Unofficial Newbie Guide To OS X

I'm looking for a decent app like this as well. Specifically, I'm looking for one that has the following features:

1. preferably free, but a reasonable shareware price is OK

2. supports a wide variety of image formats

3. allows basic editing, cropping, etc of images

4. allows you to change between images in a folder with arrow keys and/or buttons on the toolbar (similar to the arrows in the editing view in iPhoto), without having to go back to the contact sheet view between images

5. doesn't take up a huge amount of RAM or disk space

Basically, I'm looking for the perfect cross between Preview and iPhoto (more powerful than Preview, but without the database features of iPhoto). If you've ever used IrfanView on Windows, that's basically the feature set I'm looking for. I've tried several different programs so far, and haven't found one that isn't either a pain to use or overkill.

Are there any Windows Media Player 9 Codecs for the Mac out there?

A while back, Microsoft stated that they would have Windows Media 9 out for OS X soon (I thought they said by the end of October, but I guess that slipped). Haven't seen it yet, but maybe it will show up soon.

• 5 weeks later...
A while back, Microsoft stated that they would have Windows Media 9 out for OS X soon (I thought they said by the end of October, but I guess that slipped).  Haven't seen it yet, but maybe it will show up soon.

WMP9 For OSX

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...sx/default.aspx

Been out for a few weeks. Have fun. Would be interested in knowing how it compares to iTunes.

WMP9 For OSX

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...sx/default.aspx

Been out for a few weeks. Have fun. Would be interested in knowing how it compares to iTunes.

Yep, and I downloaded it the day it came out. Fine for playing the occasional Windows Media file, but no other features to speak of. By the way, notice when my previous comment was posted. It was a few weeks before M$ got around to releasing it.

• 2 weeks later...
Yep, and I downloaded it the day it came out.  Fine for playing the occasional Windows Media file, but no other features to speak of.  By the way, notice when my previous comment was posted.  It was a few weeks before M$ got around to releasing it.

Looks like I'll be sticking with iTunes, then.

BTW, I did notice the date of your post, I was going by the date stated on the download center page - October 20 - a couple of weeks before your post. Typical, can't trust M$ to do anything right, can you? ;)

Does anyone know of a good media player that plays Ogg? I'm slowly migrating from a PC, and have a few Ogg tracks. I see Unsainty have Mint Audio, but it looks not to have been updated for a while.

• 5 weeks later...

what's the best download manager? it'd be nice if it was free and relatively simple... hell, even if it was just a haxie to make safari resume downloads and give some more info, that would be nice.

don't suggest another browser though, i want to use safari.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I thought iPhoto would allow you to resize... I've never used the program myself, but it would make sense for an image program to allow resizing.

Looks like you managed to get a screenshot up though. ;)

• 2 months later...

Whats the best site out there for themes and so on, like you can get themexp and wincustomise, are there any so i can get one wicked desktop for my new ibook lol :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone like me is still using ICQ for IM'ing and don't like the official client I want to recommend Icy Juice. It uses libicq2000 and have most of the ICQ features (such as all away modes) missing in Proteus and Adium.

• 2 weeks later...
Select text in a Cocoa app, Choose Services->Summarize under the App's menu.

It's great for longwinded articles. :)

Yep, it works pretty well, I am using it more and more now.

I know how a PC works, but not a Mac, so are there any websites on this for newbies?

you don't need to know how a Mac works, it just does :D

Actually most of the Mac guys on Neowin are pretty clued up, so i'm sure if you have a problem we'll be able to help :)