"fully loaded" Linux distro

I've noticed that in most of the Linux distros I've tried that you have to install programs that allow you to do certain things such as play mp3s, or watch movies through a web browser. I've never had to do that on a mac OS (don't say anything, I know this isn't OSX) are there any distro out there that come with everything set up (mp3 support, javi installed, ect.) or anything close to it, and just to make things more difficult, it's a ppc box.

Thanks for your time.

Oops, im not sure if theres a ppc version. If not Id just go with ubuntu and use the millions of how-to's on how to set it up found on this board and on the web.

there is no PPC MEPIS, I really want to try Ubuntu/Debian, but anytime I install anything with a Debian base or Debian itself, Xserver doesn't work right.

SuSE 9.3 is also a good choise,

MP3 support is easy to solve, just add some YaST sources like packman, and packman, and you can install the xine codec and the w32codecs and you have all you need and plays everything.

Suse 9.3 has adobe reader, macromedia flash, sun java, real player.

Don't you think you are possibly being a little unreasonable? I mean if you don't want to install anything yourself and want everything free, can't you see that this mean that you are expecting developers to foot the bill for paying for licences for you to use all this stuff?

There in't anything to stop you adding it yourself - and then it can be free. But there is a big difference between being a linux vendor and giving your OS away for free - and being a linux vendor and giving your money away for free as well.

If you can think of a way that would make sense, I'm sure a lot of people would be very interested in what you have to say.

GJ

This has got to be the silliest thing I have ever read. Mac OS has this stuff from the instance I turn it on for the first time. Do you not understand that you PAID for that priveledge? To expect things to be given to you hand over foot is just plain ignorance.

There's two things about Suse:

1. I don't think it's free.

2. I don't think it has PPC support.

586610050[/snapback]

Then forget it, if you don't want to pay for a distro with everything I told you there was in, or get a distro

wich is stripped off commercial stuff, becos the distro has to pay for it to put in the distro.

Good luck

ps: Remember you pay for support, not for the distro, it ain't microsoft windows

SUSE Linux 10.0 OSS RC1 (PPC Version)

Still a development build, but should be stable.

http://www.opensuse.org/Download

It should come with most of the things you want... it has Yast which will give you access to most of the updates.

As for everything working out of the box... thats a bit far fetched for free.

OSX works on Apple built machines, so they know exactly whats in the box... they only have to write code for there hardware. And you pay for the right to have it work out of the box.

Gentoo!

Heh, "fully loaded" might have a different definition here...

586613269[/snapback]

I've tried to install Gentoo from stage one, but I hit a snag when it comes to kernel configuration, and genkernel doesn't seen to want to work right.

Xserver and my Ati card have conflicts and I can never get Ubuntu or anything Debian based to work.

586616903[/snapback]

I don't think you're going to find a free distro that has proprietary software and doesn't use Xserver

If you want mp3, dvd support out of the box, you will have to buy a commercial disro. There's no way around it. Having said that, most free distros make it pretty easy to install that stuff after install.

yeah, but XFree86 (at least I think that's what it is) conflict with my ATI Rage Mobility card... I wish I could figure it out, cause it looks like a great distro

yeah, but XFree86 (at least I think that's what it is) conflict with my ATI Rage Mobility card..

I bet I could fix it.

Xfree errors are usually easy to sort out. You probably just need to read up on how to configure X for your mac. Thousands of people do run Debian type distros on Mac - and they seem to be pretty happy with it. You have to ask, how can they do that and you can't? Is linux broken, or is my understanding of how to get it working broken or incomplete?

After all, it's not like the world of Mac is the same as the world of PC's. There aren't endless different thousands of types of configurations out there - so they are all pretty easy to support.

I'm a bit short on time, but maybe someone else can tell you how to edit your xorg or xfree config file specifically for the mac and what driver to use. Better still you could always just google it for yourself, as that is all I and most other people would do.

But like I said, I bet the answer is really quick and easy.

GJ

Yeah, I'll look into it, it's was all just overwhelming because it spit so many errors at me so fast, and I'm not really that familliar with linux quite yet.

I'm thinking about giving Ubuntu another crack, last time I really didn't get anywhere and I tried the support message boards and everything.

Edited by bmbeeman