Kursk sunk by US Submarie

** Kursk sunk by US Submarine **

http://www20.sbs.com.au/sbs_front/proginfo.php?id=10478

SBS TV documentary, Australia.

"Kursk A Submarine In Troubled Waters

This documentary from French filmmaker Jean-Michel Carr? follows a three-year investigation into the Russian nuclear submarine, the Kursk, which sank with its crew in the Barents Sea in August 2000.

According to the documentary, shortly after Vladimir Putin was crowned President of Russia, he initiated big manoeuvres in the Barents Sea, with the dual purpose to restore the Russian Federation's military prestige, and to impress the high level Chinese military brass invited discretely to attend this show of force.

The highlight of these manoeuvres was going to be the launch by the Kursk of an ultramodern torpedo, the Schkval, said to be able to travel underwater at speeds of up to 500 km per hour, more than eight times faster than western torpedoes. This torpedo, also fitted with a depleted uranium head, helped the Kursk to earn its nickname of ?aircraft carrier killer'.

The United States, understandably worried by the prospect of the Chinese purchasing such a weapon, kept a close watch on the manoeuvres, with two US submarines, another British one, and two spy ships (one from NATO and one from Norway).

On the morning of 12 August 2000, the Kursk radioed that it was rising to a depth of 18m, and initiating the launch of the Schkval. The subsequent radio silence was broken only by the sound of two explosions. (From France, in English, Russian and French, English subtitles) CC"

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/may20...505kursksub.htm

"A US military source in the documentary declares the hole to be the trademark evidence of an American MK-48 torpedo, which is made to melt cleanly through steel sheet due to a mechanism at its tip that combusts copper.

The film suggests the attack happened while two US submarines, the Toledo and Memphis, were shadowing the Kursk in a routine military exercise.

The documentary says the Toledo accidentally collided with the Kursk, at which point the Russian submarine opened its torpedo tubes, leading to an attack from the Memphis, which was protecting the damaged Toledo while it retreated.

The cause of the sinking was covered up at the time in an act of diplomacy between then US presidents Bill Clinton and Russian President Vladimir Putin ? a deal that included the cancellation of $US10 billion ($12.5 billion) of Russian debt, the film states."

i saw a documentary which said that it was the old style torpedos which were in the Kursk.In the torpedos there was a gas which combusted and expanded when it touched metal, which the gas leaked out of the chamber where it was used for propulsion (i think) it leaked, and exploded causing the whole torpedo bay to explode.

Or something along those lines, but the above post is interesting.:)

I have no doubt that everyone was watching this sub but i do not belive anyone is stupid enough to fire on it.

I always tought that the a torpedo had some problem such as fuel which caused all the others to go of and rip open the sub

• 3 weeks later...

first of all i was a submariner in the navy. i was stationed on a fast attack submarine. so i do have some background on this topic. the kursk was not sunk by a us sub. the kursk was an oscar class submarine, about 2 1/2 times the size of a u.s. fast attack sub. if a u.s. sub actually did hit the kursk hard enough to sink there would be an american sub laying on the bottom of the ocean as well.

i saw a documentary which said that it was the old style torpedos which were in the Kursk.In the torpedos there was a gas which combusted and expanded when it touched metal, which the gas leaked out of the chamber where it was used for propulsion (i think) it leaked, and exploded causing the whole torpedo bay to explode.

Or something along those lines, but the above post is interesting.:)

586573355[/snapback]

the torpedos in the kursk were about as long as a greyhound bus. huge things.