is it fair for the NBA to have a Dress code  

91 members have voted

1. 1. is it fair for the NBA to have a Dress code

• Yes
    • No
    • maybe

at one time wearing a suit was thugish.

586703056[/snapback]

Please point me to the time in history when wearing a suit was ever considered "thuggish"

And before you try to refer back to the 1920-1940's "mafia look" of everyone wearing suits, that was not "thuggish" it infact was the direct opposite since it was the mafia trying to emulate true businessmen

So when did this magical period of history occur in which STANDARD BUSINESS ATTIRE was referred to or considered "thuggish"

As for the topic at hand...the NBA like all major sports is full of overpayed whiners. Guess what, most major sports have a dress code. College sports have dress codes, high school sports at most schools have dress codes.

If they don't like the rules they can feel free to quit and see exactly what type of job they are qualified for that will EVER pay them what they currently make

100% whining babies

On a side note in discussing dress codes, I live in a college town where one of the largest bars in town that most of the kids goto since it has 18 and up nights and is located only a couple yards off campus. Instituted a dress code last year for all patrons. Some of the dress code rules are that there are to be no large silver/gold chains hangings outside of clothing, any clothing deemed to be too baggy by the bouncers at time of entry will be disallowed, and no patron is allowed to wear workboots such as brown timberlands, or any boot with a steeltoe.

Any guesses on what happened? The african american population of the campus was in an uproar saying the bar was racist and the dress code was to specifically prevent them from entering....then the owner of the bar/creator of the dress code did a QA session with the univeristy and students to quell the situation and OMG would you look at that...he himself was an african american! Noone had bothered to research that fact before jumping to conclusions of racism.

He told the students if they felt he was being racist that was their problem and that if they wanted to continue to patronize his bar they would "cease to look like slobs", or they could feel free to patronize the next closest bar which was almost a mile further away....which meant no easy walk back to campus

Needless to say the bar is still open and still doing extremely well with it's new well dressed clientele

Edited by Qumahlin

I think that he could have been refering to the zoot suit error in the 40's were young mexican americans were labled and thugs and gangsters because they wanted to wear flashy clothing to stand out from the norm and be rebelious against the govenments limit on cotton and material. :blush: (shoot me if im wrong its bee a while sinc college)

But any way i think i know a way around the whole thing. If you dont want to wear a suit come to the game dressed in your warm-ups . That shouldnt be a problem right? Its what you end up dressed in after the you go into the locker room any way.

(just a thought.)

what cterry511 said,

im just saying its only thugish because thugs wears it and in 50 years wear baggy clothing wont be cool or thugish and my be think of nice clothing or just something ugly in history like many old styles. get me sweets any day over baggy pants.

and futb0l

makes a good point players will still beat they wife, still drink, still shot people and so on :yes:

did you guys hear marcus camby say that if there is going to be a dress code, that there will need to be a clothes stipend so he can afford to buy dress clothes?  what an idiot....

the average salary in the nba is 5 mil per year.

586691748[/snapback]

Marcus Camby is an Idiot, He makes alot of money In fact that skinny mofo is always in Unique Wips getting this car done with rims etc.. more than ounce and he cant spend a few dollars on proper clothes wtf? :pinch:

Simply put?  Because they are.

586754731[/snapback]

thugs oooooook? wtf how are they thugs? They gone to college, they got money, Some of them donate or have their own foundation. So I got no idea what your talking about mr softballs :wacko:

There is a dress code where I work and there are dress codes in schools too. Why shouldn't these guys have one and what's the big deal? Because there are a lot of black people must mean they are racist.

Simply put?  Because they are.

586754731[/snapback]

So Tim Duncan is a thug, now.

It's sad that the action of few reflect so badly on the rest of the league. Most of the NBA hasn't had a run in with the law. I just love stereotyping.

The problem with the dress code is that it goes overboard. The NBA already has a dress code called uniforms. Why is that people have such a problem with what the players wear to and from the game?

I've had to wear a shirt and tie to hockey games since I was like 10. It promotes unity for a team as well as professionalism and you can make yourself look damn f'n good for all them puck bunnies waiting outside the locker room ;) (well, maybe a few years past 10 but...)

