coming soon: 5 bucks a gallon for gas

Im really gonn ahave to agree with you on that one.

Really everything everyone says here about the situation, when it comes down to it, unless they can show a degree in politics or economics, or soemthign of the sort, really dont mean much.

(wow that has to be THE worst grammar ive used in my entire life.. but i coudlnt think of any other way to get what i was trying to say across)

Well...I will continue to hate Bush no matter what.  I don't understand how Osama attacks our country and Bush doesn't even find the ******.

586402797[/snapback]

I love the first part of that. At least I know I shouldn't bother making an argument but I will. Do you read the news? What about this article. How about Clinton was offered several times to have Osama handed over or killed but turned them down.

"Why are they charging higher prices for gas? Because people will pay it. Apparently, we're not changing our driving habits much," he said. "Blame this on ourselves. This country has not built a new refinery in 30 years, we stopped new oil exploration . . . and put a moratorium on offshore drilling."

-------------------------------------------------------

I bet hybrids will sell pretty fast in the next few months! (if people can get them)

586392081[/snapback]

As long as we continue to buy it, they will continue to raise the prices.

Most car lots around here have one hybrid per dealer. No one appears to want them.

75% of American gas is taxes as well.

586401440[/snapback]

More like 15-20% when you add state and federal. The federal gas tax is 18.4 cents, state is 21.4 cents here in Tennessee.

Edited by adonai

As a matter of fact it is more energy-economical to drive an oil-fuelled car than an electric. Simply because so much energy is wasted in producing the electricity (ironically if you're in the States, mostly by burning oil) that it simply doesn't compare to a car where all the energy (except heat and friction losses) is transferred directly into kinetic energy.

586397336[/snapback]

You need a lesson in Thermodynamics :D Electric motors are much more efficient that gas powered engines (called Internal Combustion or IC Engines). in IC engines the heat losses are enormous and not to mention the frictional losses encountered in conventional drive train mechanisms. :no:

Electrical cars are not being produced for nothing. If clean & efficient electricity can be obtained (think solar and hydel sources), there is nothing like them :cool:

Gas is high because oil is high. Oil is high because Chine and India are buying more oil to fuel the jobs they have taken from the US and other countries... plus there is about a $10 "terrorist premium" right now because of fear terrorist will interfere with the flow of oil

586401330[/snapback]

I think it will be better if you blame people who drive highly inefficient cars instead of blaming India or china or any other country for that matter. (I hope you know that "outsourcing" also goes to south america, russia and some parts of europe).

The "jobs" that were "taken" from US are really lost because of highly unrealistic paying rates for US labor. Don't fall pray to stupid propaganda news channels like Fox and you will know the truth.

God Bless America. Indeed.

do any of you people know how many ****ing street tuners/racers wannabes are in usa at east coast?? **** load of them, they will pay whatever as long as they can drive thier "sport compact car" with thier faggaty civics, people like this pay any price they don't care.

How Many Of You Saw This **** Coming After G.W. <Bush> Made His Speech?

586392241[/snapback]

yes <snipped>, a speech and\or GW is the reason for expensive gas. let me get a pen so i can jot down your pearls of wisdom.

Edited by fred666

Does anyone realize that if we were not dependant on oil (or the whole world for that matter), the middle east would cease to exist?

586392285[/snapback]

as in, it would completely disappear from the face of the earth?

while we do get oil from the ME we also get a large percentage of our oil from other sources such as venezuala who's corrupt government does not like us at the moment. many other countries get their oil primarily from the ME so that statement contains about 0% truth.

I don't think that Bush is motivated in any way to fix the current situation with oil prices. 

586398625[/snapback]

but you speak as if it's in his very power to control every aspect of the situation. that would be an idiotic statement and i don't think that you would be that ignorant to make such a statement, right?

