Just Installed Linux

Originally posted by Spacce

to LOG on as root, click on the K

and log out

it should have a login screen, you type username: root password: your password..

but you rarely need to do that.

and I wouldn't do that above actually

usually if you need to install something as "root" in kde or something mandrake will prompt you for the password

from the console if you need to run something from there

check steps 3 and 4 of the pic

yeah, but how do i move files with the console?

with the "mv" command

mv = move

type: mv filename /home/$username/directory/???/ << example only

for more help type mv --help

Originally posted by Spacce

superuser = root :)

i understand that. i was just saying, i thought you were never supposed to actually go to the log-in screen, and type "root" as user, etc. I thought you were only supposed to log in as root using SU, inside a REGULAR user account. get what i'm trying to say? :s

you move stuff with the mv command.

type "man mv" for more info

Originally posted by BroChaos

i understand that. i was just saying, i thought you were never supposed to actually go to the log-in screen, and type "root" as user, etc. I thought you were only supposed to log in as root using SU, inside a REGULAR user account. get what i'm trying to say? :s

you move stuff with the mv command.

type "man mv" for more info

your right, its highly not recommended unless you know what your doing.

like in Windows NT, I was taught taking networking classes to just make an administrative account and not use administrator ..

safety mainly..

Ok.. ok... you've just installed Linux... well congratulations!!!

if you had used dos, you should find some commands very similar, in fact most distro's use Dos aliases for linux commands....

anyway, here's few hints:

cp = copy....

mv = move...

rn = rename

cd = change dir (rememeber to put a space after like cd / )

su = switch user, without an user name root is the default user

md = create a directory

if you have some problems with a command just type :

man it will display the manual page for that command

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok... now, i suggest you look at the mandrake site, you should find the .rpm version of the packages you want to install (eg. Kde, Mozilla, and so on). These are pre-compiled packages for your disto, most distros have like red Hat, SuSe, Mandrake and Debian....

Rpms are easier to install, i'm sure Mandrake come out with an rpm installer for his packages (i don't use mandrake but i'm pretty sure it has to be somewhere).

Just download the rpm and install them, you won't have to worry about anything else....

good luck!

Originally posted by Impulfusion

oojjj... sweet it worked. thx dude. thc very much to help me! i know, i'm a linux newbie :/

gotta start somewhere. :)

ok, i got 2 other questions: what IM should i use for linux that can have MSN Messenger in it? and where can i get KDE3 .RPM ?

Thank You...

&lt;pre&gt;hatter# [color=red]cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.amsn.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/amsn login[/color]

Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@cvs.amsn.sourceforge.net:2401/cvsroot/amsn

CVS password: [color=red]&lt;enter&gt;[/color]

hatter# [color=red]cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.amsn.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/amsn co msn[/color]

hatter# [color=red]cd msn[/color]

hatter# [color=red]./amsn[/color]

&lt;/pre&gt;

Red = stuff you type

Originally posted by Hatter
&lt;pre&gt;hatter# [color=red]cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.amsn.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/amsn login[/color]

Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@cvs.amsn.sourceforge.net:2401/cvsroot/amsn

CVS password: [color=red]&lt;enter&gt;[/color]

hatter# [color=red]cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.amsn.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/amsn co msn[/color]

hatter# [color=red]cd msn[/color]

hatter# [color=red]./amsn[/color]

&lt;/pre&gt;

Red = stuff you type

lets clarify, where do i extract the files from that " zip " and the anonymous@cvs.amsn.sourceforge.net will be remplaced by my @hotmail adress? or what?

Just type it exactly as it is and amsn will work ;) There is no zip files involved. In fact, there are rarely zip files in Linux. Mostly just gzipped tar files.

Just type it exactly as it is and amsn will work ;) There is no zip files involved. In fact, there are rarely zip files in Linux. Mostly just gzipped tar files.

it' s not working, it give me this error: cvs: unknown command

Originally posted by Impulfusion

it' s not working, it give me this error: cvs: unknown command

Wow. Mandrake doesn't install cvs by default. How nice.

Might as well just download the tarball, and get a better distro.

Wow. Mandrake doesn't install cvs by default. How nice.

Might as well just download the tarball, and get a better distro.

wich one? i got MDK 8.2

You can download KDE 3 for Mandrake 8.2, but I heard you have to uninstall KDE 2.2.2 first. I removed Linux off my system since the X server lost all of my passwords recently, even my root. And no, there isn't Internet Explorer for Linux! Use Mozilla 1.1a instead!

I've just installed kde 3 on mine..

I've think I've done somethings wrong, I still have 2.2.2 whichever and that works fine, so does 3.0 but switching back and forth they lose their visual styles.. and their both the same..

dunno. it works though, just a little buggy.

The reason is that KDE 3 won't overwrite KDE 2.2.2 on Mandrake 8.2 and that ticks me off. If I knew how to force the over-ride, then I'd be all set. The same goes for Gnome 2 through Garnome.

Originally posted by Webgraph

I removed Linux off my system since the X server lost all of my passwords recently, even my root.

Uhm... the X server has nothing to do with passwords. There is absolutly no way it would lose your account passwords. :)

Originally posted by karmakillernz

Uhm... the X server has nothing to do with passwords. There is absolutly no way it would lose your account passwords. :)

Indeed.

I don't know how he got that confused.

--

unspec