holding a microphone to your eye....

tried googling, which yielded no results.

i have wondered for a long time why when you hold a microphone to your eye, it 'screeches', i have noticed this with childrens toys, cordless phone intercoms, fm micrphones.

thanks,

--mike

^ hmm, interesting idea.....

.....i was thinking more along the lines of your eyes 'pulsating' or oscliating with a frequency close to that of the microphones resonant frequency, but this doesnt explain why it works on lots of different microphones with assumingly different sensor units

Woah... Somebody is either jobless or has way too much time in his hands... :| LoL

High-pitch sound is caused by resonance, so it could be the curvature of your eye socket.

I would guess that it has to do with the ambient nose in the room, amplified by the natural curve of your eye socket.

kinda like standing in the middle of a dome and talking???

There's a distinct possiblity that a screetch may happen since the frequency of the oscillations of the electromagnetic waves coming out of your head (which are weak and dessipate quickly leaving very ittle energy for the wave to cause the assumed "resonance") can cause resonance in the electronic components and transistors inside the microphone causing a increase in the amplitude of the oscillations. This, in turn, MAY transmit a slight screetch. That, of course, is something that i'm not sure of since I never studied resonance in detail, but this is the only explanation for it. And its really something that;s very hard to explain since I really know vry little about the wave propagation coming out of the brain, and its range.

Hope that helps a little

Another explanation that comes to mind is this one and its much more plausable:

A slight air current may cause a screetch as it passesthrough your head. The variation in the elocity and the period of these currents causes a screetch that may appear out of phase.

Seriously m8, can you have a stupider question?!!?!!