Official NHL 2005-2006 Season Thread

I can't believe you even question Thorntons importance to the Sharks. Thornton took this team from nothing to a contender over night. And you're having doubts that Thornton is not valuable to his team...

I don't question his importance to the Sharks, or that he isn't valuable, but perhaps Jagr has been more valuable. I too, am conflicted as to who should win, but I am still slightly in the Jagr camp. Although, I might retract my statement regarding who will win the Hart. Thornton has attracted so much attention so close to the voting that he is much more likelier to win.

I would also say that Jagr's teammates have been greatly enhanced by Jagr, instead of considering them as actual top forwards, much in the same way Cheechoo has been aided.

Also, Thornton has had less media attention only because he hasn't shined throughout the year, but only of the last few months. However, he has garnered so much lately he has a great chance of winning the Hart.

Although Kiprusoff, Thornton, and Jagr are the best candidates, I would like to see a defenceman win once in a while...

I really disagree with you about Jagr. Thornton has meant much more to SJ than you could even imagine. SJ was floundering before he came, and then they went hot pretty much as soon as he got there. Thornton and Cheechoo are an amazing tandem.

I would also say that Jagr's teammates have been greatly enhanced by Jagr, instead of considering them as actual top forwards, much in the same way Cheechoo has been aided.

Also, Thornton has had less media attention only because he hasn't shined throughout the year, but only of the last few months. However, he has garnered so much lately he has a great chance of winning the Hart.

Jagr's teamates have benefited from Jagr's presence no doubt, but some of them are good players to begin with.

Nylander when healthy is a career 50-60pt scorer

Straka has had many succesful seasons getting as many as 95pts

Rucinsky has had several 50+ pt seasons

Sykora at 'only' 51 pts is actually having one of his worst seasons (but he did play half a season in Anaheim)

Rucchin at 36pts is having an average season, but no where near as good as his 3-4 50+pt seasons

Then you have a good defensive core of Malik, Rozsival, Poti, Ozolinsh, and Kasparaitus. You have a fairly potent team to begin with. Don't forget Henrik Lundqvist who is a candidate for the Vezina. Add Jagr to the mix and you have the current NY Rangers in a nutshell. With all that talent surrounding Jagr, there is no doubt Jagr is playing among some skilled players. Thornton on the other hand has a limited talent pool surrounding him.

And Thornton only shined the last few months?? Thornton was averaging 1.5pts a game in Boston, with San Jose he's averaging 1.6pts a game. In his first 8 games in SJ, Thornton already had 16pts. Before Thornton came to the Sharks, they had 8W-16L in 24 games. When he joined the Sharks they went on a 5game winning streak and were 14-7-3 in 24 games!! His impact was immediate.

The reason why Thornton doesn't get as much attention is for 2 reasons. 1) because he plays for the San Jose Sharks, and not in New York City 2) His points don't come flashy highlight reel goals, they come from passes and making plays.

Well a bit of a dissapointing end to the regular season for the Avs, they made the playoffs but they should have been higher in the standings. Losing 3 games in a row at the end of the season is no way to prepare for the Stanley Cup.

P.s Congrats to Sidney Crosby for getting his 100th point this season, that makes him the youngest player to get 100 points in a season right?

Ok, I am a big Rangers fan, so I am very biased, but I do know that they pretty much built this team around Jagr, and he brought a lot of good out of a lot of players there. Even though he is not wearing a C, and no one on that team is, he is the leader there and has really stepped up, swinging around the team. I think he is most valuable to his team, but on the other hand, maybe Thornton and Cheechoo combined are more valuable to their team. Thornton and Cheechoo click but it's kinda not fair to Cheechoo to give all of the credit to Thornton. They are a great duo, but I think Jagr is a one man show on some nights and most valuable to the Rangers as one single player who is the core of the team.

Jagr turned down the C. Jagr isn't a leader by any means, he's just a good player. A true captain does more than just score goals and points, he is a leader on and off the ice too.

mikebiacsi: Yup, Crosby's 100pts make him the yongest player to get 100pts in a season.

