Top 10 Mac Apps

Why isn't it required?

Would you also happen to know what application I can use to compile and run Java (for university)? On Windows I would use EditPlus.

Why isn't it required?

Would you also happen to know what application I can use to compile and run Java (for university)? On Windows I would use EditPlus.

Read this and this. (Note the second article is about Linux, but applies to Mac OS X as the Darwin kernel is quite similar to the Linux kernel.)

How about the Terminal (command line) and/or Eclipse?

There are lots of programming/dev apps you could use. Just Google for more. I think Eclipse would be the easiest (if slow), or if you don't mind, compile using javac inside Terminal.

What is the best web-site designer software? Is there an Adobe Dreamweaver CS available for the mac OSX? any good alternatives?

I don't listen to music as much on iTunes anymore but I think with the OpenCourseWear its my #1 app.

1. iTunes (see above)

2. rSync

3. Webkit

4. DragonBurn

5. Devonthink

6. AppCleaner

7. MPlayer OSX

8. Himmel Bar

9. Textpander

10. CombinePDFs

There's a few apps I'd like to list, but they run too slow on my G5. I've got to get around to using Quicksilver though I've been saying that for the last year. :(

• 1 month later...

I've not seen it listed, but I really like AppFresh - http://metaquark.de/appfresh/ - it keeps all of your apps up to date.

Would anyone know of another VNC client, other than Chicken of the VNC. It just doesn't seem to work as well as Windows VNC clients for some reason.

Cyberduck is the best FTP app, but also likes to crash a fair bit.

I've not seen it listed, but I really like AppFresh - http://metaquark.de/appfresh/ - it keeps all of your apps up to date.

Would anyone know of another VNC client, other than Chicken of the VNC. It just doesn't seem to work as well as Windows VNC clients for some reason.

http://www.jinx.de/JollysFastVNC.html

Been using this. Really nice app.

i agree - doesn't crash that much for me though - have you seen flow? looks real nice, not gonna be free i'm guessing

i tried out appfresh at one time - the listings for updates of some apps are wrong, it kept saying there were updates for say jetclock when there actually weren't any, so i just uninstalled it - most apps are self checking anyways

• 3 months later...

This thread dates back from 2005 and thus I'm closing it as it's getting cluttered at the top of the forum.

There's already a similar software thread stickied at the top, so feel free to post your favorite applications in that thread if needed. This will also make it easier for me to update the index of software where it's all in one thread.