WindowBlinds 5: Black title bars on cracked ver

Man, you people have no idea how public relations work. Having a cracked program destroy your computer would get Stardock into legal trouble quickly and would bring more negative feedback than any PR machine could fight off. If I steal a TV, it doesn't give the store the right to burn down my house, no matter what contract they put it into.

Jivemaster had the best solution. Provide an error message, link to buy Windowblinds and have the app uninstall immediately. This gets the message across to the pirate and also makes Stardock look like a compassionate parent simply helping you learn what is wrong and right.

So why then are you willing to risk the sanctity of your PC and your data just to save the $20 that WindowBlinds costs?

I don't know. You're the "expert". You tell us why we should risk it. I think you already know the answer to that question.

On a side note. You are a hypocrite. If you wouldn't have gotten busted for your activities you'de still be warezing like there's no tomorrow. AND, I'm pretty confident you've been involved in some of these $20.00 cracked programs in your lifetime.

I don't know. You're the "expert". You tell us why we should risk it. I think you already know the answer to that question.

On a side note. You are a hypocrite. If you wouldn't have gotten busted for your activities you'de still be warezing like there's no tomorrow. AND, I'm pretty confident you've been involved in some of these $20.00 cracked programs in your lifetime.

So people can't learn from their past? Who are you to judge him and call him a hypocrite? Do you have any idea about the scene back then? What a poor post on your part.

Man, you people have no idea how public relations work. Having a cracked program destroy your computer would get Stardock into legal trouble quickly and would bring more negative feedback than any PR machine could fight off. If I steal a TV, it doesn't give the store the right to burn down my house, no matter what contract they put it into.

Jivemaster had the best solution. Provide an error message, link to buy Windowblinds and have the app uninstall immediately. This gets the message across to the pirate and also makes Stardock look like a compassionate parent simply helping you learn what is wrong and right.

QFT :yes:

And if we had the power to see into the future to know how a given crack was going to be done, we would do that.

And in fact, when we update WindowBlinds next, we'll check for that crack and do just that with regards to the ones that are already out.

But we can't stop someone else from making a crack in the futurethat patches out more than they are intending.

It's the people who made the crack that caused the problem by patching out too much so that when redundant checks came into play, the activation fail dialog no longer would come up and as a result, WB's painting got disabled.

And if we had the power to see into the future to know how a given crack was going to be done, we would do that.

And in fact, when we update WindowBlinds next, we'll check for that crack and do just that with regards to the ones that are already out.

But we can't stop someone else from making a crack in the futurethat patches out more than they are intending.

It's the people who made the crack that caused the problem by patching out too much so that when redundant checks came into play, the activation fail dialog no longer would come up and as a result, WB's painting got disabled.

You obviously can't predict where it will fail and I was wrong for saying you should say something about using an illegal version. However, there should be some kind of fail safe when it stops working correctly, illegal copy or not. Obviously the system has to remain useable, especially for legit users, and maybe WB should simply bail out and hand windows the reigns until the user can correct the issue.