Unofficial Newbie Guide To OS X

*cough* Wk did it *cough*  :whistle:

Freely admit to doing so as well cos i'm in the process of emailing the guy that does the actual guidebook to osx and asking him if he has plans to upgrade it for jag, and if not can I update it and post it on here. That way there is actually a guide for newbies that is in pdf format that they can read even when they aren't on neowin instead of just a list of programs that everyone uses.

Freely admit to doing so as well cos i'm in the process of emailing the guy that does the actual guidebook to osx and asking him if he has plans to upgrade it for jag, and if not can I update it and post it on here. That way there is actually a guide for newbies that is in pdf format that they can read even when they aren't on neowin instead of just a list of programs that everyone uses.

Tim made me rat you out...HONEST!! :innocent:

I like the pdf idea. Links for webpages can only get you so far.

• 3 months later...

lol... i like menumeters... dont remember where i got them, but it's good to know ram usage and bandwidth usage.

find'em using a search at www.resexcellence.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I figured to put this here since it seemed appropriate. Anyone know of a free window shader (in other words not windowshadex, im a cheap person)?

• 4 weeks later...
Are there any Windows Media Player 9 Codecs for the Mac out there?

guess not .. a google search didnt come up with anything .. and the WMP u get for Mac is 7.

A warning to all new Mac Customizers:

Duality is currently an awful theme switcher. I have no idea why it was included as a top freebie in MacAddict. Instead, there is a nice alternative called ThemeChanger. Just a word of warning to all new Mac users who want to play around with their systems.

A warning to all new Mac Customizers:

Duality is currently an awful theme switcher. I have no idea why it was included as a top freebie in MacAddict. Instead, there is a nice alternative called ThemeChanger. Just a word of warning to all new Mac users who want to play around with their systems.

Yep, Duality is crapware :p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I still havent found a good ftp client that i like.

On PC i use FlashFXP mainly but have used SmartFTP more recently because it is free (even though it seems less intuitive).

Is there a good FTP program that has good queing stuff and a little more powerful than just drag & drop?

I looked at the ones listed here (Interarchy, Transmit, Cyberduck, etc..)

You might try FTPeel. I haven't used it much myself, but it doesn't seem bad. Though it isn't all that advanced. I use Transmit, and have found it to be the best (in my opinion).

HTH

-Ryan

Edited by ry00n

I don't like Imagewell. For some reason I think that the brushed coming out of the titlebar looks awful. The interface isn't great either. :/

I don't like Imagewell. For some reason I think that the brushed coming out of the titlebar looks awful. The interface isn't great either. :/

I don't use it either ... but a friend of mine swears by it. Good points about the UI, i agree!