Theory of Gravity based on SR

Not sure what to make of it rigput. I'm only a humble engineer after all. But one thing I'm wary of is taking theories at face value that have been printed on internet forums and mailing lists such as these. Wait until they have been properly submitted to an appropriate governing body or a respected journal for peer review (which is the correct process) and are then published - and then they might spark my interest.

Best regards,

GJ

All papers submitted via arXiv.org are from independent researchers affiliated with Cornell University

ArXiv is an e-print service in the fields of physics, mathematics, non-linear science, computer science, and quantitative biology. The contents of arXiv conform to Cornell University academic standards. arXiv is owned, operated and funded by Cornell University, a private not-for-profit educational institution. ArXiv is also partially funded by the National Science Foundation in collaboration with local support .

I don't know too much about Cornell but i don't think it's a school for crackpots, but if this is crackpot-ish then i ask that this thread be closed. :)

It isn't really a place for crackpots. But it is a place where lots of ideas are exchanged. Some fly, some do not, some are undergraduate papers, some are more advanced. The difficulty with sites like these is that it is often very difficult to see the wood from the trees. Normally if an article is good enough for publication, it will go through several levels of peer review first and will eventually in time probably be published in a respected journal in a related field. Which is generally the point where the rest of us sit up and take notice.

Again it may or may not be a valid theory - but the real point is that it is far too early to say. But a good place to look for relevant stories is in these journals - because they have already passed most, if not all of the tests and therefore should very probably be taken seriously.

GJ

that's exactly what i thought, raid517. while it may be affiliated with cornell, it doesn't provide the necessary rigor and scientific validation that would be required of academic papers.

as i was telling ripgut, one of the strange things in that paper is that he used calculus to derive the work on a particle at infinity, a result and technique employed in high school. an academic paper wouldn't need to explicitly derive a basic result, which makes me wonder who that author is. i was also unable to find a university affiliation.