Top 10 Mac Apps

That application launcher is a custom-made application made by Apple for those certain features of the Apple Stores. Quicksilver won't sit as an application launcher on your dekstop, as far as I'm aware.

586534084[/snapback]

Ahh OK. That's bizarre though, the two apps look so similar. Hrm, any way I could steal the app from one of the powerbooks in the store onto a thumb drive or something? It looked really handy.

My top 10 applications list:

Camino - Web browser.

Adium - Instant messager.

VideoLAN Client - Media player.

Quicksilver - Application launcher

Seashore - Image editor.

SubEthaEdit - Text editor.

MenuMeters - CPU, memory, disk and network monitoring.

Tomato Torrent - BitTorrent client.

SilverKeeper - Backup to external storage devices.

OSXvnc - VNC Server.

I've made a list of what I consider indispensable MacOS X software...hopefully it can help new macusers get a good start with MacOS X...

Indispensable MacOS X software

586554747[/snapback]

fabulous site...a wealth of info there for a new switcher like myself

fyi, the link for OnyX is incorrect, should read http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

• 2 weeks later...

The lack of OS bundled games (apart from Chess), like Windows has, is always something that annoys me about Mac OS X.

Yesterday I looked around and found this really cool Minesweeper game for Mac OS X called ProximityMines. It has audio feedback, an animated Dock icon, the ability to flag locations, best times and more.

Anyway, it's a really fun game that does the original and even the Vista version justice.

http://www.jzinc.com/proximitymines/

post-128385-1128862416.png

Edited by Neowave

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the Adium, Minesweeper, and FetchArt applets. I sure can use those, but I hope that Adium allows MSN contact management under Yahoo when that is ready by June 2006! Also, iChat AV is driving me nuts.

As for which other applications I recommend, they include BZFlag (an online tank game), LimeWire, and Stuffit Expander (So you can open certain archives).

• 1 month later...

Shapeshifter - Change and apply themes, icons, wallpapers

Pixadex - "Like iPhoto for icons"

Candybar - Lets you easily replace system and app icons, works together with Pixadex

VLC - Video Lan Client! best media player evar

Growl - Provides notifications when stuff happens

Onyx - System cleaner, etc kinda like Tuneup Utilities cept for Macs

Not really in any sort of order, or Mac specific for some, but definitely my top 10 most used apps.

AdiumX

Mail

Safari

Whatsize

The Terminal

Blender3D

Transmit

Aquamacs Emacs

Dreamweaver Studio 8

Photoshop CS2

Colloquy

Between Emacs and the Terminal I must look like a right geek! The Terminal is used to adminstrate my server, run backups, and quick ftp access. Emacs is used for java when I'm doing uni work, and obviously the terminal is used to help compile it.

Hope the links help people who are in the dark about what some of the stuff is.

Dougal.

EDIT: Yes, now that I count it there is 11 items, back to school for me!

• 1 month later...

What's a Mac without Adobe Creative Suite 2? :D Seeing how it's the graphics designers who swear by Apple the most, that is the must-have of them all. However, VLC, AppZapper, and Monolingual are also must-haves. For those of you who don't know what monolingual is, it's a program that gets rid of all those unnecessary language files and saves a considerable amount of space (1 GB+). You can get it at http://monolingual.sourceforge.net .