Shampoo dilema

So, my mom thinks that you are supposed to switch your shampoo company every once in a while, because using the same shampoo builds up a residue over time, and a different brand will clean out the previous brand.

I, think this is some old wives tale, but, it -almost- makes a little sense. Does anyone know? Is there any proof of said shampoo dilema? What do you guys think?

Ermm... This seems like an old wives tale if you ask me... How could it possibly be true... a residue to what? surely thats what said shampoo is for... to wash away any unwanted debris/residue!

I guess the theory is that after every application of shampoo, there is a trace amount of leftover shampoo. After months of using the same brand, the trace amounts of "Brand-X" build up, and it is time to switch. "Brand-Z" will clean out the build up of Brand-X, because it is a different soap formula.

haha, like I said, I think it is an old wives tale too. I just thought I see if maybe I was wrong...

Yeah, sounds stupid. I've been using the same shampoo for years with no build-up. Besides, hair grows and any residue left would be gone after your next haircut. :D

lol, I am sure your mom is a loveley warm person - but she sure ain't no scientists. Women in general have lot's of strange ideas about personal care products. It's not an area i have ever been able to fathom in any great detail in all the years I have been around. All of these cosmetic ads about "liposomes" " and "VitalLift BH5" may sound vaguely scientific, but mainly they are just meaningless marketing drivel. However, I challenge you to tell any woman that and you are likely to be in for a very rough ride.

GJ

i dunno this allmost holds water i had a small problem with dandruff once and when i used H&S for a wile i stoped but then still useing H&S it came back so mswitched to Tee-gel and the same thing happend so switched back to H&S and now i cycle from H&S and tee-gel

Mmm... maybe it's just that your body goes though diffrent periods when your scalp is particularly dry and flakey? Try just regularly using a standard good anti-dnadruff shampoo and it won't ever come back.

In any case, what has this got to do with the science section? Shouldn't it be in general off topic or something?

GJ

Hope this helps :unsure:

Shampoo Ingredients - What Really Works?

Your Guide, Donna L Montaldo From Donna L Montaldo,

Just the facts, folks!

Would you buy a shampoo based on the amount of guar hydroxypro-

pyltrimonium chloride that it contained? Probably not! How about if it advertised that it was enriched with wonderful botanical extracts or proteins for healthier hair? Now we're talking! So what is the truth? What ingredients truly help the condition of our hair? Here are the "less then sexy" results of a Consumer Reports study on shampoo.

Proteins

Digesting proteins will certainly improve your health but washing your hair with them won't change a thing.

Vitamins and provitamins

Offer no advantage to hair care or hair problems.

Botanical extracts

Make a product smell good but do not offer any other beneficial qualities to hair care.

UV protectant

Very minimal results were noted on the tested products.

fruit acids, a.k.a.

alpha-hydroxy acids

Offers no benefit to hair care.

Antioxidants

Offers no benefit to hair care.

Designer water

Benefits derived from including designer water to hair products will be washed away with normal shower water.

Humectants

Manufacturers use humectants in shampoo mainly to increase advertising verbiage. The shampoo detergents remove the humectants that attract moisture to hair.

Ingredients that work!

Ammonium lauryl sulfate

Detergent type ingredient that cleans the hair.

Guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride

Promotes smoothness and volume to hair.

Dimethicone

Coats the hair adding to manageability and softness.

In any case, what has this got to do with the science section? Shouldn't it be in general off topic or something?

Cause all the smart people hang in the science section!

And hey, science isn't limited to Buckministerfullerine's, Free Electron Lasers, and quantum singularities! Sometimes we need to know that dimethicone is uber-important to my hair! hahaha ;)

Anyway, I am going to assume that my moms theory is bunk!

And yes, she is a lovely person. :D