I am pretty lucky when it comes to gas. Prices at my local station are $2.45 a gallon for 87 octane, and it only takes about $22 USD to fill my car. I drive a 1985 Nissan Sentra, 4 cyl engine car. I only fill my tank once a month for the most part because I mainly take the car to and from work, and when I buy groceries I buy them in bulk from a wholesale store called Costco which is like Sam's Club for those on the East Coast.

The only problem is that my car is not completely reliable and has some mechanical problems here and there. The issue is finding a new or newer car that shares the same efficiency as my current car. It is somewhat hard to find a car that caters to my taste in exterior looks, because I do want a car that looks good and performs good. Beggars can't be choosers, and I would never go above a 6 cyl engine in a car if I don't have to. I prefer 4 cyl, even though some tend to be a little more gutless stock without any modifications.

Mass transit is another option, but it would cost me more per month for a pass to get me everywhere I need to go and I would still need my car for transporting groceries. Mass transit is heavily affected by rising gas prices. It is almost $2 here for a 2 hour ticket to take the bus, and there is no way you can go across town in 2 hours on the bus. It takes almost an hour and 15 minutes to take the train, and it doesn't contend with traffic like the buses do. I could just get myself a bicycle, and another option for me is to get a motorcycle but both depend on good weather and where I live I have rainy winters so that could prove to be an issue.

There are a lot of things to take into consideration, and it is easy to point fingers at people in different countries and say "so and so" is responsible for the prices. We are all responsible, we all need transportation and in some scenarios riding a bike, taking the bus, or even walking is not an option. There is a lot more to the picture, and if you are concerned about where things are going then you can do what you can to take a stand. Not everyone is gonna give up their Escalade or their Hemi 'Cuda, but one person can make a difference by not using as much as they need to. I do my best to get more by using less, and my bills aren't too bad right now :)

but you speak as if it's in his very power to control every aspect of the situation.  that would be an idiotic statement and i don't think that you would be that ignorant to make such a statement, right?

586404944[/snapback]

A question I have to you is how do you expect the president to do anything when he takes multiple 4 or 5 week vacations a year? How could someone do their job when they use their job as a way to vacation all the time? He was elected to run our country in the best interests of the voters but he runs this country in his own best interests whether it be religion, business practices, or anything else that benefit the people he has direct ties with that fund his administration. I'm sorry, but I don't feel the American public should have to be tied under what christianity thinks is best for others, or what his business partners think is best for us. Day by day we lose more of our rights and the excuse widely given is to "protect us from people who want to do us harm". I call bull**** on that. Fear is a powerful tool, and for the past 5 years fear has been used as a weapon against the public so that the Bush Administration can utilize it to work out their own personal agenda. I am not an extreme Liberal, I see positives and negatives from both sides of the fence. Think of me as a cynical realist that calls bull**** as I see it.

Edited by metro

You need a lesson in Thermodynamics  :D Electric motors are much more efficient that gas powered engines (called Internal Combustion or IC Engines). in IC engines the heat losses are enormous and not to mention the frictional losses encountered in conventional drive train mechanisms. :no:

Electrical cars are not being produced for nothing. If clean & efficient electricity can be obtained (think solar and hydel sources), there is nothing like them  :cool:

586404738[/snapback]

YES but that's what I'm getting at! The heat losses in an IC engine are nothing compared to the energy losses in producing the power, storing it, shipping it to the gas station, loading it in the car - because none of the wires used to ship the energy are superconducting you will have quite a lot of loss through electric resistivity in the wires (don't ask me too much electricity is my weak subject :p), not to mention that the current way of producing power - unless you live in 80% nuclear power France - is also hugely inefficient - boiling water basically.

So at the end of the day an electric car will use up more oil than an IC one, simply because in the IC car the energy losses only occur in the car, whereas with the electric car they also occur in production, shipping etc.

I got that from my interview at Imperial College for an engineering degree so I would think the guy knew what he was talking about :D

Basically electric cars will only "help save the world" when our power comes from "clean energy" as you said, which at the moment simply isn't happening (and probably won't happen until oil becomes so expensive it will become cheaper to invest in other sources of power).

