SLR digi cam questions

Alright, I love taking photos and I love my digital camera (Canon A-510, 3.2mp 4x optical) and i think it takes pretty good pictures especially for the price ($160) i paied for it beginning of this year.

Although I have a few quetions on these cameras. What makes them so much better then like the one i have and costs a hell of a lot more?

Also, my dad has a old 35mm canon lens for his canon SLR camera. Could i use this on mine if i got one?

Whats the difference between a high priced camera, then jumping $1-200 for a DSLR?

Also, can someone reccomend me a camera for about $500?

dSLRs have a many more features and functions but most of all they allow interchangable lenses along with the advantage of a larger sensor, reducing noise in higher ISO and giving more dynamic range in the photographs..

You will not be able to use the old lenses unless you buy the expensive full frame dSLR Canon 5D or 1Ds ... all lower models have a smaller sensor and a crop factor which require a different set of 'EF-S' lenses...

you will be hard pressed to get a dSLR for $500, atleast 700 for a Rebel xT

dSLRs have a many more features and functions but most of all they allow interchangable lenses along with the advantage of a larger sensor, reducing noise in higher ISO and giving more dynamic range in the photographs..

You will not be able to use the old lenses unless you buy the expensive full frame dSLR Canon 5D or 1Ds ... all lower models have a smaller sensor and a crop factor which require a different set of 'EF-S' lenses...

you will be hard pressed to get a dSLR for $500, atleast 700 for a Rebel xT

586770613[/snapback]

Lower models? The 350D is Canon's lowest model DSLR at the moment, that can use EF and EF-S lenses. But in essense you're right, go back too far and the lenses won't work.

Whats the difference between a high priced camera, then jumping $1-200 for a DSLR?

586770404[/snapback]

I'll only answer this part, and then I've only got limited knowledge. DSLR's have advantages such as low noise at higher ISO's, interchangeable lenses, RAW file support and a few others (told you it was limited ;) ). Point and Shoot cams like the normal digital cameras you're used to seeing have their advantages such as ease of use, shooting through an LCD (some prefer this to a viewfinder, there's no live LCD on DLSRs in the same way there is on P&S cameras), price and other features like movie recording.

I've gone for a DSLR myself for a few reasons, pictures quality being a big one, and low noise results being another. I'm sure others will chime in with their own pros and cons.

oops..sorry i was under the impression that only full frame took EF lenses, you're right...

586771347[/snapback]

It's all cool :happy:

Well i mean what is the main difference between the Canon PowerShot S2 IS (5MP, 12x opticalm DIGIC II chip) and the rebel XT besides the rebel having external lenses?

I mean would the PowerShot S2 be a worthy upgrade?

It would be definitely a worthy upgrade, while you're looking for cams in tht category keep a lookout for Panasonic FZ20 or FZ30, theyre pretty good too...

586772966[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm a fan of those cameras. Well, of the FZ20, I used to own it but I imagine the FZ30 trumps it in every way.

I'll add this too, generally, P&S cameras has very sharp and clean pictures in jpeg that you will be ready to print. SLR has a way more wide range of things you can do and also specially in post processing with a picture editing software (like photoshop) to play with the p?cture. Like Dazzla said, you can play with a RAW image where you have 16bits quality instead of 8bits where you have way more details.

However, for 500$, I doubt you can have a Relex camera. But a SLR-Like (Bridge for others), you will be able to get one. Canon S2, Fujifilm S5200 and the panasonic that Dazzla said are wonderful cameras

• 2 weeks later...

If you can, save up and get a dSLR- I've got a Canon 350D SLR - its a great camera.

Go for good quality lenses - lenses easily out last a camera. I've got an excellent "L Series" 300mm telephoto (f2.8) which takes stunning photos - clarity that is astounding.

Also a 100mm macro (also f2.8) - and an all purpose standard 28-105mm for point and shoot situations.

A good quality dSLR with good quality lenses gives excellent results - I always shoot in RAW.

I've taken 12,000 + photos with the 350D SLR - its a great camera..