Film SLRs

Thanks for the section Neowin (boog)

My dad recently introduced me to an old Petri manual SLR, and something about film really got me hooked. So im using it one more time this month for some action photography.

Wondering whos shooting film here? I want a Canon Rebel T2

I use to shoot film, but that was only because it was required for my photo class. I had a Rebel GII. If I had a choice and the money, I'd shoot with a DSLR.

I don't think any is better than the other, its just that I have no use for film cameras, because with film, I end up scanning it anyways. It's a matter of preference really, some people prefer the old fashion way, and use film + darkroom w/ manual editing techniques whilst some prefre the new way with memory cards and computers. :)

I don't shoot film, but dSLR technics apply because they administer the same terms as your average SLR; This was to ease the transition for those who decided to move from SLR to dSLR.

I see you're shooting action photography. I'm not sure whether you know this or not, but the speed of your film (ISO) and the speed at which you take it at (Exposure) determines the effect you'll get when shooting. For example if you shot with ISO 400 Film, and an exposure of about 1/125 - You'll get motion blur, depending on whats moving, how fast it's moving, etc.

Panning the camera with the moving object whilst shooting will have the object unblurred, but the background blurred - To give the essence of speed/movement.

The higher the ISO, the faster the film is, couple this with the Exposure (the higher the exposure, the less light that enters the Film - therefore a much more 'freeze frame shot') You can produce some nice effects.

A soft light filter (as I saw in another thread) could add an extremely nice effect. I'd love to test it, and as soon as I get my hands on a soft light filter, I will. If I remember, I'll post a few pictures on here for you.

I know that already :p

I was shooting with 800speed film, 1000th, 500th, 250th and maybe a few 125ths. I was pretty far from the race track and only using a 200mm so motion blur wasn't much a problem. point where i want the picture, focus and wait...

586637181[/snapback]

You got any scans to show us? I'm intrigued to see your results

Oh, and what I said wasn't a complete waste of time, I'm sure others will read and learn too :p

I know that already :p

I was shooting with 800speed film, 1000th, 500th, 250th and maybe a few 125ths. I was pretty far from the race track and only using a 200mm so motion blur wasn't much a problem. point where i want the picture, focus and wait...

Ill scan some today. They arn't the best, first time with an all manual camera. And I got the smallest print i could (3 by 5?) because I wasn't sure of my results. I might take a few negatives back to get them enlarged.

If it was B&W I could get my dad to help me but eh they're color

I still shoot film. I prefer everything about it over digital aside from the cost of developing.

I have a negative scanner I use to import the negatives to computer too.

I use a lot of different cameras but the one I own myself (find it perfect for my needs) is a Nikon F80 (N80 in the states)

I have a Pentax zx-50. I haven't used it for a long time. I should start again. I used to love taking black & white photos with it. I used to develop the film and do the enlargements myself.

Gosh, I love shooting film. My shots seem to come out so much better than with my digital camera. I am (currently) using an ancient (+/- 20 years) old Olympus OM-2S SLR.

I have a few lenses for it, and cannot really afford to upgrade right now, but I do plan to soon.

I also shoot only B&W with it, I think overall, that B&W film/pictures has more "feeling" somehow...

Gosh, I love shooting film. My shots seem to come out so much better than with my digital camera. I am (currently) using an ancient (+/- 20 years) old Olympus OM-2S SLR.

I have a few lenses for it, and cannot really afford to upgrade right now, but I do plan to soon.

I also shoot only B&W with it, I think overall, that B&W film/pictures has more "feeling" somehow...

586649262[/snapback]

ya, that's probably what it is, just an unspeakable feeling of depth to it. I know some of my film pictures especially I've been able to make extremely vibrant and "pop" out of the picture, but I've never really had that feeling with a digital shot, heck, not even really after scanning the pic into the computer can I really get that look

I use my Film Mainly Just bought a Develping tank.

There's a certain time to shoot and b&w and a certain time to shoot in colour. Knowing when and how is the difference between a good/not good photographer.

586650602[/snapback]

Agreed, Still remember the first time I bought B&W film it kinda changed the way I shot for a day.

I think if somthing is 2 examples of what you are saying ar if you are somwhere that is particully colourful then it needs to be colour if its Raining and I in an old area of town then its B&W.

Edited by antsy

Ok I like canon, I don't know why but I have a feeling whatever I want to someday get its gonna be a Canon.

I was thinking getting the Canon K2, getting a little collection of lenses, and then when I get a little older get a Digital Rebal XT or whatever its equivelent is when I decide to buy.

Ahh so many thing I want.

• 3 weeks later...

^^ word me too.

BTW I used this camera again a few weekends ago an I am really getting the hang of it. I got somevery good shots using some 800 speed film.