Faster that light speed... Impossible?

I know it is meant to be impossible....(oops, forgot the im!) I just started doing a 4 year Physics degree at Warwick but I had a crazy idea...

Sound Waves... travel at 300 metres per second.

Light (Photons if you like) travels at 300000000 metres per second.

However, Sound waves require a medium to move. They travel 300ms-1 in air, however if you were to double the density in which they were travelling, they would travel twice as fast. In water, sound waves travel 7 times faster than in air.

Anyway, If it were possible to create a VERY dense object, would it be possible to accelerate soundwaves faster than light? The object would not need to be INFINITELY dense (as light travels at a finite speed, c.), however it would need to be INCREDIBLE dense.

If it were possible to make a solid this dense, would my theory be correct?

Edited by Guest

Light exists as a particle and as a wave.

Sound exists as a wave... the bitch is that God never thought of creating shops that sell particles of sound so the answer is a great big fat (dense) NO.

There was a time that humanity was convinced that it would be impossible to travel at the speed of sound or faster. They were proven wrong.

Fact is that we don't know for sure if it's impossible to go faster than light, Einstein could be entirely wrong. We just don't have the required technological knowledge but someday we probably will.

Anyway, If it were possible to create a VERY dense object, would it be possible to accelerate soundwaves faster than light? The object would not need to be INFINITELY dense (as light travels at a finite speed, c.), however it would need to be INCREDIBLE dense.

586590379[/snapback]

It would have to be incredibly dense like diamonds, but theoretically yes it would be possible. The problem is testing this theory.

sorta off topic, but what happens when someone runs with a torch?

586590438[/snapback]

nothing. Light moves so fast that you have no influence on the speed of light from the lamp.

im pretty sure if it was possible someone would have figured it out by now :D

586590411[/snapback]

Wonder how many times that's been said through the ages...

I know it is meant to be impossible....(oops, forgot the im!) I just started doing a 4 year Physics degree at Warwick but I had a crazy idea...

Sound Waves... travel at 300 metres per second.

Light (Photons if you like) travels at 300000000 metres per second.

However, Sound waves require a medium to move. They travel 300ms-1 in air, however if you were to double the density in which they were travelling, they would travel twice as fast. In water, sound waves travel 7 times faster than in air.

586590379[/snapback]

First, congrats on choosing physics. I'm finishing up my degree this year in that major, it's quite interesting. I'm taking a course in Relativity this term, so that'll be interesting.

However, in regards to traveling faster then the speed of light, it is physically possible

ref: http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae219.cfm

As for your original question, based on mechanical physics, not what some universities call "modern" physics (taking into account all the issues with traveling at high velocities), the speed of sound =

v = (Beta/p)^1/2

V = velocity

Beta = bulk modulus of elasiticy

p (rho) - density

Basically, it's the (density / the measure of how much the substance sound is traveling in could be compacted for the given pressure) ^ (1/2)

Edited by BigDaddy5