P.s Congrats to Sidney Crosby for getting his 100th point this season, that makes him the youngest player to get 100 points in a season right?

Yeah, he passes Dale Hawerchuk as the youngest player ever to hit 100 pts. Crosby may not hit the 103 pts that Hawerchuk did, but congrats to Crosby nonetheless.

Jagr turned down the C. Jagr isn't a leader by any means, he's just a good player. A true captain does more than just score goals and points, he is a leader on and off the ice too.

This is true, but you seem to know nothing about what's actually happened in New York this season, because Jagr's been doing just that :yes:

Because Jagr has 50+ goals, Thornton has 90something assists. Jagr hogs up more highlight reels and a lot more attention because he scores more goals.

Well, Jagr is a natural goal scorer. Thornton is more of a playmaker. The goal scorers get the glory, but they're both just as critical to their teams.

This is true, but you seem to know nothing about what's actually happened in New York this season, because Jagr's been doing just that :yes:

I don't know the ins and outs, but I've probably watched a quarter of Rangers games this season and from past experience, Jagr is not captain material. Not to downplay his natural talents, but some people aren't leaders in the locker room. Thats why the C isn't given out to the top scorer, but in most cases it goes to the leader on and off the ice. The one who can reorganize the group out of a slump, motivate the team and pull the team aside and lecture them on what needs to be done. In essence the captain is almost like a 2nd coach.

Jagr is by no means that player to go in the dressing room, motivate his team with a motivating speech, regroup and lead by example. Jagr makes things happen on the ice, he's less of a talker and more of a do'er kind of guy. Not captain material if you ask me.

Now if he did something similar to what Koivu did in Montreal after a long slump, by gathering the players at center ice during a practice, taking blame and pointing blame, motivating them and turning the team around to win 9 of 10, then I appologize, but from what I've seen of Jagr, past and present, he is not captain material.

He's no Steve Yzerman, Joe Sakic, Mike Modano, or Mario... Jagr as far as I know is just an alternate among 3 in NYR. He's not a leader in terms of team support.

Jagr's teamates have benefited from Jagr's presence no doubt, but some of them are good players to begin with.

Nylander when healthy is a career 50-60pt scorer

Straka has had many succesful seasons getting as many as 95pts

Rucinsky has had several 50+ pt seasons

Sykora at 'only' 51 pts is actually having one of his worst seasons (but he did play half a season in Anaheim)

Rucchin at 36pts is having an average season, but no where near as good as his 3-4 50+pt seasons

Then you have a good defensive core of Malik, Rozsival, Poti, Ozolinsh, and Kasparaitus. You have a fairly potent team to begin with. Don't forget Henrik Lundqvist who is a candidate for the Vezina. Add Jagr to the mix and you have the current NY Rangers in a nutshell. With all that talent surrounding Jagr, there is no doubt Jagr is playing among some skilled players. Thornton on the other hand has a limited talent pool surrounding him.

And Thornton only shined the last few months?? Thornton was averaging 1.5pts a game in Boston, with San Jose he's averaging 1.6pts a game. In his first 8 games in SJ, Thornton already had 16pts. Before Thornton came to the Sharks, they had 8W-16L in 24 games. When he joined the Sharks they went on a 5game winning streak and were 14-7-3 in 24 games!! His impact was immediate.

The reason why Thornton doesn't get as much attention is for 2 reasons. 1) because he plays for the San Jose Sharks, and not in New York City 2) His points don't come flashy highlight reel goals, they come from passes and making plays.

You know what? I think you've convinced me! Thornton has become the best player this year, the most valuable to his team. You make excellent points.

As for Crosby, this is incredible. 50-60 points was the best pre-season estimate. He doesn't deserve the Calder (that should go to Phaneuf), but by the time he is 20 he will be the most dominate player in the league. It will be incredible. The only bad thing; the NHL has a terrible schedule, and us westerners will rarely see him. The schedule does encourage one thing: A division of the conferences into seperate leagues, and perhaps even encouraging an MVP from each conference. I hate this new scheduling.

