Can USC Beat A NFL Team?

Can USC Beat A NFL Team?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Can USC Beat A NFL Team?

• Yes
    • No

Heres what would be cool...best college team plays best pro team....after rose bowl and when the playoffs arent going on. it could be a week before the superbowl cause theres 2 weeks off. both teams play for pride and the college players get a taste of pro ball, with some moving on never have played and some gettin ready for the league. usc yes, texas no

Not a chance. Pro players spend all day every day practicing and working out. College players just do it during part of their days. Even the worst pro team would destroy any college team.

Agreed its nonsense to try to compare NFL to NCAA D1. Even if it was the Cardinals a 'bad' NFL team; the game at teh line would be ridiculous. The speed of the NFL linemen would make the college boys look like they were in slow motion. Its common knowledge that an NFL rookie's biggest adjustment isn't learning the play system, its actually adjusting to the speed at which the game is played. If USC played the Cards, the Cards D linemen may just take the ball away from Leinart in the transisiton to Bush. Same would go for the O-line, and O skills positions.

Gap is way too wide between the colleges and pro's. How many rookies actually pan out, look at the first round of the draft, the 30 best college football players and maybe half of them have any impact on their teams. Probably only 3 or 4 out of those guys will actually be good for their teams. USC definitely doesn't have that many first rounders.

Since they can't beat Texas.....NO.

Dang you beat me. I thought about this same topic after the game. I hope this game proves that USC can't beat an NFL team. Like it was needed after the ND and Freso State games.

Since they can't beat Texas.....NO.

That's like saying a college baseball team couldn't beat an MLB team simply because they couldn't win the college world series... and that's definitely happened in sprint training (although granted not all the star players are there, but still players who would be considered "better" than college players).

All season journalists and analysts have been saying that USC might be the best college team ever, which I tend to disagree with, but now that they lost to Texas the media is saying how week USC's defense is. That's just like the media. They do 180s at will and most of them either have no idea what they're talking about or they just say the same thing that ever other journalist says.

Dang you beat me. I thought about this same topic after the game. I hope this game proves that USC can't beat an NFL team. Like it was needed after the ND and Freso State games.

How did that game prove anything?

USC would give the 49ers a good run for their money. USC's offense is better than a lot of NFL teams. Their defense would be one of the worst in the NFL, but they could probably beat San Fran. If they couldn't, it would at least be a competitive game.

Are you reading what you are typing? I don't think you understand how big of a gap exist between college football and the pros. The 49ers and any other team that has been mentioned is terrible compared to other pro teams. NFL teams are made of the most talented athletes that spend their time training to be better at football. College athletes are limited by the NCAA to how much time they can dedicate to football. I want to say it the limit is 20 hours per week. Another thing you are forgetting is that only a handful of the players on any college team is even remotely talented enough to make an NFL roster. Have you ever seen any interviews with rookies? They all say the same thing. THe speed of the NFL is one of the main things they have to adjust too.

How many times did VY beat the USC defense on busted coverages?

Look at Pacman Jones, Antrell Rolle, Braylon Edwards, and other rookies and how they struggled in their rookie years with seasoned NFL talent around them. What about the numerous busts every year that were All-Americans in colleges? Ryan Leaf was a good college quaterback.

USC is a pro-style team.

Have you seen the USC offense? Most of those guys will be NFL players.

BTW, 45 players from the Miami-OSU national championship game a few years ago have been in the NFL. The best college teams have a lot of players that will make it into the NFL.

I'm confident in saying San Fran's pathetic defense couldn't stop the USC offense consistently.

USC is a pro-style team.

Have you seen the USC offense? Most of those guys will be NFL players.

BTW, 45 players from the Miami-OSU national championship game a few years ago have been in the NFL. The best college teams have a lot of players that will make it into the NFL.

I'm confident in saying San Fran's pathetic defense couldn't stop the USC offense consistently.

It doesn't matter if USC is a pro style offense.

Yes I have seen the USC offense. I doubt that most of the team is NFL calibur. USC is no different than any great college teams in the past. They seem good because they are playing against other college kids.