A question I have to you is how do you expect the president to do anything when he takes multiple 4 or 5 week vacations a year? How could someone do their job when they use their job as a way to vacation all the time?

586405357[/snapback]

I get so tired of this worn out cry. Unlike your local shopkeeper, cop, fireman, factory worker, the President assumes the job at the beginning of his term and ceases to be the President at the end of his term.

No matter where he is his staff is there, whether he chooses to work in Crawford or DC, he's still on the job. Anyone with any of the half-dozen cable news channels is aware of that.

But I suppose no matter how many times it's repeated, just as with many previous administrations, many will still think the President has a 9-5 job. :rolleyes:

How Many Of You Saw This **** Coming After G.W. <Bush> Made His Speech?

586392241[/snapback]

yea, I did

Does anyone realize that if we were not dependant on oil (or the whole world for that matter), the middle east would cease to exist?

586392285[/snapback]

yea, I also realized that 4 yrs. ago.

Regardless what any one says. The oil and gas prices are going to screw this country over. This is why I'm so ****ed (and still think Bush could do more).

What materials are made out of oil? Plastic, rubber, etc. Most everything we use today is made out of something based on oil.

Here is another point. It's going to cost companies an arm and a leg to ship things out to stores now. Guess what. If it cost a lot of money for truckers to bring FOOD to a grocery store, then food prices may go up.

All of this is not just about gas and people driving around, it's about the economy is going to have to raise prices on everything. Things that used to be cheap are now going to be expensive. It will suck if food prices do go up if it takes truckers 5 times the amount of money to ship things around to stores. Which means the plants will charge more, because the truckers will have to charge more for gas, which mean the grocery store will be charged more, which means the consumer will be charged more.

So in short, the gas prices go up, then food and other things we buy and take for granted for are going to be more expensive from gas shipping cost. No company will take the heat and they prices will hit the consumers soon or later.

I get so tired of this worn out cry.  Unlike your local shopkeeper, cop, fireman, factory worker, the President assumes the job at the beginning of his term and ceases to be the President at the end of his term.

No matter where he is his staff is there, whether he chooses to work in Crawford or DC, he's still on the job.  Anyone with any of the half-dozen cable news channels is aware of that.

But I suppose no matter how many times it's repeated, just as with many previous administrations, many will still think the President has a 9-5 job.  :rolleyes:

586407030[/snapback]

I guess you have never heard of a salary. The president like many other people work on basically a salary and I beleive most people are aware of that and don't really thing he works like a 9 to 5. I work on a salary and work around the clock. If there is nothing to do, I take a break. If there is something to do or has to be one, being it 2:00am then I have to work. Same as the President.

It does seem like Bush does take a hell of a lot more vacations than the previous presidents. Used to see Clinton only rarely taking a vacation and mainly takes a jog in the morning and gets to work if not on vacation. Bush should try jogging more. Maybe the blood will run in his head and he'll start making better decisions.

These freakin politicians better get of their arse and put pressure on someone to decrease the prices and/or starting tapping domestic wells to get these prices under contrrol. The average person will find it difficult to spend $5 much less $10 on a gallon of gas. The airline industry would really be hurting if the price goes that that high, not as though their not hurting now.

I drive a 72 chevelle, i get 10mpg (calculated), and it runs on 93 octane, yeah ;)

I'm not complaining, when I go to the pump, Its because I need gas, I'm not going to say "well i guess i can go a few more miles and pray gas goes down 2 cents", yeah right, your going to fill up no matter what so stop bitching.  You cant control it so deal with it.  BTW not everyone wants to drive a hybrid, the fact is that americans like their cars and would rather pay the extra money to drive a corvette, or a v8 bmw, than a prius or something.

586397270[/snapback]

I am America and I don't like the gas prices. I do everything I can to save on fuel. It is 90 outside and we have the windows open and fans running to keep cooler. We use blankets and don't have the heat on too high in the winter. In addition I just baught the most fuel economic car I could afford. (Hybrid is much too expensive.)

