Run MSN 7.5 & WLM together

1. Install msn 7.5

2. Backup/Copy The

%homepath%/Program Files/MSN Messenger

Map to something like C:

3. Install Windows Live Messenger

4. YOu can use both now:) and if want to use wlm and msn on the same time i think to polygamy those 2 will work ;)

1. Install msn 7.5

2. Backup/Copy The

%homepath%/Program Files/MSN Messenger

Map to something like C:

3. Install Windows Live Messenger

4. YOu can use both now:) and if want to use wlm and msn on the same time i think to polygamy those 2 will work ;)

Thanks, that worked.

I should of realised how to do it, I tried renaming the MSN folder and leaving it in the program files directory but it must have to be moved out of their tottally :blush:

I see your looking for an WLM invite, when and if I get some I will be sure to send you one.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Install MSN Messenger 7.5 then copy the folder "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger" and paste it somewhere else.

Uninstall MSN Messenger 7.5 from Add/Remove Programs and install WLM 8.0. Then just create shortcuts to msnmsgr.exe inside that folder you copied (Y)

Yeah it would, At least for MSN 7.5, And if you want to run the both clients at the same time, just apply a polygamy patch to each clients and make shorcuts

Wouldn't it take up a lot of memory resources to run two messengers at the same time like that, because WLM 8 according to what i've heard already takes a nice chunk of memory?

Wouldn't it take up a lot of memory resources to run two messengers at the same time like that, because WLM 8 according to what i've heard already takes a nice chunk of memory?

He might not to run them both at the same time though. Just have them both installed at the same time, that way he can test and play around with WLM for a bit and yet still use MSN 7.5 as his main messenger when he needs to.

the only way it should use more memory is in that you've got two programs running , the fact that thier both messenger makes no difference, its jsut like if you had Firefox and IE open..

just copy ur msn7.5 folder and dump it somewhere and then install WLM, its been asked b4!

well, this did not work for me. After I did as you instructed, it just depends which messenger I opened up first after installing 8.0-- if 7.5, then it'll just be 7.5 even when I open the exe file under the 8.0 folder; if 8.0, then it'll always be the 8.0 version even when I try to click the 7.5 application file.

Yer, they dont seem to interlink with each other well. I kept having problems running both, so I just decided to run and test the BETA permanately.

I would of done that originally, but I was to in love with MsgPlus.

well, this did not work for me. After I did as you instructed, it just depends which messenger I opened up first after installing 8.0-- if 7.5, then it'll just be 7.5 even when I open the exe file under the 8.0 folder; if 8.0, then it'll always be the 8.0 version even when I try to click the 7.5 application file.

you might have to run the polygamy patch on one of the clients... Not sure, but i applied it to the 7.5 one, and i think it works when I open 7.5, then WLM... i'll check right now... lol

Ok... here's how it works for me... polygamy patch has been applied to 7.5, then i copied the directory to desktop, uninstalled 7.5... Then I installed wlm.

When i want both clients open, i first open wlm, then I open 7.5, and it works...

u go like this

create a program files file in another drive on ur computer if you have more then one outside of C:

like X:\Program Files\MSN Messenger

then install Windows Live Messenger in default C:\program files\MSN Messenger then go into that folder copy all the files and then go to X:\Program Files\MSN Messenger and paste all files from the ones you copied into the new folder.

then you go back to the old default directory u originally installed it to delete all files from it then make sure its not listed in your add/remove programs list.

then you go download or open installer for 7.5 and install it to C:\program files\MSN Messenger

then put polygamy on 7.5

and then should work

(X: being drive outside of your actual windows partition with real program files folder in it)

(C: being drive where your actual windows program files folder is installed)

i think windows live messenger latest install to MSN Messenger folder im not quite sure but should work anyhow. hope this cleaned everyone on how to do it there probably is another way but this is how i done it. :)