How do you pronounce "BETA"?

No offense...but that makes absolutely no sense, when you consider that "alpha" and "beta" in the software world is derived from the Greek letters. Alpha comes first, then Beta...yadda yadda...

I know it may sound awkward, but I tend to switch my pronounciation for different languages. For example, I tend to "flatten" my Chinese pinyin when speaking to an English-speaker, and I pronounce Spanish words with a Castilian accent.

Plus, you have to put the words into context. The "beta" in "beta software" isn't the same as the "beta" in "alpha, beta"

I know it may sound awkward, but I tend to switch my pronounciation for different languages. For example, I tend to "flatten" my Chinese pinyin when speaking to an English-speaker, and I pronounce Spanish words with a Castilian accent.

Plus, you have to put the words into context. The "beta" in "beta software" isn't the same as the "beta" in "alpha, beta"

586634582[/snapback]

Well...yeah it...screw it. Nevermind, I'm sick of argueing.

I know what you mean about picking up accents and inflections. I do the same thing, often without realizing I'm doing it. A few years ago I was at a mall and I went up to a little booth to ask the salesperson something, and the woman was british, very thick cockney accept. Talked to her for a little bit, then went on my way. As soon as I'd gotten out of earshot, my ex whom had overheard the whole conversation busts out laughing and asks why I was making fun of that woman. I had *no* idea what she was talking about, and she said I was talking with a very thick pronounced English accent. I had no idea I'd done it and felt like an ass. But usually its not that bad.

American English and British English = Two different languages(though incredibly similar)

It's true if you think about it. So, 'proper english' really depends on where you are.

See a list of differences here: http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb/american.html

As for what I say, i've always said baytah.

586634678[/snapback]

Well said. The thread is asking how you pronounce it, not how it's supposed to be unanimously pronounced.

In england we speek properly and do not drop words from our spelling.

586631540[/snapback]

Oh you do, do you? how about that spelling of 'speak'?

I say beta like the army, SWAT, all special forces and many others. you know all that alpha and beta stuff.

586631676[/snapback]

That would be the ICAO phoenetic alphabet.

I say "Bay-tah" because I also say "Day-ta" and Sony's format was "Bay-ta Max" and movies say "Bay-tah" etc. That's not to say "Bee-tah" is wrong though, so all my British bros are good to go! (In fact, you know you're right, right?  :p )

586631705[/snapback]

Oh it isnt wrong is it, ok, well you go argue the pronunciation of Greek letters with the Greeks and see how that works out.

First time I've heard anything other than baytuh

In Japanese, "Beta" would sound like behtuh, so I'm sticking with it.  Dunno where everyone got beetah from :wacko:

586634456[/snapback]

ummm, 'tuh' in Japanese? really.... 'ta' in japanese would be phoenetically 'tah'. The T vowels in japanese are:

た = ta(tah),

ち = chi (dont ask why, it just is),

つ = tsu(not tsoo though, hard to explain),

て = te(tey)

と = to (toe)

'Beta' in Japanese, would be written ベタ. Since it isn't a Japanese word in the first place.

What is all this bunk about 'adding letters'? Its not a spelling convention, its the...umm...shall we say 'innability' to pronounce a set of sounds in their intended manner due to ones natural accent.

And that post about North American English and UK english being different languages. ...what....ever...

They are the exact same language, from the same root, with the same grammar, who have their own localized peculiarities. Done-and-Done.

I would also argue that 'proper english' really doesnt exist, as has been said many times before in this thread. What is 'proper' is decided by the MLAs, and changes over time. If you took our english back 200 years, it would be horrid grammatically. If you took it forward 200 years, it would be archaic, perhaps unintelligible to most people.

Anyone who has ever looked at Shakespearean works(I hate using that as an example, because there is a lot of elevated allusional crap in those works), or English older than that, will know what I am talking about.

Omg, talk about deja vu. I had an argument about this with my friend a few years ago.

I pronounced it bay-tuh but he pronounces it bet-uh.

I believe I'm right though. :D

Omg, talk about deja vu. I had an argument about this with my friend a few years ago.

I pronounced it bay-tuh but he pronounces it bet-uh.

I believe I'm right though.  :D

586634876[/snapback]

You are. :)

I pronounce it as bay-tuh

I personally prefer "behta" as opposed to "bayta," which is what most of my fellow Americans say. However, when pronouncing the Greek letter beta, I say "bayta"

That made no sense and I think your fellow Americans would agree

That's what happens when you say things like that. It bites you right in your ass. SPEAK not SPEEK

That's what happens when you say things like that. It bites you right in your ass. SPEAK not SPEEK

:rofl: :p :D :woot:

Comedy GOLD :rolleyes: :whistle:

I pronounce it as bay-tuh

That made no sense and I think your fellow Americans would agree

586634915[/snapback]

Not to mention if non-English (referring to Americans?) dropped WORDS from their spelling, then we're really bad spellers :laugh: