties and confining myself to blizzard games or forcing everyone else to also get a mac are not feasible options.

A no from me also ? like you said, more viruses would be developed for Macs. And there's something special about being a Mac user, you feel like your a member of a family because not a lot of people use Macs ? with PC's, you're just another face in the crowd.

586379584[/snapback]

bingo cubiz, mac users are apart of a family in a sense. ever meet a mac user on the street? you are instantly connected. its like you have a brand new friend and you dont even need to know there name. that comes from a small brand. no matter how much i would like to see apple grow and be sucessful, my selfishness in this area rains supreme. loosing that small community to a huge comglomerate would be a horrible thing and i think would kill the culture, both the user and corporate.

Well, I love Macs, I agree that MacOS X is far more advanced than Windows, BUT! It's a hard world and all the companies around work for money, so I'm sure Apple will just turn into another Micro$oft trying to dominate all the IT market if they happen to get over Micro$oft (the fact which I doubt).

No.

I like the beauty style of Macintosh, however, if you ask me to always looking at computers, MP3 players... white in colour, it would be annoying...

And, about virus, I don't quite care about it.

Once a OS requires you to pay money to use it, an amount of virus will be written, and this very depends on:

a) How secure it is (Mac. is quite safe~)

b) How deep do people love it (Many crackers and hackers love Linux, so not much virus~)

Becoz of these factors, MS's OS has got a huge amount of virus (That means it is dangerous and people hate to pay lot for so less.)

bingo cubiz, mac users are apart of a family in a sense.  ever meet a mac user on the street?  you are instantly connected.  its like you have a brand new friend and you dont even need to know there name.  that comes from a small brand.  no matter how much i would like to see apple grow and be sucessful, my selfishness in this area rains supreme.  loosing that small community to a huge comglomerate would be a horrible thing and i think would kill the culture, both the user and corporate.

586383030[/snapback]

So true. Hell, I didn't even know what your name was until you shot me a message on iChat - but I still need no time to have you listed as a friend - like Windows user to Windows user would.

Anyway, I just came upon the final argument for this thread. Why does it really matter? I agree that if Apple were to gain marketshare now, it would still be just as secure and probably have no viruses. The only way a virus will work on OS X is if you enter an admin password - the stupidity of the user. However, if they dominated in the first place, the Mac OS would probably be as insecure as Windows today. So, viruses would be written for OS X if it was more popular - but they would only work if the user wasn't that bright. But again, why does it really matter? They don't have more marketshare, they didn't kill Microsoft back when they had the chance, and the only real possibility is that they gain now, in which case the viruses written would only work if the user was an idiot. So as long as we keep idiots away from Macs - we needn't worry.

bingo cubiz, mac users are apart of a family in a sense.  ever meet a mac user on the street?  you are instantly connected.  its like you have a brand new friend and you dont even need to know there name.  that comes from a small brand.  no matter how much i would like to see apple grow and be sucessful, my selfishness in this area rains supreme.  loosing that small community to a huge comglomerate would be a horrible thing and i think would kill the culture, both the user and corporate.

586383030[/snapback]

Well said :)