Are you switching to Opera 8.50 Free?

502 members have voted

1. 1. Are you switching to Opera 8.50 Free?

• 1. Yes
    • 2. No
    • 3. Maybe - still undecided

Switched to 8.5 for awhile but I'm back to Firefox now, somehow I don't like how the tabs show in Classic. Maybe I'll wait for Merlin and see how they revamp the interface. Someone should really set a standard as to how tab should look in Classic as in a tab, not a rectangle box.

Well now that Opera is nice and clean (and free!) I've installed it alongside Firefox and IE7(Beta), gotta say much better without that damn ad! :laugh: ...Firefox is still my prefered browser but Opera still installed and I do still take it for a spin now and then :happy:

Same here.

586557538[/snapback]

I don't get it.

How can you complain that Opera's UI "shows too much"? It has like one more button in the address bar than Firefox, and fewer menus in the menu bar...

Just a comment about the UI, just because everyone's been going on about this.

Both Firefox and Opera have very customizable UIs. It's just a matter of what you are familiar with.

Give me any screenshot of Firefox, and I can probably reproduce it in Opera. The only thing that I haven't been able to do is get buttons onto the menu bar itself. I can get the menu items as buttons on another toolbar and hide the menu bar, so that's close enough for most people.

Can I give a suggestion to everyone who says that it's too frusterating to customize Opera? Ask before you give up. Give a screenshot of what you want to do (perhaps the FF equivalent) and post around here. I'm sure that there are plenty of people here who are willing to help you out.

As for security... it's not a big problem with Firefox since most of the vulnerabilities aren't very serious, but they are there. Opera - 0 unpatched. Firefox - 3 unpatched. Yes, I know... I'm nit-picky. ;)

I'll stick wit teh red O for now.

Red-O !

just come up with a nickname : Reddo

maybe silly but

"Opera" always suggest people about songs & dance first, rather than a browser.

Edited by serafins

Opera is really nice, but I can't leave FF. Even when it abuses me, I still use it.

It's like a tank. Wait, no, it's like driving in a Hummer compared to driving in a sedan (opera) or Tricycle (IE)

Go to Tools > Appearance

You can drag and drop buttons on toolbars from there, disable toolbars, change placement, change skins, drag new buttons onto toolbars, etc.

586556581[/snapback]

oh yea? then why can't i move the tabs under the address and navigation bars?

586559817[/snapback]

I agree there on both counts, but you can move just about everything else...when it decides to work.

post-59529-1127337681_thumb.jpg

586559817[/snapback]

You can actually...

See?

Instead of saying "why can't I...", ask "how do I...". For the above, you have to think a little bit outside of the box.

1) Show the Main Bar and set it to "Top".

2) Remove all items in the Main Bar.

3) Copy (i.e. drag) all items in the address bar to the Main Bar.

4) Set Page Bar to "Top".

5) Unshow Address Bar.

6) Tada!!!

i never expected me to switch to any other browser from IE but after installing it to visit some site that even IE can't view i found myself setting it to become my default broswer...gotta love the ui...but then again i might go back to ie7 when the final comes out who knows.

You can actually...

See?

Instead of saying "why can't I...", ask "how do I...". For the above, you have to think a little bit outside of the box.

1) Show the Main Bar and set it to "Top".

2) Remove all items in the Main Bar.

3) Copy (i.e. drag) all items in the address bar to the Main Bar.

4) Set Page Bar to "Top".

5) Unshow Address Bar.

6) Tada!!!

586560466[/snapback]

alright, fair enough. but that's far more complicated and harder to figure out than firefox, which is simply drag n' drop. anyways, i'm just kinda playing around with opera, it's not bad at all.

downloaded and uninstalled in less than 10 min

586560691[/snapback]

May I ask why? 10 minutes isn't enough time to get used to a browser. It took me a good week to decide that I didn't like Firefox (I like that "instant" feel of Opera and Maxthon).
alright, fair enough. but that's far more complicated and harder to figure out than firefox, which is simply drag n' drop. anyways, i'm just kinda playing around with opera, it's not bad at all.

586560790[/snapback]

I think that this is the only example that is this complicated. However... I just installed Firefox on my computer (no extensions yet)... I can't seem to drag the tab bar on top of the Address Bar. :unsure: Are you sure it's not an extension that adds functionality to tabs?

I like the fact that Opera has many more features built in. Some people call that bloat... I call it useful. It means that the average user doesn't need to go very far to find what they want.

Wheres the option for "already switched"?

I'm sticking with Opera as my default browser with Firefox as a sidedish. I just upgraded Moveable Type to 3.2 and it doesnt look proper in Opera, but that wont stop me from using it as my main browser.

Shamme Opera's engine does not support Gmail properly and what I like about Firefox is the extensions, mainly the Tweak Network settings which make it as fast as opera.

586557914[/snapback]

What doesn't it support?