invisibleSHIELD for iPod

6/10: Functional, but not everything I hoped it'd be.

I didn't take any pictures, because it's quite hard to capture the essence of this "clear" cover for the iPod. I bought it to put it on my brand new iPod Video, and I have to say that I'm displeased. The reason could be simply my own install of the shield wasn't perfect, but it's actually quite difficult to install.

The finished results are an iPod with a rippled effect on the front, and the bubbles are quite attrocious. Even using a squeegy, I was unable to remove the bubbles and leave my iPod looking great. It also has a dried glue look in some spots.

None of this is noticeable under the right lighting (standard incandescent or low level lighting), but when you are in flourescent light or outdoors, it looks horrible.

However, I would say that the device does WORK. I tested running a key across it as well as handling it and it dramatically reduces fingerprints and it obviously doesn't allow the iPod to get scratches, but even though it's visible I'm just letting you know to not expect a perfect appearance from this product. To me it's so aggravating that I took the front protection off, leaving only the back protection until I get a real case like the Vajacase. I guess that my frustration could come from extremely high expectations for the product having seen the video on the website and the demonstration photos provided.

Hell, I'd like the person who installed the invisibleSHIELD on those images to install it on mine, because it looks perfect!

I'm typically careful enough with my iPods to avoid frontal scratching, and I've had the device since the first shipments without scratching it yet, but the mirror back surface always concerns me. Good news is they will have Vajacases this month, but I hate that I have to remove it to use it with my car dock.

I used the invisible shield for my nano. I love it. It takes it couple tries, but just make sure you have all the bubbles out while it's still kinda wet. Then it's easy to reapply.

my friend has an invisible shield on his nano and he only has one or two bubbles on the back, if you dont like the look of it then get a friend or something to apply it correctly

I have one, and it looks perfect, no bubbles or anything. You just have to be very patient when applying it. However, don't order from InvisibleShield, $25 is a rip-off. You can get the EXACT SAME THING from http://www.bestskinsever.com for only $7 + shipping. Literally, the same material. I bought an Invisible Sheild because it was the only option at the time, but a friend of mine ordered from BestSkinsEver after they came out with it and it is the same 3M material.

I have one, and it looks perfect, no bubbles or anything. You just have to be very patient when applying it. However, don't order from InvisibleShield, $25 is a rip-off. You can get the EXACT SAME THING from http://www.bestskinsever.com for only $7 + shipping. Literally, the same material. I bought an Invisible Sheild because it was the only option at the time, but a friend of mine ordered from BestSkinsEver after they came out with it and it is the same 3M material.

586818560[/snapback]

thx for the tip.. :)

,Nov 20 2005, 02:24]There's also a lifetime warrenty.

So if you screw up the application, (or just want a new one for some reason) yeah .. it's there. :)

586831144[/snapback]

I think I remember reading at the site that the warranty doesn't cover bad applications. :pinch:

Edit: Found it

What does the Replacement Policy NOT cover?

Installation errors are not covered by the replacement policy. This includes bubbles under the invisibleSHIELD film, as well as incorrect alignment of the shield on your device.

Edited by crimsonhead

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I understand that the installation process is a bit tricky... How many times can you reapply and try again? And does it damage your iPod when you take it off to try it again?

^^ You can only remove it and reapply it if it has been less than two hours since you put it on. After that, you can take it off but won't be able to use it again.

Hmm, interesting - thanks =D. That should mean that it's possible to get a near-perfect application, even if it will take some time. I will definitely post about my experience with the InvisibleShield when I get my iPod (won't be for a bit though...)

• 3 weeks later...

I have an ipod video 3-g with it and there is no better solution. Everyone I have showed mine too didn't even know it was there. I live in salt lake city, utah where www.invisibleshield.com is base from so for $3 they will apply it for you as well. They let me watch and it really just take patience. i han't see the other site but if it is the same thing I highly recomend this product.

PS if anyone is wonedering this is just a clear film protector. It protects against scratches and prints not agains drops!

I have a nano as well as a spare invisible shield. I bought the nano a few weeks before I got the shield and it's already scratched quite a bit. Should I wait until my nano breaks (if it breaks) or just put it on (as in, will it conceal some of the scratches?)

Also, does the plastic film seem to get in the way of the wheel, from some people's experience?

well its not going to break that fast because it has flash memory. (use car chargers if you really want to break it) but i say put the film on. i have another kind of plastic film for my ipod video and you can't see the scratches (on the wheel) when i put it on

well its not going to break that fast because it has flash memory. (use car chargers if you really want to break it) but i say put the film on. i have another kind of plastic film for my ipod video and you can't see the scratches (on the wheel) when i put it on

Another kind of film? No scratches? Please elaborate! (brand?)

• 1 year later...
^^ You can only remove it and reapply it if it has been less than two hours since you put it on. After that, you can take it off but won't be able to use it again.

Correction, I've removed mine even after 24hrs, and reapplied the shield and it still worked great.

I've heard to see best results to wait about a *month or so, for the plastic to thoroughly dry out and attach itself.

*Source: http://theappleblog.com/2005/11/14/practicing-safe-ipod/

I looked over the site. It said it wasnt scratch proof? :unsure:

Whereas the Invisible Shield is a completely abrasion proof method.

I looked over the site. It said it wasnt scratch proof? :unsure:

Whereas the Invisible Shield is a completely abrasion proof method.