My point is: People say "America thinks... or America does..." is not true. I live here because I am close to family and have a great job, but I do care very much for the environment and others. Not everybody is like what the rest of the world sees on TV...The poorer people don't usually make it on TV. I personally think that no family has any sort of a need for a hummer. I would like to see a boycott of Hummers and the people that drive them. I would love to see some MORE government subsidizing for hybrid/electric research and price controls on energy effecient vehicles.

whatever happened to researching techonolgy that would let us tap the huge (and I mean ~80% of the planets oil huge) reserves farther underground?

I guess you have never heard of a salary.  The president like many other people work on basically a salary and I beleive most people are aware of that and don't really thing he works like a 9 to 5.  I work on a salary and work around the clock.  If there is nothing to do, I take a break.  If there is something to do or has to be one, being it 2:00am then I have to work.  Same as the President.

It does seem like Bush does take a hell of a lot more vacations than the previous presidents.  Used to see Clinton only rarely taking a vacation and mainly takes a jog in the morning and gets to work if not on vacation.  Bush should try jogging more.  Maybe the blood will run in his head and he'll start making better decisions.

586407645[/snapback]

Why yes, I have, although that doesn't change the fact that the President is the President no matter where he may be. If most people were aware that his job wasn't 9-5 then there wouldn't be assinine statements thrown about everytime he flys to Crawford. There's nothing job-related in the Whitehouse that isn't with him everywhere he goes.

Since you brought up Clinton, you may be surprised to learn that he spent nearly a full-working year on foreign soils. He took more trips than any President to date.

Bill Clinton came to office in 1993 aware of the public's concern with excessive Presidential travel. During the 1992 Presidential campaign, Clinton even made an issue of this when he criticized his opponent, President George H. W. Bush, for spending too much time overseas and dodging his responsibilities at home.

Clinton spent a total of 229 days in foreign countries - nearly one full working year (see Table 2).

In terms of days out of the country, Clinton's biggest travel year was 1998 -- the same year he was fighting impeachment in the House of Representatives.

The General Accounting Office's (GAO) incomplete estimates of the costs of just half of Clinton's 54 trips total $263.6 million. The final tally of Clinton's eight years of foreign travel could easily add up to more than half a billion dollars.

http://www.ntu.org/main/press.php?PressID=218&org_name=NTU

Bush can't jog any longer due to bad knees, that's why he cycles.

Why yes, I have, although that doesn't change the fact that the President is the President no matter where he may be.  If most people were aware that his job wasn't 9-5 then there wouldn't be assinine statements thrown about everytime he flys to Crawford.  There's nothing job-related in the Whitehouse that isn't with him everywhere he goes.

Since you brought up Clinton, you may be surprised to learn that he spent nearly a full-working year on foreign soils.  He took more trips than any President to date.

http://www.ntu.org/main/press.php?PressID=218&org_name=NTU

Bush can't jog any longer due to bad knees, that's why he cycles.

586414385[/snapback]

Foreign relations and secluding yourself on your personal ranch are two different things....to me at least...I don't know about you! ;)

Foreign relations and secluding yourself on your personal ranch are two different things....to me at least...I don't know about you!  ;)

586414732[/snapback]

Well I suppose that's the difference between two Presidents. W. actually owning something that he could go to, and Clinton never having owned his own home until after leaving office. ;)

Meanwhile, gas appears to be climbing a penny a day....it's the old sneak attack

I honestly wish that martin / bush tackle this issue properly by building more refineries.  Canada has it's own Crude Oil, but all of it goes to USA.  We need to develop our resources and try to eventually eliminate the use of imported oil.

586392368[/snapback]

Takes 7 years to bring up a new refinery. We have not made a new refinery in 30 years!

The oil is not the problem. It is the fact that refineres in the U.S. are being closed for maintance. There are something like 73 total. So you can only imagine how much gas will go up just with one going offline for maintance.

There is plenty of oil... it is the refineres that are killing us. Oh and the chinese industrial revoltuion.