WMP 11 not playing WMV?

I've just installed Windows Vista October CTP (Build 5231) and I've noticed that while WMP 11 is able to play Mpeg Videos and wma music files, it comes up saying it doesn't have a codec for WMV, i've tried downloading the WM9 codecs from microsoft, but it keeps saying it doesn't have the codec.

does anyone know of a workaround for this, or a different media player that works in this build of windows and plays wmv?

I've just installed Windows Vista October CTP (Build 5231) and I've noticed that while WMP 11 is able to play Mpeg Videos and wma music files, it comes up saying it doesn't have a codec for WMV, i've tried downloading the WM9 codecs from microsoft, but it keeps saying it doesn't have the codec.

does anyone know of a workaround for this, or a different media player that works in this build of windows and plays wmv?

586681593[/snapback]

Hmm dunno mate. Maybe its one of those things you cant fix for the moment!

Excuse me for soundng like a noob as i'm not a programmer, but why is the build number on the leaked 5321 same as the october ctp, if changes and fixes have been made?

doesn't the build symbolise the times its been complied? so therefore if the october ctp has been updated shouldn't the build number increment?

There are a number of different builds that all have the same number. The difference between them is that they come from different labs on the Microsoft campus. By creating different builds with different code paths, Microsoft is able to reveal many more bugs in the same amount of time as they would with a single build.

That, and probably the fact that the CTP build is getting more attention than other builds...