The Internet 10 years ago

I remember a couple of years ago (When I got my first PC with Windows 95) no one used MSN, it was all IRC; I miss those days...

586679056[/snapback]

Thats more than a couple of years, 8 or more perhaps.

my dad was born in 1895

he rode around in a horse & carriage

the progress we have made is unbelievable.

just think about how much has changed in 100 yrs.

586678613[/snapback]

Your dad is 110 years old? How old are you?

in 10 years time the internet will be pretty much the same as it is now just with alot more ways for corperations to make more money but if they ever try a V-net like another world i hope i get to meet her..........

To the people saying that this must be more than 10 years old:

Most of the screens in the video were showing someone logging into Usenet forums (that seems to be what most of the video was about, really), and 10 years ago, most Usenet clients were not graphical, but text based. It's entirely possible that he was running one in Windows 3.11 but running it full screen. Windows 95 would have just come out then, so many people wouldn't have had it yet. Before Windows 95 came out, most DOS based programs ran full screen when run inside of Windows.

Net in late 80s and early 90s was so much better, less clueless and ignorant people online, no viruses, practically no spam..

Those were the days. Now it's pretty much gone to the sh!tter.

I've been using some form of the internet since 1993, I guess, when my dad got Mosaic (which became Netscape, I think). I think we had Compuserve or something after that, back when it was powered by Gopher. Anyone remember that? I used to look up Duke Nukem codes on that.. haha.. Gopher sucked.

I started playing online games when Warcraft II came out... played a lot of Duke Nukem 3D online as well. Oh and Blood 2. That game rocked.

I remember what Yahoo looked like in 1994. Pretty much the same as it does now except it was almost entirely text-based.

Very few adverts on the web back then as well...

Ah, those were the days.

Net in late 80s and early 90s was so much better, less clueless and ignorant people online, no viruses, practically no spam..

Those were the days. Now it's pretty much gone to the sh!tter.

586681360[/snapback]

Pretty much everything is better before it gets popular, then people ruin it. Like the people that "pwn" forums and the advertisements that come up because there are oh so many eyes watching the screen

I've been using some form of the internet since 1993, I guess, when my dad got Mosaic (which became Netscape, I think).

586681334[/snapback]

Spry Mosaic was what Microsoft bought once it finally dawned on them they needed a browser. Look at the 'about' in IE, it's still listed. I spent my first three years online with CI$ as well...very costly back then paying $3.00 per hour.

Spry Mosaic was what Microsoft bought once it finally dawned on them they needed a browser.  Look at the 'about' in IE, it's still listed.  I spent my first three years online with CI$ as well...very costly back then paying $3.00 per hour.

586681359[/snapback]

Haha, interesting.

BTW here's what Yahoo looked like 9 years ago:

http://web.archive.org/web/19961020022754/...www9.yahoo.com/

Both Netscape and Internet Explorer were based on Mosaic, if I'm not mistaken.

And, I've had internet since 1996, and I don't think this video is very accurate.

I think there was already netscape 3.x by that time, or 2.x at least. (in 1996). This video just makes "internet" look some text-based-only thing. And I don't think so.

I noticed the windows xp computer too, I say its fake \o

(3:30 into the clip)

586678666[/snapback]

Its not fake, those are reporters from the CBC, a Canadian TV station. They are still on the air today, its not fake lol.

Also if you look closely its black not green on bottom half, with white text, that combined with the heavy compression makes it look green kind of.

To the people saying that this must be more than 10 years old:

Most of the screens in the video were showing someone logging into Usenet forums (that seems to be what most of the video was about, really), and 10 years ago, most Usenet clients were not graphical, but text based.  It's entirely possible that he was running one in Windows 3.11 but running it full screen.  Windows 95 would have just come out then, so many people wouldn't have had it yet.  Before Windows 95 came out, most DOS based programs ran full screen when run inside of Windows.

586681344[/snapback]

Bingo! Also I believe I saw this video at least a year ago before online so its prolly supposed to be 10 years ago from 2004, so Win 95 wasnt out at all yet, only Win 3.1

Its not fake, those are reporters from the CBC, a Canadian TV station.  They are still on the air today, its not fake lol.

Also if you look closely its black not green on bottom half, with white text, that combined with the heavy compression makes it look green kind of.

586681778[/snapback]

yep look closely at it, its just a bad monitor. theres text on the whole screen. i thought it was xp at first too :p

Let's see, ten years ago, that would have been about the time Razor 1911 was transitioning from floppy releases to CD releases and the "rip scene" was beginning to transpire. That was also around the time that BBS's were dying off and groups were moving totally to the internet. I can remember those days like it was yesterday. And to think, I haven't used dialup in at least ten years. Heh, I just realized I still have the last two USR Courier v.everything modems that I used back in the last of the BBS / beginning of the internet days.

I remeber using BBS's back in the day. Oh the joy of 300bps modems. Then in the early 90's I went to college and found out about the internet. Wow! The school had a connection which was an amazing super fast 56kbps! And we could connect to their mainframe using 1200bps modems. And if I remeber correctly the internet didn't start to resemble what we have now until after windows 95 came out. There wasn't any useful internet providers then. Much has changed since then. I like how they were showing usenet groups in the report. Not too many people I know even know about that highly valuable part of the internet which has been around longer than kazaa and others.