Official NHL 2005-2006 Season Thread

You guys, seriously... Bertuzzi makes $5.5m, there's a salaray cap. Havlat is comming back, they don't need Bertuzzi as bad as you think. Not enough to warrant a trade for Chara or Redden. They're arguably the best defensemen in the league, and you're going to trade either one for a slug lik Bertuzzi? Ottawa is going to make a legitimate run to the Stanley Cup finals, and breaking up their defensive core for marginal production with little playoff experience is not a logical trade for Ottawa. Remember with the salary cap, you're also trading salary and money as well as players.

Anyways. Oilers give up a first rounder for Dwayne Roloson

Montreal trades Jose The-Open-Door for David Aebischer (purely a salary dump, people here are expecting another aquisition/trade in the near future with the freed $3.4m salary)

Czerkawski signs with Boston

Mark Parrish and Brent Sopel to LA for Tambelini and Grebeshkov(projected to be a great NHL'er) to NYI

Well i certanly didn't see the avs-habs trade coming, i thought we were ok with Aebischer. If Theodore keeps playing the way he has we can kiss goodbye to a decent playoff run. :no:

Leafs aquire (D) Luke Richardson for a conditional pick.

Leafs aquire AHL River Rats leading scorer (RW) for (D) Ken Klee.

Okay, Luke is 37 and set to be an unrestricted free agent. I hope he was signed so that we can limp through the rest of the season (especially with the Klee deal in the works) without alienating the fans. Presumbly the conditional cost after a few months will be next to nothing.

Ken Klee was also set to be an unrestricted free agent and since he isn't particularly young, I don't think the Leafs were that interested in signing him. It may not be very exciting, but we got something (a prospect that's fairly far along) for nothing here (except a few months of service from Ken Klee).

Small moves and a minor step back for this year but hopefully a small step forward for next year. I hope we see more Leaf moves like this as I have given up on this season.

Umm...

Couldn't Edmonton rented a better goalie than Dwayne Roloson with a first round pick? If Edmonton signs Roloson then they need to add an additional third round pick. That all sounds pretty steep for a career backup who's best season was 19-18.

Shouldn't they have waited until 2:30 to see what happens?

I think Vancouver made the best deals of the day:

Vancouver Canucks acquire defenceman Eric Weinrich from St. Louis Blues for defenceman Tomas Mojzis and third-round pick in 2006; acquire defenceman Sean Brown from New Jersey Devils for fourth-round draft pick in 2006; acquire goaltender Mika Noronen from Buffalo Sabres for second-round pick in 2006; acquire defenceman Keith Carney and the rights to defenceman Juha Alon from Anaheim Mighty Ducks for defenceman Brett Skinner and second-round draft pick in 2006; and trade defenceman Steve McCarthy to Atlanta for conditional draft pick in 2007.

This addresses thier needs on defense and gives them a compitent backup for Auld. All without giving up anyone from the roster than McCarthy (who asked to be traded). Good job by Nonis!! Especially for a rookie GM. They are all singing his praises on the Canuck forums :)

Those are some pretty old defencemen Vancouver picked up. Players much better suited to the old NHL than the new NHL.

The Leafs sat on their hands today thinking they could still perform a miracle and get to the 8th playoff spot. Ah....

Those are some pretty old defencemen Vancouver picked up. Players much better suited to the old NHL than the new NHL.

The Leafs sat on their hands today thinking they could still perform a miracle and get to the 8th playoff spot. Ah....

Veteran, stay at home defensemen was exactly what Vancouver needed. They already have quick, offensive d-men in Jovo and Bieksa. Salo and Ohlund can contribute offensively as well. The problem was that they didn't have much experience back there other than Salo, Ohlund and Jovo. The rest of thier D was pretty much call-ups from Manitoba. Adding these vets will be huge for them in thier own zone was well as leadership in the locker room. Auld was being left out to dry most nights, facing 30+ shots a night. It hurts to lose Mojis as he was playing quite well for them and has a lot of potential, but they really needed some veterans back there. Nonis made brilliant moves IMO.

Tough loss on the 'Nucks tonight. 6 secs into OT!?

Roloson stinks it up in Edmonton for his first game

This was the first trade deadline with a salary cap and it was evident. Teams asking too much for players, others offering too little. Some decent moves, but nothing spectacular considering Theodore was the biggest name to chaange teams....

Btw. Im so glad we got rid of that puke. Theodore was a virus for the Habs. Huet has been playing amazing. He registered his 4th shutout in 20 some games!! and at $400,000 less than 1/10 of what Theo was making!! Now Gainey has some flexibility in the cap to aquire some offensive strength to secure some goal scoring for this team.

he had 1 half assed game in Philly and a bad game the next day in Toronto. I think it was just a question of 'tiredness'. He bounced back vs the Bruins though, and before that he was on fire. It's just a compact schedule the Habs have, they played their 3rd game in 4 nights without Danis getting the start for any of those games. He seems cool and collective and on his head for the most part making the toughest saves look routine. He's a lot better than Theo all this season and seasons passed. Gainey said that Aebischer and Huet will most probably share goaltending responsibilites

Tough loss on the 'Nucks tonight. 6 secs into OT!?

Yeah, that sucked!! They played pretty well most of the game too, but then totally stunk it up in the 3rd. None of the new players played for them though, and with no Mcarthy and Mojis, they pretty much had the Mooses defense and Ohlund. Can't wait for the next game to see how the new players are.

Yeah, that sucked!! They played pretty well most of the game too, but then totally stunk it up in the 3rd. None of the new players played for them though, and with no Mcarthy and Mojis, they pretty much had the Mooses defense and Ohlund. Can't wait for the next game to see how the new players are.

It was a great game, and a great ending. I love Nashville's chances for the Cup.

Nashville is such a fast team, its like watching a hockey game in fast forward. I got the Center Ice package for satelite so i get every game, and I love tuning into nashville games.

Attendance at Chicago is generally low, it has been for years, but they wont go anywhere.

Nashville averages about 14,500 fans a game or 85% capacity, of course Montreal averages 21,273 a game :) Highest in the NHL. <- at least we can brag about something this year!

FYI, NHL average attendance is more than the NBA, the only difference is that the NBA has income from TV contracts.

The Canucks are struggling :(

If GM Place held 21,000 we'd have the highest average attendance ;) We've had like over 150 straight sellouts there or something but our rink only holds like 18,500 or so.