Any info on studio lighting?

Hi guys :)

I plan on setting up a small studio in a spare room, and was wondering - well what does one need in a studio?

Does anybody have any links on simple lighting etc.?

Hell any tutorials on studio lighting and photography would be appreciated :)

Ian.

Well heres the thing, you can be real cheap!

Buy an external flash and put it on your hotshoe of your camera and have the flash pointing up into one of those flash reflectors (look like umbrellas) (if you had a nikon, i could reccomend one for you)

For a background, if you wanted to be cheap, you can but a large roll of paper and put it up, or use a sheet

• 1 month later...

My only suggestion is that if you do use real studio strobes... off camera, be sure that you use a sync cord power regulator. It attaches to your hot shoe. Most strobes trigger voltages can wipe out the delicate voltages inside most digital cameras. I use a Wein HSHSB... it acts as a buffer, kinda like a circuit breaker. I paid about $50.00 US for mine. A small investment when you consider the cost of the camera. I shoot w/ Nikon D70 cameras myself. As for brands... Flashpoint make a few inexpensive units, designed for digital shooters. Digital photography doesn't require as much power as film shooters need. Good luck...