No Care for formula 1 in North America

When I used to live in Malaysia and Pakistan Formula 1 was one of the racing sports which was followed religiously by people. Since i moved to Canada 5 years ago no one here or US cares about formula 1, only nascar which no one cares about in the rest of the world. How come such a brilliant racing sport is not shown on television here in north america and otherwise shown interest in. I mean come on, I used to love Schumacher and Mika go at each other

Well, that's not a true statement at all. Alot of people care about F1, but because it comes on live at 430AM here in the West Coast, not many people are going to get up to watch it...although a few of us do.

And with F1's debacle at Indy this past season, I'm sure alot of fans are disgusted with it anyway.

soloredd it's on basically the same time over here and i know stacks of people that watch it. usa should give up there grand prix to some nation that acutally deserves it

if it aint american they hate it, they always have to have their own ****. formula 1 absolutely destroys nascar

Your way wrong...Alot of people "follow" F1 racing, but it comes on so late here in America that few people can stay awake to watch the race. I don't think there are any North American manufacturers in F1 (other than providing specific parts), so the don't advertise it to the masses like they do for NASCAR. The first time F1 really tried to advertise a race and push into the market they only put 6 cars on the track (not cool). If F1 wants to get followers in North America they need at least 1 North American driver on a competitive team (for people to follow and relate to), they need more races in North America, and they need to advertise and persue viewers.

It also doesn't help when you have Bernie Eccleston on national television telling Danica Patrick (American Indy Car Driver) that she should be in the kitchen and not driving a car :whistle:

Honestly I lile F1 alot, but I like NASCAR much more. F1 is pretty much dominated by the team that builts the best and most technologically advanced equipment, not by a driver. Anyone behind the wheen of a Ferrari is automatically competitive. NASCAR stock cars are built to perform as evenly as possible, this makes the driver/pit crew/race strategy win races (not the manufacturer). :yes:

nascar's kinda gay, it just goes in 30 circles

lol that is so true!!!

it's basically a physical stress test. in contrast, f1 requires mroe skill since there is hills and stuff. haven't see them in a long time since i loved to US... omg i want to see them so bad. esp. the ones with tortuous track!!

Nascar does suck compared to F1, Ive always thought F1 was better. Nascar just drives in circles....so much skill involved!

yeah, nice variations... most races are run in the anticlockwise direction (only left handed turns), but OMG, one or two of them are... OMG... clockwise!!1!1! That oughta throw off 'em NASCAR drivers! :rolleyes:

Some dude here said it correctly, it is just a stress test.

Thats completely wrong. First of all F1 is always covered on the sports stations like TSN, Sportsnet and RDS. All the races and the qualifiers are shown too. News during the offseason is talked about. It doesnt get coverage like hockey does, but trust me, we're always on top of the news.

Maybe because your in Toronto you get exposed to NASCAR more, but we have the Montreal GP here in Montreal in July, and its the biggest event in Canada, i think we get 300-400,000 people at the race. Downtown streets r closed for the entire weekend to promote the race. There are parties, women, fast and expensive cars, and no roads to drive on cause theyre all blocked off for pedestrian traffic during the blazing summers. You should make the trip for next years Montreal GP its a great experience, unlike anything you've seen in NASCAR or Indy/Cart

Yea, I can never understand how American's (at least here in NC) can be so into Nascar, but care nothing for Formula 1. Even the commentators at the Nascar games flame the F1 American Indy Racing league. F1 racing is such a better motorsport.

soloredd it's on basically the same time over here and i know stacks of people that watch it. usa should give up there grand prix to some nation that acutally deserves it

Well, I can't argue about that. I do know there are alot of people who support F1 at Indianapolis, and despite F1's handling of the incident this summer, alot of people want it back.

That said, next to ChampCar, F1 is the best 4-wheel racing out there. Myself, I prefer MotoGP, AMA, and SBK...for some reason, I find 4-wheel racing boring. But everyone has their likes/dislikes I guess.

I'm not sure about other countries and racing, but I think one of the biggest reasons I hate NASCAR (aside from the circle racing) is that they think they are God's gift to the world. Even most of the commentators act like arrogant pricks.

Anyone behind the wheen of a Ferrari is automatically competitive. NASCAR stock cars are built to perform as evenly as possible, this makes the driver/pit crew/race strategy win races (not the manufacturer). :yes:

Your wrong, Ferrari only won one race this season, which was in USA when only 6 cars were on the field. F1 is great, I know many people that love it. But I have a question for you, why dont you all invest in a video recorder if your moaning about the time that it is on?

/\ No I'm not...since Ferrari started dumping tons of money in R&D they have won championships in 2000,2001,2002,2003, and 2004. Shumacher is also a great driver, but I think ANY driver is instantly a competitor in a Ferrari.

First of all nobody was "moaning" about the start time...You asked for reasons that nobody give a crap about F1 and thats one of them. The reason that I don't invest in a video recorder to watch is is simple...I already own one. I just feel the need to record a race then watch it the next day when the winner is already in the sports section of my newspaper. I can watch all sorts of racing on the Speed Channel that is just a fun and competitive at any time of the day. My schedule isn't going to revolve around a Formula 1 race...

NASCAR & Formula One are two different types of motor racing categories. One is a stock car the other is a completely different sort of a car, so no real comparison can be done between them. The North American motorsport is dominated by the IRL & NASCAR, and thus F1 isn't that popular as say in Europe. Due to this not many people watch F1 in North America. A Reason to this could be that not many American drivers have been in F1, and the US Grand Prix begun in 2000. So that too contributes to the fact that Formula One is not much followed sports in the North American.

I get the impression that Formula 1 cars take so much load off the driver with automatic stuff it's not funny. Don't they have sequential semi-automatic gearboxes or something? I can't see what makes NASCAR interesting, driving around in circles doesn't really do much for me and every track is the same so basically if you've got your setup right on one track you're gonna do well on them all.