Let's look at the defense. USC gave up 344.7 yards a game against other colleges with players that won't make any NFL rosters. To put that number in perspective, Rutgers, Tulsa, Army and even Arkansas had better defenses than the Trojans. If you were to take that exact number and put it against NFL defensive stats do you know where it would be?

They would be ranked 30th in the league. For comparison sakes, SF gives up 50 yards more on defense against the likes Shaun Alexander, Donovan McNabb, Anquan Boldin, and others. Not to awe inspiring in my opinion. For all that offense they can't stop an NFL team.

As for OSU/Miami game, there are about 36 players that were drafted in the2 subsequent years. If you take into account the players that were released that number drops into the twenties. That averages out to about 10 players per team. So that means that about 1/8 of any college team is NFL calibur.

Also that game is not a good one to use. Dorsey has a passer rating of 63.7 and Krenzel has a rating 52.5.

Here is a list of first year starters at quaterbacks and their passer ratings.

Drew Bledsoe 65.

Kyle Boller 52.4

Kerry Collins 61.9

David Carr 62.8

Eli Manning 55.4

Peyton Manning 71.2

Ben Roethlisberger 98.1

Joey Harrington 59.9

So we only have one player in recent years that posted an above average passer rating, not a convincing arguement. Ben had a great running game and great receivers to work with which accounted for his success. I could have went on, but you get the idea.

Edited by method

Texas is #1, so no USC cannot beat an NFL team.

That's a pretty stupid comment.

As for OSU/Miami game, there are about 36 players that were drafted in the2 subsequent years. If you take into account the players that were released that number drops into the twenties. That averages out to about 10 players per team. So that means that about 1/8 of any college team is NFL calibur.

45 players from that game made the NFL. Your stats are wrong.

As for your comments about the QBs:

Those QBs had to learn new offensive systems and play against real defenses. If Leinart and USC played against SF. he would have to do neither.

It was late at night and I used the draft data from NFL.com which only goes up to 2004. Anyway there are about 100 players on each college team, so just 45 players making the league is still less than half.

It's funny you say SF doesn't doesn't have a real defense, but USC's is just as bad yardage wise. Actually it would make them a worse defense because they play against other colleges. I like how you ignored my stance on their defense and solely focus on USC's offense. USC's defense will have to take the field sometime during the game.

I will ask you again. Go check out some rookie interviews, especially receivers, cornerbacks, and quaterbacks where they talk about the difficulty adjusting to the pro game. Pro teams are made up of the best college players from past years. SF sucks compared to other NFL teams, not college teams.

I already said USC has a defense that would be one of the worst in the NFL. RIF.

Plus, what I'm arguing is that USC would have a shot at beating SF. You're arguing "Well, USC's defense is as bad as SF's." OK. Well, their offense is better than SF's. That would make them a better team.

Even if they aren't a better team, they would still give SF a run for their money.

I already said USC has a defense that would be one of the worst in the NFL. RIF.

Plus, what I'm arguing is that USC would have a shot at beating SF. You're arguing "Well, USC's defense is as bad as SF's." OK. Well, their offense is better than SF's. That would make them a better team.

Even if they aren't a better team, they would still give SF a run for their money.

I must have missed it earlier. Actually I don't think USC would be competitive. You are still ignoring the fact the USC rang up most of their yards against teams that don't have NFL calibur defenses. The play between the defensive and offensive lines is where the game would be won. SF would wear down the offensive line with just their physicality.

lmao, I love how you people still argue this constantly. No college team would have a snowballs chance in hell of beating a pro team, it just wouldn't happen. I could go into thousands of reasons why, and about that many again specific to USC, but I won't bother. It's not going to happen, nor is it ever going to be attempted, so lets give it a rest.

damn, i agree. this nonsense has gone on for too long. usc can't even beat a good college team, let alone an NFL team. and yes, the fact that they didn't beat texas DOES have something to do with it. texas' D will probably have only a few guys playing in the pros. if USC can't beat them, what makes you think they can beat a D with the best of the best?