Xbox360 Backwards-Compatible with 200+ Xbox Games!

This is coming from Microsoft themselves, so this is no rumour. 200+ games at LAUNCH will be backwards-compatible. The catch is the system will use xbox live for the most part (200+ profiles won't come preloaded with the HD, although I'm sure there will be some of the top games included). For those without Xbox Live (meaning those without an internet connection to their 360) you can get the emulation profiles off the xbox website and burn them to a CD.

Very surprised over 200 games are already emulation ready, great job Microsoft did. I was only expecting the very top titles to work.

For a full list of titles emulation ready go here:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/halo2/...tml?sid=6139702

Oh btw, it also says all Xbox-Live enabled games emulated will work online, and cross-platform (meaning you can play with xbox players). Of course this should be expected but still nice to know.

Good list they have there :)

I'm guessing that more than just Halo/Halo2 will be supported out-of-the-box (without signing into Live) but I could be wrong. Of course, you won't need to pay for Live to get those, just sign in with the free Silver subscription that everyone gets.

Notably missing is MechAssault 1&2 - I hope those get added.

A lot of the ones i want are on there (Halo, Halo 2, Fable, Ninja Gaiden Black), but no Splinter Cell 3: Chaos Theory :(

586798860[/snapback]

I noticed that too.. All the Splinter Cell's are missing... Hopefully they're working on getting the emulation profiles and they will come out soon after launch.

It would bloody sweet to see Chaos Theory at 720p/FSAA. Brings it much closer to the PC version (abeit with better control.. Hate the PC version's control lol). Hell it already looked next-gen on the xbox lmao.

Sounds pretty sweet to me :happy:, I'm assuming you need a Xbox Live gold account to download the profiles too? I'm hoping silver members can also download the profiles...

For those without Xbox Live (meaning those without an internet connection to their 360) you can get the emulation profiles off the xbox website and burn them to a CD.

How will that work exactly? won't the Xbox 360 like the Xbox before it refuse to read a burnt CD? I'm guessing maybe they will do what Sony did, make it so it can read burnt data CD's/DVD's but have extra files on the game disks that can't be copied (or some other protection mechinism) so if you try to burn a game it doesn't work I guess..

Sounds pretty sweet to me  :happy:, I'm assuming you need a Xbox Live gold account to download the profiles too? I'm hoping silver members can also download the profiles...

How will that work exactly? won't the Xbox 360 like the Xbox before it refuse to read a burnt CD? I'm guessing maybe they will do what Sony did, make it so it can read burnt data CD's/DVD's but have extra files on the game disks that can't be copied (or some other protection mechinism) so if you try to burn a game it doesn't work I guess..

586798922[/snapback]

Well it does read all burnt media (CD-R/RW dvd-+R/RW), but for games it will probally refuse any burnt. But it does accept mp3 cds, burnt music cds (the xbox did as well for music cds), dvds ect. So I'm assuming if it detects an emulation profile on the cd it will simply transfer it over to the HD thats all ^_^. It does require the HD.

And it will work with Xbox Silver. The cd burning function is for those without an internet connection into their xbox360 (those still on 56k for example).

interesting that NONE of the madden games work......typical

586798863[/snapback]

What, you think EA was actually going to sell many copies of Maddon 06 on the 360 without something like that??

Now it forces everyone who owns Madden to buy that version. EA is quite evil.

What, you think EA was actually going to sell many copies of Maddon 06 on the 360 without something like that??

586799266[/snapback]

and im still not buying 2006, there's nothing special about it and no reason for me to upgrade, ill wait until 2007, even if i have to use my xbox to play football

This list is very nice.... But the real question remains...

How well do these games work under emulation with the Xbox360??

Will the emulated games profits from the HDTV resolution? Is it going to be like Bleem! for the DreamCast that could play PS1 games with better graphics and more speed?

Is this emulation mode stable? Will my game crash or blue screen the Xbox360?

Before jumping and be too hapy about this list, I'll have to see if the emulation works as expected. Just don't trow away your Xbox because of this news.

:huh:

Will the emulated games profits from the HDTV resolution?  Is it going to be like Bleem! for the DreamCast that could play PS1 games with better graphics and more speed?

586799322[/snapback]

comparison2TH.jpg

comparison2TH.jpg

586799353[/snapback]

And where do these pictures come from?

And if they are for real, GREAT! But how fast (fps) is the game? And it does not answer the question about emulator stability.

And where do these pictures come from?

And if they are for real, GREAT!  But how fast (fps) is the game?  And it does not answer the question about emulator stability.

586799359[/snapback]

http://bungie.com/News/TopStory.aspx?story...rsary&p=5312619

Why would they release instable emulator? It would serve no purpose then to emulate at all, plus it will be upgradable through live. You can be sure it plays as good or better than the original, although some games might be locked on lower FPS than the x360 could support.

The profiles might just be a new recompiled XBE. in wich case they don't even really need to emulate

wich would explain a lot around the profiles thingy.

586799266[/snapback]

'

its ****ing evil as ****.. I can't believe they are forcing us to buy madden 360 over madden 06 which i already own. Not to mention that NCAA 06 isn't even listed on compatability ... this is a major disapointment... and a possible reasonf or me not buying the 360 until July ...

I can only afford 1-2 360 games and the main game my roommates and I play are Madden or Ncaa football... w/out those two games really, it is a waste...

**** them!

What?!? No Brothers in Arms or Splinter Cell?? Those are like my favorite Xbox games. Who gives a flying F**K about games like Barbie Horse Adventure or Monster Garage. And did anyone even know there was a He-Man game??

Oh well, at least there is Half-Life 2. Can't wait to get my hands on that next week.

Do you think with games that played at 30 FPS on the Xbox will play at like 60 FPS on the 360? Or will that not change? Thats another reason why I'm so bummed about Brothers in Arms. Earned in Blood would of been euphoric to play if the framerate didn't bog down at times so much.

Edited by Hipster

Now how come I knew they were gonna leave out Panzer Dragoon Orta? Dammit....

586798858[/snapback]

yeah that's a bummer, that game is awesome...and Barbie Horse Adventure is on the list :wacko: