[review] Logitech G7

I officialy had about every Logitech mouse that's out there .. MX300, MX500, MX700, MX900, MX1000 and MX510. I can now add a G7 to that list.

I don't even know where to start, a part from : this mouse is friggin great!! and is worth every penny!

I'll just sum up some of the cool and less cool features:

:woot:

* The same mold as a MX500/10/18, is approx. 99% perfect for my right hand.

* you don't run out of juicy with the 2 accu's (use 1, charge the other).

* Accu life is about 12 hours - at 1050DPI setting.

* Button for "Turbo" charging accu in charger - 2h instead of normal 10h

* Leds (for DPI setting and accu life) are friggin cool! They alternate, and 'fade' out.

* There's a led on the bottom, which is off if the laser 'sees' something - like a fridge!

* No standby mode, there's an on/off button on the bottom.

* Up/down scrollwheel, and left/right tilt (oooh, look around corners in games!).

* No lag whatsoever in games, feels just like a wired mouse.

* Direct DPI change function - very handy in Photoshop.

* Setpoint 2.42a, which feels faster and more stable.

* USBkey-like receiver, no bulky charge-station like the MX700/900/1000.

* Very large feet, glides better than my MX510+hyperglides+corepad.

* No 'logitech' stickers, all text is "printed" on the mouse.

:blush:

* Logitech removed the 'forward' button', there's only a 'back' thumb-button.

* Louder scrollwheel than MX510/700/900, although it has left/right tilting.

* No cruise-control anymore (there were scroll down/up buttons on my MX510).

* Color, it's dark-greenish and grey, doesn't go well with my rig :p

Here are some pics:

DSC00590_resize.JPGDSC00588_resize.JPGDSC00587_resize.JPG

More: http://gallery.damn.be/v/Computers/hardware/g7/

If anyone need the 2592x1944, yell.

If you have other questions, also ... yell :p

do they make black or some other non weird looking one?

586618677[/snapback]

excactly

mouse might be good inside, but it looks god damn horrible

Lost my vote.

586619402[/snapback]

yea

plus the cruise up and down button that i binded in games

do they make black or some other non weird looking one?

586618677[/snapback]

My original plan was to wait for a black version to be available, but seeing that the black MX1000 is not available here yet, I just went for this version. It's really not that bad, the green is really dark, almost black...

Lost my vote.

586619402[/snapback]

I didn't use that button anyway, and if you really need a forward button, you can assign a left of right mousewheel-tilt to it...

yea

plus the cruise up and down button that i binded in games

586619506[/snapback]

The MX518 didn't have up and down buttons either. But you can remap any button on the mouse with the Setpoint drivers...

you sure spend lot of money in mouse.

586619527[/snapback]

Yeah, I need a sticker "I <3 Logitech" :)

yea, I really dont understand logitech's...logic on taking away the forward button...

I just bought a G5 and I miss it :(

I ended up setting up the wheel click to do it though, so I should get used to it...

I think logitech is going to innovate their mice into the ground.? They have already perfected the mouse (MX700/MX1000) why would they change the design?

586636129[/snapback]

If you say Logitech already perfected their mice, then you obviously don't know what perfect is because there are many improvements in the new mice.

Do you not understand that the MX1000 was an 800dpi mouse, and the G7/G5 are 2000dpi mice? The MX1000 had a built in battery and different hand formation than the G7? Do you also realise they have improved the laser system with things like it won't auto shut off the laser when lifting during gaming etc.? This is a totally different mouse for a totally different purpose.

MX700 doesn't even compare, that isn't even a laser mouse.

The MX1000 is meant for people who just want an expensive laser mouse for work and desktop usage, the 800dpi won't cut it for a "hardcore" gamer and there are some flaws that keep it from being the ultimate gaming mouse. The G5/G7 have the improvements and all the functions needed to succeed into bringing laser mice to the mainstream gaming/enthusiast crowd to sort of have a lineup that gives people choice between an optical or laser mouse depending on how much they are willing to spend.

The USB reports is at 500 a second with the new mice, compared to 100 a second with the old mice. That combined with the high DPI give these mice a definate edge. Logitech likes to evolve, that's what people like about them;))

Man...  that thing is sexy!

586617778[/snapback]

it cracks me up when people refer to a computer mouse or almost any other part of a computer as sexy, allbeit, it's a wicked looking mouse... but not sexy. oh well, their opinion and not mine, it's just funny :laugh:

Shame at the lack of buttons :(

I have the MX510 and love it...

This is bad becuze the G7 look very sweet... :(

The lack of a forward button does bother me, though, not nearly as much as the tilt wheel. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I fail to see the usefullness of the tilt wheel. I suppose it might be useful to bind to stuff in games, but in normal applications it's just awkward to use. When you scroll up and down the movement of your finger is natural, but having to push to the sides is strange. Also, my biggest complaint with tilt wheels is when you're browsing the web with <<insert your favorite web browser here>> and you go to middle click a link to open it in a tab, it is far too easy to activate the tilt wheel instead of middle clicking.

I'd be very happy with a 5-button mouse with the cool wireless and high DPI features of the G7. Oh well, maybe the G8 will fit my needs. :)

*sigh* I'm going to have to wait till the G53532094329430^3243 when they put the other thumb button back in, I'm sure it won't be way too long, seeing as fast as the mx510 and mx518 came out.

I officialy had about every Logitech mouse that's out there .. MX300, MX500, MX700, MX900, MX1000 and MX510. I can now add a G7 to that list.

I'm sure you dont have their entire line up from past to present.. :p

you dont have the MX610 or the MX518 for starters.. :whistle:

so with your experence. is it worth it to replace my MX1000 mouse? :p

If you say Logitech already perfected their mice, then you obviously don't know what perfect is because there are many improvements in the new mice.

Do you not understand that the MX1000 was an 800dpi mouse, and the G7/G5 are 2000dpi mice? The MX1000 had a built in battery and different hand formation than the G7? Do you also realise they have improved the laser system with things like it won't auto shut off the laser when lifting during gaming etc.? This is a totally different mouse for a totally different purpose.

MX700 doesn't even compare, that isn't even a laser mouse.

The MX1000 is meant for people who just want an expensive laser mouse for work and desktop usage, the 800dpi won't cut it for a "hardcore" gamer and there are some flaws that keep it from being the ultimate gaming mouse. The G5/G7 have the improvements and all the functions needed to succeed into bringing laser mice to the mainstream gaming/enthusiast crowd to sort of have a lineup that gives people choice between an optical or laser mouse depending on how much they are willing to spend.

The USB reports is at 500 a second with the new mice, compared to 100 a second with the old mice. That combined with the high DPI give these mice a definate edge. Logitech likes to evolve, that's what people like about them ;)

586637790[/snapback]

I would guess by 'design', he meant the shape of the mouse and number of buttons or the placement. If you really knew much about the MX1000, you would know that the current MX1000 does not shut off its laser when you pick it up. Some earlier ones may have, but this has never happened to me. How can you say that this mouse will not cut it for a "hardcore" gamer? I play a vast number of games with my MX1000, as do many other people. I fare just as well as some of my friends who use wired mice, and no, they do not suck at gaming.

Of course they improved some things with the new mice, but some of your statements seem ignorant.