"fully loaded" Linux distro

Errors are useful. You should read them. They are there for a reason. They also often provide a great way to start to search for useful info on Google too.

BTW an error in Linux doesn't really mean something is broken. It often just means that there is a step missing, or something you forgot (or maybe don't know how to) do yet.

It's never really enough just to say X doesn't work. The real thing to say is that X doesn't work because...

There is always, always, always a reason and 9 times out of ten the reason is given in the error.

You might not understand all these errors yet, but as soon as you grasp what the error is and what it is saying, you are already 90% of the way towards resolving it.

GJ

I've tried to install Gentoo from stage one, but I hit a snag when it comes to kernel configuration, and genkernel doesn't seen to want to work right.

586613936[/snapback]

Gentoo can be tricky. I had to try 3 times before I got it to work hitch-less. I think many people screw up the X config in Gentoo. I know that I did. The latest version of the install doesn't seem to have as many bugs as other versions. (Don't even get me started on 2004.2)

If you want Gentoo but don't want to go through the trouble of a text based install, try out VidaLinux. It uses the Anaconda Installer and still keeps portage.

--Alex

Well I figure there's a lot of help to found on these boards and the Ubuntu site (including yet another set of boards) so I might as well get working on those errors, it seems a lot easier than I expected from what Raid said.

I've tried to install Gentoo from stage one, but I hit a snag when it comes to kernel configuration, and genkernel doesn't seen to want to work right.

586613936[/snapback]

There's some binary install methods for gentoo out now as well, you might want to check forums.gentoo.org. Also, as far as genkernel goes, some people use it, most don't. I think it's best to do it the old fasioned way, and have a kernel that looks like you want it to. The difficulty of compiling the kernel is also really overrated, it's just a matter of knowing what hardware you have, and the basic "make && make modules && make modules_install" method of compiling/installing that you should know anyway. Just be sure to go through everything, first time compiling is always the hardest, after that you can do it in your sleep.