I don't see the harm in this at all.

Hockey players have done this for years, baseball, look at golf...etc.

Big deal. It's not like they don't have the cash to buy a freaking suit. Look at Shaq for example. He's a classy dresser with some serious respect but talent to back it up on the court. Too bad all players in the NBA can't be like him.

All mods have the same opinion they all lick each others back, so why argue with them haha

and no they are not thugs

586756775[/snapback]

I don't believe I'm licking anyone's back, thanks.

Black Players In Particular Should Heed Stern Warning

Jason Whitlock, Kansas City Star, Nov. 22, 2004

NBA commissioner David Stern sent a message to his players Sunday.

By issuing three of the harshest penalties in league history?a 73-game suspension of Ron Artest, 30 games for Stephen Jackson and 25 games for Jermaine O?Neal?Stern let his players know that the league will aggressively try to clean up its image problem.

For their role in Friday?s ugly brawl at Detroit, the Pacers, favorites to represent the East in the NBA finals, received the death penalty. Indiana?s season is over. O?Neal, Artest, both All-Stars, and Jackson are Indiana?s three best players.

Stern had no choice. TV ratings for the league have been steadily falling since Michael Jordan?s heyday. The league?s image has been in decline since Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Jordan ruled.

Allen Iverson, Latrell Sprewell, Kobe Bryant, Dream Team failures, an embrace of all the negative aspects of the hip-hop culture and a horrid style of play have conspired to make the NBA easy to ignore. By decimating the Pacers and publicly acknowledging that there has been a lowering of expectations in terms of player (and fan) behavior, Stern made it clear he?s not in denial about the NBA?s troubles.

I am, however, concerned that the league?s players will remain in denial. Surrounded by groupies and yes-men, fortified by multimillion-dollar contracts and endorsement deals, it will be easy for NBA players to misinterpret Stern?s warning.

In this column, I am calling on my peers in the media to level with NBA players (and all professional athletes) and tell them what?s really going on.

American sports fans, particularly those who consistently shell out the hundreds of dollars it takes to attend a professional game, are fed up with black professional basketball players in particular and black professional athletes to a lesser degree.

Yeah, let?s cut through all the garbage and get to the real issue. The people paying the bills don?t like the product, don?t like the attitude, don?t like the showboating and don?t like the flamboyance. The NBA, which relies heavily on African-American players, is at the forefront of fan backlash. Stern realizes this, and that?s why, spurred on by the Detroit brawl, he is reacting decisively.

What the players must come to grips with is that just because race is an element in the backlash, that doesn?t mean the backlash is fueled by racism.

We?re witnessing a clash of cultures. A predominately white fan base is rejecting a predominately black style of play and sportsmanship.

Who is on the right side of this argument? The group that is always right in a capitalistic society. The customer. That?s why Stern, endorsed by his owners, came down hard on the players. He stated that the NBA would take steps to ensure that its fans improved their behavior. But Stern knows the real solutions are in the hands of his players. A good businessman caters to his audience. They don?t play country music at my dad?s inner-city bar for a reason.

Stern?s players must bow to the desires of their fan base.

In general, African-American athletes have always been?for lack of a better description?more expressive and flamboyant on the field of play. Go back to the Negro Leagues?showboating was part of the entertainment package. The Negro Leagues catered to a predominately black fan base.

We, black people, begged for integration. We demanded the right to play in the major leagues, the NBA, the NFL, the NHL. These leagues accommodate a white audience. As long as the customer base is white, the standard for appropriate sportsmanship, style of play and appearance should be set by white people.

This is fair, particularly when the athletes/employees earn millions of dollars and have the freedom to do whatever?and I mean whatever?they want when they?re not playing or practicing.

If African-American players are unwilling to accept this reality, NBA owners will speed up the internationalization of their team?s rosters. Many African-American players with NBA-quality skill will soon find themselves circling the country playing basketball with Hot Sauce and the And 1 Tour while Yao Nowitzki collects a $10 million NBA check.

The black players will have no one to blame but themselves.

I think this pretty much nails it. Of course, it's a go:hmmm:ng a black man wrote this, otherwise he'd be RACIST :hmmm: