Need help - reflector telescope

After many years of being into astronomy and just using my binoculars to explore the night sky; I got a reflector telescope as a christmas gift for christmas. :cool:

I'm not at all experienced with using it and the instructions in the booklet that came with the telescope are really confusing me.

So I was after a web site or a neowin astronomy genius that can guide me through setting it up properly and getting the most from it.

ST114900E.gif

That is the exact same one I have.

ST114900E telescope

Model:ST114900E

Objective Lens Diameter: 114mm

Focal Length: 900mm

Eyepiece: 1.25-K9mm&K20mm

Barlow Lens: 1.25-2x

Magnification: 45x-200x

Finderscope: 6x30mm

Mount:EQ3

Tripod:Aluminum

Accessories Included: Accessory Tray,1.25-Moon Filter, Sun Filter

Tube material:Aluminum

Well for me, i always recommend joining a local astronomy club and getting some information from the members there, before investing in one. A good beginner telescope would be a Dobsonian Telescope, but seeing as how you already have one, and a good one at that. I'd like to know what exactly is it that you need help with, is it assembly, eyepieces, barlow lens, the view finder, etc?

Well for me, i always recommend joining a local astronomy club and getting some information from the members there, before investing in one. A good beginner telescope would be a Dobsonian Telescope, but seeing as how you already have one, and a good one at that. I'd like to know what exactly is it that you need help with, is it assembly, eyepieces, barlow lens, the view finder, etc?

Initially I had a problem with not being able to see anything out of the telescope. Yes, the lens cover was off :D

But now I am getting light, no chance to stargaze yet, its been cloudy. So :/

Thanks for your message (Y)

Where do you reside if i may ask, also a good place would be (if you're in the city) is at least 30 minutes away from city lights.

I live about 15 minutes from town, but it's not a huge town so visibility is quite good.

Helpful things that I've learned;

When looking through the finder, keep both eyes open, one to track where you are in the "big picture", and one to line up the telescope on target.

Remember, things are inverted in the telescope and finder. Looking through, as you move up, the stars travel down, and so forth.

Viewing the sun is ok, as long as the solar filter that came with the telescope fits over the front end of the telescope. Do not use a solar filter that is meant to be placed over the eyepiece or between the eyepiece and the eyepiece mount. These are prone to cracking/melting from the intensely focused energy, and if they do, you will burn out your retina.