Free Web Hosting

Can someone recoommend me a free host which allows me to create a webpage/blog along with a forum. I do need help on making it too so if the host people can help then that would be better!

It's been mentioned in here before (easily) but they recently (like a couple of months ago) came back on

x10Hosting - see plan details here

I have an account with x10, had it for around 6 months now. When it works it's fine, but too much downtime for my liking, which made me go and pay for some proper hosting elsewhere. I wouldn't really recommend them if you have a site you'd like to be available all (well 99% of) the time, their servers are up and down constantly. This also affects ftp, which, at times is impossible to use (disc full warnings, and dropouts mid upload mainly).

They also seem to have a screwy cpu resource monitor which will suspend your account at the drop of a hat (it seems to me anyway, I could never find any activity which correlated with suspensions) and getting it unsuspended again can take a ridiculous amount of time - had to wait two days once for a ban which should have been lifted after 15 minutes, and could get no information related to why it was suspended in the first place.

On the plus side, the php setup is pretty good as long as you request an upgrade (basic php is pointless and most scripts won't work), proper cpanel support, and active forums, although the moderators, on the whole are a bunch of egotistical so and so's, the other users can be pretty helpful (nothing like the advice you'll get right here though ;) )

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have used http://www.000webhost.com/ to host my main site for a couple of years now with no real problems at all (only the ones i created) but i recently closed down the website so i can host it at home on my spare pc /server!

The only issue i have with 000webhost is there support for free hosting sucks but apart from that they are great.

They really do offer quite alot for a free host so i'll just leave a direct link for you to check out, I hope that's ok.

#1 http://www.000webhost.com/

#2 http://www.000webhost.com/features

I still have my old clan forums hosted with them and i have not had any major problems for well over 2 years and i don't ever see any problems just so long as i keep regular backups ;) as i am prone to breaking the forums burin upgrades (but that's another story)...

You can host your own domain with them (as long as you own one)

Currently my forum address for now is aegamers.net46.net and they also do .comze.com and as far as i am aware they do many more similar ones starting with (yourname.xxx.xxx

I used to have t1cybernetic.co.uk and aegamers.co.uk hosted there but those are just redirects at the moment until i setup my server again.

Byethost are one of the best out there. Totally free, no adverts, no spam from them, loads of space, PHP and lots more.

Hmm that does look good.

Byethost are one of the best out there. Totally free, no adverts, no spam from them, loads of space, PHP and lots more.
Hmm that does look good.

Yeah you are right that really does look good ;)

I have just registered myself with them after checking them out and it seems like they have the one thing my current host does not which is (Good customer support) anyway i have registered with them just to test the waters and so i could check their forums out etc.

So far so good on the feature lis and they seem to have a good amount of people on their forums who are happy about the hosting service and the customer support, I have nothing to loose by trying them out i suppose (Here goes nothing)...

Yeah you are right that really does look good ;)

I have just registered myself with them after checking them out and it seems like they have the one thing my current host does not which is (Good customer support) anyway i have registered with them just to test the waters and so i could check their forums out etc.

So far so good on the feature lis and they seem to have a good amount of people on their forums who are happy about the hosting service and the customer support, I have nothing to loose by trying them out i suppose (Here goes nothing)...

When I lost my password I got an email thats looked like it had been written by a human! Thats shows how good it is.

Is it possible to use a custom domain (registered previously with some other domain provider) at Byethost?

Yes you can use the addon domain feature and park domain in vistapanel/control panel and then update the name servers with your registrar to point to byethost...

Is it possible to use a custom domain (registered previously with some other domain provider) at Byethost?

And while im in a helpful, non trolling mood, i use byethost with a co.cc free domain, so it works as mentioned above.

Just thought id post some (hopefully useful) extra info, no reason for you to have to search and suffer when ive done it, and after i heard about byethost here, thought id post some additional info that others might find handy

If you want to avoid the (sometimes) 6 hour email lag through byethost's mail servers for free users, you can setup google apps email to get around this, byethost even has a video tutorial on how to do it

Google apps email tutorial

And while im here, if you plan on using Joomla in particular, you can find some custom .php files to allow it to connect to your new google apps email account, handy if you actually want users to register on your joomla site without a 6 hour registration/activation email lag:)

Joomla->Google apps email php hack

Hope someone (you at least) finds this info useful...

Edited by stylemessiah

• 4 weeks later...