Jagr is by no means that player to go in the dressing room, motivate his team with a motivating speech, regroup and lead by example. Jagr makes things happen on the ice, he's less of a talker and more of a do'er kind of guy. Not captain material if you ask me.

Now if he did something similar to what Koivu did in Montreal after a long slump, by gathering the players at center ice during a practice, taking blame and pointing blame, motivating them and turning the team around to win 9 of 10, then I appologize, but from what I've seen of Jagr, past and present, he is not captain material.

He's no Steve Yzerman, Joe Sakic, Mike Modano, or Mario... Jagr as far as I know is just an alternate among 3 in NYR. He's not a leader in terms of team support.

Yeah I guess you have to read the papers and whatnot in NY to have an idea of how the team works, but yeah, its pretty much what you said except the other way around, which is a big contrast to his career previously. He is by no means the ideal captain because of the language barrier, and in New York if you are the Captain you can expect to deal a lot with the media and other things regardless, which is why he turned it down. Nonetheless he has filled the role quite well there, on the ice obviously, and in the locker room as well.

see, thats my disadvantage. Would anyone in NY know that Koivu called up a Habs team meeting at center ice during practice to motivate the team and start an 8 game win streak? Thats the kind of stuff you don't hear about.

Jagr doesn't need to speak to motivate his team. He can make go and skate circles around the opposition and turn things around that way. Not a traditional captian in that sense. I don't think he's charismatic enough to be the guy players turn to in the locker room though. On the ice, thats a different story.

And i'll be looking foward to watching the Rangers and Sabres in the first round of the playoffs. It should be some good hockey!

see, thats my disadvantage. Would anyone in NY know that Koivu called up a Habs team meeting at center ice during practice to motivate the team and start an 8 game win streak? Thats the kind of stuff you don't hear about.

Jagr doesn't need to speak to motivate his team. He can make go and skate circles around the opposition and turn things around that way. Not a traditional captian in that sense. I don't think he's charismatic enough to be the guy players turn to in the locker room though. On the ice, thats a different story.

And i'll be looking foward to watching the Rangers and Sabres in the first round of the playoffs. It should be some good hockey!

Yeah, my whole point is he is doing the speaking in the locker room and whatnot, but yes I'm done with this one as we each have our own opinions and info. I don't know who's gonna win the MVP but I don't really care if it's not Jagr, all I wanted was a playoff spot, and I look forward to seeing the first round too. I don't expect to see New York past the first round, but I've been waiting since 97 just to see them there, so it's alllll good, I can't complain at all about this season :yes:

Finally the playoffs are set.

East:

8. Tampa Bay vs 1. Ottawa

7. Montreal vs 2. Carolina

6. New York vs 3. New Jersey

5. Philadephia vs 4. Buffalo - Should be the best series in the first round

West:

8. Edmonton vs 1. Detroit

7. Colorado vs 2. Dallas

6. Anahiem vs 3. Calgary

5. San Jose vs 4. Nashville

Lets post our predictions:

East:

5. Philadephia vs 4. Buffalo

West:

7. Colorado vs 2. Dallas

6. Anahiem vs 3. Calgary

I'm rooting for Montreal of course. In the West I'd like to go for the underdogs. I want Anaheim and San Jose to go far.

Lets post our predictions:

East:

5. Philadephia vs 4. Buffalo

West:

7. Colorado vs 2. Dallas

6. Anahiem vs 3. Calgary

I'm rooting for Montreal of course. In the West I'd like to go for the underdogs. I want Anaheim and San Jose to go far.

I hope your wrong in your prediction for the Colorado-Dallas series. I think San Jose will go far, if the Avs don't win then im rooting for the sharks.

For the last couple of years, a new thread was created so we can predict which team that will win and how many games they played in the series.