How do I persuade my parents...

For a few weeks now, my dad has known that I want new computer and that I want it in my room. I told him that I would pay for the computer and he said he's fine with it. Now for my mom it wasn't so easy. I had to make an agreement that I would stay on the honor roll at my high school in order to keep the computer in my room. Now, my dad decides to change his mind and "dosen't know" if he wants it in my room or not. :dead: :dead: :dead: He dosen't want me in my bedroom all the time, like my mom in hers with her computer and my sister in her room with her laptop. He says that I have "family interaction" because i'm in the dining room on the computer and he can talk to me from the living room. He wants the family to have interaction with each other, and half the time he's not home because he's at work.

Do any of you have suggestions on how to persuade them to let me get a computer in my bedroom?

y cant u have ur comp in ur room like ur mom and sis!?!?

if u pay for it..u should be able to do wat u want wit it..as it is urs for after all...

or do the old..Mom did u ever do the honors thing at school kinda thing

:)

Originally posted by DigitalDJ

y cant u have ur comp in ur room like ur mom and sis!?!?

if u pay for it..u should be able to do wat u want wit it..as it is urs for after all...

or do the old..Mom did u ever do the honors thing at school kinda thing

:)

My sister is a freshman in college and mom didn't have a computer in her room when she was a kid

Well I see that everybody in your family has a computer (and they use the computer in their room) so why doesn't your father let you have one too? Your dad wants the family to have interaction with each other and won't let you have a computer in your room... What about your mom and your sister? I believe your mom and your sister are part of the family as well...

Originally posted by Qarth

Get a job...save...get good computer...YOUR COMPUTER...they can't stop you...

o, i've got the money.. check the specs for the comp here but please don't turn this thread into how to upgrade my non-existant computer yet. that's for another thread :)

Originally posted by xan_san

Well I see that everybody in your family has a computer (and they use the computer in their room) so why doesn't your father let you have one too? Your dad wants the family to have interaction with each other and won't let you have a computer in your room... What about your mom and your sister? I believe your mom and your sister are part of the family as well...

i know. that's what i say, except that i don't try my hardest in school, but that's why i made the agreement with my mom. i'm thinking that it'll give me some motivation in school if i have a computer in my room and i'd get it taken away if i didn't do to good, because if i didn't make the honor roll in school, the computer is what stopped me from making it because i spent too much time on it

man giantsny or whatever. stfu. you didn't help the guy. you just told us how youre so ****ing big and great and have 4 computers. we don't give a ****. and theyre probably all ****ty ones. and if not your parents are really stupid.

anyways back to the topic. get it yourself. it's a very nice computer i checked the link. youre 16. old enough to own a car. a computer's alot less of a responsibility. get it yourself. say dad it's my money my computer. just for the first few weeks maybe, try and not go on it like a computer freak 24/7. don't make your dad too sad/mad whatever. and stay in school and do good. not just for your dad for yourself. good luck.

if your dad wants family interaction

what can have more interaction than a messenger program :D

that way the whole family can have a computer each hooked up to the net and chat all they want of course you will block them immedietly

(:D who talks to the family now days anyway :D)

Originally posted by Generation X

get it yourself. it's a very nice computer i checked the link. youre 16. old enough to own a car. a computer's alot less of a responsibility. get it yourself. say dad it's my money my computer. just for the first few weeks maybe, try and not go on it like a computer freak 24/7. don't make your dad too sad/mad whatever. and stay in school and do good. not just for your dad for yourself. good luck.

my dad would be ****ed if i just got it myself, for spending over a grand without consulting him (he's a financial freak). As for the computer freak thing, that's what i plan on doing because i don't want to make him too mad.

I'm planning on actually doing the honor roll thing. I think it will give me quite a bit of motivation to stay on the honor roll just to keep MY computer in my room.

Originally posted by DJ^TuRKiYe

if your dad wants family interaction

what can have more interaction than a messenger program :D

that way the whole family can have a computer each hooked up to the net and chat all they want of course you will block them immedietly

(:D who talks to the family now days anyway :D)

hehe. i have a bunch of multi-player games. i can just imagine telling him for everyone get together for some fragging!!:)

our family dosen't really talk too much, and if we do, we go straight to the point

Yeah if the computer was purchased by your own money then you should have the right to put it in your own room. Your parents should have nothing to do with it...and you know that will be your responsibility anyway.

Originally posted by Winston

man its funny since uve got a toshiba dvd now and its 14x are u gonna buy a new one just for that extra 2x?..

i'm getting it from a friend for free :)

Originally posted by altezza

Yeah if the computer was purchased by your own money then you should have the right to put it in your own room. Your parents should have nothing to do with it...and you know that will be your responsibility anyway.

i know. i just wish my parents would see it that way :(

oh yea. this might be sorta important to add. I go to a Catholic high school, of which my parents pay for. So, I guess in a way they don't wanna lose money by me not doing well in school with a computer in my room. If I wouldn't make the honor roll, it would be because I am spending too much time on the computer, therefore by taking it away I would spend more time getting A's in school than being on the computer

Originally posted by chrisnelis

Use the "its for my education" line and get them to pay thats what parents are for.

i've tried it, and it's helped. a little. just to get it into my room

yipee. dad just got up. i'm gonna have a talk... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by JasonC1986

oh yea. this might be sorta important to add. I go to a Catholic high school, of which my parents pay for. So, I guess in a way they don't wanna lose money by me not doing well in school with a computer in my room. If I wouldn't make the honor roll, it would be because I am spending too much time on the computer, therefore by taking it away I would spend more time getting A's in school than being on the computer

Aha, wrong argument!! As a history teacher who's teaching at a Dutch highschool I can tell you that a PC can make a Big difference in getting good grades. Your papers will look organized [that's something most teachers care for] and via the Internet you will have acces to loads and loads of info for any assignment you will get.

Suggest a agreement about how many hours a day will be spent as free time on your PC. And point out what I said here above.

Succes Jason!