Hi guys, I just gotta find out!

Everything that swirls, swirls from right to left AND also from left to right. Maybe you are asking whether the swirling is clockwise or counterclockwise?

Edit: Oh and sorry for being an ass. :D

I thought it depends on the design of the toliet.

This thread reminds me of a espoide of The Simpsons where Barts asks a guy from oz about his toliet. It was extremely funny that he sent the poor guy afar to find out his "neighbour"'s toliet's direction of flushing.

This thread reminds me of a espoide of The Simpsons where Barts asks a guy from oz about his toliet. It was extremely funny that he sent the poor guy afar to find out his "neighbour"'s toliet's direction of flushing.

586715540[/snapback]

Yep. The design of the toilet will have more to do with it than the Coriolis Effect of Earth. There isn't enough mass in the water to overcome the way the toilet is designed and spin a different directoin.

586715540[/snapback]

then they had the "American" toilet at the US embassy:

"To combat homesickness, we've installed a device that makes them swirl the correct American way. " :pinch:

Yep.  The design of the toilet will have more to do with it than the Coriolis Effect of Earth.  There isn't enough mass in the water to overcome the way the toilet is designed and spin a different directoin.

586715552[/snapback]

Ok thank you, that's what I wanted to know :p, and yeah you are right dude, I meant clockwise.

then they had the "American" toilet at the US embassy:

"To combat homesickness, we've installed a device that makes them swirl the correct American way. "  :pinch:

586715568[/snapback]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

586715540[/snapback]

I remember watching that episode. :p

i thought its got to do with the magnetic fields of earth. mmm

one more thing. do we stir, say coffee, the direction the toilet swirls cause its the natural way, if so, do aussies stir in the other direction?

I'm studying abroad in New Zealand right now from the United States, and none of the toilets swirl here... they're all of the "power flush" style.

We also had to debunk the mystery though, so we put some water in a sink and emptied it out. Sure enough, it swirled opposite of what we were used to.

Our toilet systems generally have a different design to yours, they don't drain down a small hole and then refill, but rather have new water released on top of the old when flushed, pushing the old water out the bottom and into the sewerage system. Because of this design, they don't spin at all because the movement around a bottleneck doesn't occur.

I'm sure that if you installed a US Designed toilet here, it might spin in the opposite direction to yours

just wanting to put my oar in.

in the UK in general they don't swirl but have a power flush system. However when i was in Germany there was an interesting incident with what can only be described as a shelf on which the "deposit" would sit, not covered by water and when flushed it would push it into the water and down the hole at the bottom. This made the whole experience rather unpleasant. I was wondering if this was the case all over Germany, seemd to be in Berlin.

hmmm might have found my forum speciallised subject here i'm ashamed to say :x ;)