Xbox360 Backwards-Compatible with 200+ Xbox Games!

Well, just bought my first xbox360 game today, so BC isn't that much of a needed feature but for Halo2. So in the end we buy the console for nextgen games, old gen games are just a + though I figure they'll bust out nice support for other games in a years time.

Half of these games probably able to emulate without Microsoft even intentionally doing it. Just like the N64 Emu for the GCn can run a multitude of N64 games, not just OoT, MQ and MM.

Good list, but a surprising amount of titiles that aren't supported. But the words 'by launch' sounds like they plan on doing updates, which is fantastic news. Good job MS! Although, there are a few titles I wouldn't mind seeing supported:

Jet Set Radio Future

Kingdom Under Fire Series

Jade Empire: Collectors Edition

Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind and its GOTY Version

Project Gotham Racing 2

Still though, considering the 360 was originally not going to get Backwards Compatibility, this is a good start! Keep up the good work guys!

Half of these games probably able to emulate without Microsoft even intentionally doing it. Just like the N64 Emu for the GCn can run a multitude of N64 games, not just OoT, MQ and MM.

586801328[/snapback]

Err, well yes the emulator can probably run a bunch of games.

But they need to tweak what hardware and driver features the game uses. This probably includes ensuring that it runs at HD resolutions, that it runs at an acceptable framerate, and determining what FSAA and AF levels can be applied to the games without compromising performance or playability.

Of course there's probably a lot more to it than that.

You're right that the emulator can probably play other games (or at least load them) if they disabled the check for the game's profile/certificate. But that doesn't mean it would work properly or would be supportable by Microsoft.

the fact that you can burn the profiles to disc and make games compatible without an internet connection is a brilliant idea.

but how does backwards compatibility work without a hdd?

the fact that you can burn the profiles to disc and make games compatible without an internet connection is a brilliant idea.

but how does backwards compatibility work without a hdd?

586802009[/snapback]

it doesnt.. you need a hd.

riiiight...so the people that get the core package wont have backwards compatibility until they buy a hdd.

that's something MS wont publicise.

586802074[/snapback]

Well it makes total sense. Emulating hardware that's been replaced with different/more powerful cpu/gpu's ect is one thing.. But emulating a system that has a HD built-in and is used in literally every game for caching is another.. I mean where do you think those cache files will go instead?

And it has been publicly announced on many occasions that only the Xbox360 System (not the Core) would support backwards-compatibility, and that buying the hard drive is the only alternative to core users. So I'm not sure where you got that info from.

sorry i meant it's something that MS will use to make the premium system sound a lot better (it is a lot better after all).

586802409[/snapback]

That's true. Core is a waste of money obviously unless you're a "very" casual gamer.. And while it's true that a more simple version should appeal to casual gamers, it's still $399 (Canadian) lol.. So honestly MS would have been better off strictly selling a Premium version now, and maybe in the future once prices drop consider a core version.

*EDIT - Btw that's a nice Canadian chick you got there in your avatar ;). Lol grew up watching her on Popular Mechanic's for Kids.