Neowin Mac users

Macbook White:

2ghz C2D

1gb ram, got 2gb on the UPS truck right now..

80gb hdd, Im planning on upgrading to 160 soon

Combo drive

• 2 weeks later...
24" iMac

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

500 GB Hard Drive (WD 7200 RPM, 16 MB cache)

8x Dual-Layer SuperDrive

ATI Radeon 2600 HD PRO 256MB Video Card

Mac OS X 10.5.1

iPhone 8GB (1.1.2)

:D

New addition! :D

13" MacBook (Black)

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

3GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

160GB HDD

8x DL SuperDrive

• 3 weeks later...
New addition! :D

13" MacBook (Black)

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

3GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

160GB HDD

8x DL SuperDrive

[jealousy] Yay, you're the best! [/jealousy]

:D

• 4 weeks later...

I just jumped to Mac OS X - I've bought a few High-End Laptops in my time and the polycarbonate material is what swayed me - the glossy plastic in a lot of Windows-based laptops is really flimsy stuff. Especially in the keyboard.

As with most Apple products, the packaging was excellent. Simple to set up.

I just bought the basic White MacBook.

MacBook 13.3-inch

2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1GB DDR2 RAM

120GB SATA 2 Hard Drive

ATA CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combi Drive

Mac OS X 10.5.2

I got one question though.

I have some spare DDR2 RAM from one of my old Laptops (Non-Mac) - They're two 1GB Sticks of DDR2 PC2-5300. They're both identical Samsung sticks.

Will they work fine or will I have to grab something else?

Huy :

I see that you have 4GB of RAM....

I have a 24" iMac from the first gen of 24", but sometimes it's really laggy and all, and my memory is always full in the Pie Chart of Activity Monitor.

Will it really change something if I get 4GB of RAM instead of 2 eventually?

^^ IMO, I am not really sure if you can use those non-Apple ram on your Macbook but maybe someone else would be able to help you :)

I am also a recent Mac user (or Maclovin as I like to call myself :p)

iMac 20 Inch (Intel)

2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1GB DDR2 RAM

250GB SATA HD

Built in DVD/CD Burner (Not sure which model)

Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.2

Edited by darkstreetracer

You can put non-Apple ram in your MacBook. Mostly it will have a tag Apple MacBook ready or something similar.

MacBook 13.3" white

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

2GB DDR2 RAM

160GB HD

SuperDrive

OS X 10.5.2

I'm not sure it will have that tag - it's been pulled out of a HP Pavilion dv2550se. Which is a pretty modern machine.

Huy :

I see that you have 4GB of RAM....

I have a 24" iMac from the first gen of 24", but sometimes it's really laggy and all, and my memory is always full in the Pie Chart of Activity Monitor.

Will it really change something if I get 4GB of RAM instead of 2 eventually?

If I'm not mistaken, the first 24" were the white (2.16) Intel ones. They support up to 3GB only. Get the most RAM that you can. I got mine from OWC (eshop.macsales.com) and I'm in Australia! Also any RAM will do. No such thing as "Apple RAM" (they use Hynix in the ones I've played with/owned). :)

MODEL:

2008 Mac Pro

SPECS:

Dual 2.8Ghz Intel Xeon Processors

4TB ( 4x 1 Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD)

16gb RAM (8x 2gb Stick(s) PC-6400 FB-DIMM 800Mhz)

2x 8800GT GPU Cards(s)

2x Lite-On 20x LiteScribe DVD/CD Burner SATA

EXTRAS:

2x Acer AL2223w LCD 22" WideScreen Monitors

Apple Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard

GE 24-n-1 Card Reader

GE 4 Port USB Hub

Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround

HP Officejet 5610V All-n-One Printer

MODEL 2:

8GB iPhone

Must be some kind of server... otherwise I wouldn't understand the point of using the Xeon's.

wow, 16 gigs of RAM, 4TB, and dual video cards..what do you do with that thing, echo?

Awesum...

i video edit, graphic design, web design, program software, run VMs, etc....anything and eveyrthing. I vid card for what willbe 30" ws HD monitors. I'm going to go ahead and max it out at 32gb of ram. ive come within 512mb of running out. i don't want to run out and i like to have everything open at once so i don't have to keep opening and closing apps.

Currently got a Mac Mini but just ordered an iMac - due to be delivered on Monday :)

20" Display

2.4GHz Core 2 Duo

Radeon 2600HD Pro

320GB HDD

1GB RAM

8x Dual Layer Superdrive

Planning on ordering an extra 1GB to throw in it, though seriously pondering a 4GB kit as they're not MEGA expensive.... hmm...

Can't WAIT to get it :)

i video edit, graphic design, web design, program software, run VMs, etc....anything and eveyrthing. I vid card for what willbe 30" ws HD monitors. I'm going to go ahead and max it out at 32gb of ram. ive come within 512mb of running out. i don't want to run out and i like to have everything open at once so i don't have to keep opening and closing apps.

Well, that explains it!

I'm running a 30" Dell monitor, and get some occasional flicker every now and then..wonder if doubling up on the vid card would help?

surprised you didnt get the 3.0 or even the 3.2 ghz, especially running all that stuff at the same time, and the video rendering has got to slow things down a bit...

• 2 weeks later...

Been a DOS/Windows User since about 1989, decided to give mac's a try

First Mac Brought in 2005

Powerbook 15.4" 1.67GHZ 1GB RAM 80GB HDD (External 80GB USB HDD for Time Machine)

Running Leopard 10.5.2

Was my first mac and used it for media and generally getting used to Mac's Was impressed with the speed and versatility of the laptop. Came with Tiger (It was just released) and am still amazed that i didn't have to reload the OS throughout all the years of use. (I used to reinstall windows every 9months / 1 year). I only reinstalled to upgrade to leopard. The machine is still running strong, very fast for a lot of operations.

Second Mac Brought 2006

Macbook White 1.83GHZ 2GB RAM 320GB HDD (External 320GB USB HDD for Time Machine)

Running Leopard 10.5.2

Well and truly a mac fan now. Wanted a computer to use both home and at work and when i was out and about. Something smaller than the powerbook with a bit more umph. Upgraded the memory when i got it to 2GB RAM, upgraded the HDD this year. Keeps all my media with me so i can listen while i work. :)

Third Mac brought End 2007

iMac 20" 2GHZ 2GB RAM 500GB HDD (External Firewire 800 Worldbook 1TB for Time machine and file storage)

Running Leopard 10.5.2.

My two laptops were always additional computers to my main computer, which used to be a dell windows xp machine. I realised i hardly used windows at all. I was a PC Gamer but got hacked off with less and less games on the PC Platform (The charts seemed to be made up of world of warcraft and various sims and fifa clones) Went over to Xbox360 and Wii and decided to replace my main home computer with a mac. It was hard to decide between the 20" and 24" however i decided 20" was the best size, as was the speed, for the tasks im gonna use it for now and the future 2GHZ is a good speed. Replaced my Dell as my Main machine and couldn't be happier. I did setup bootcamp but can't remember the last time i loaded it up (i will delete it as i don't find a use for it anymore).

All mac's are used for lifestyle, i.e. photo's, media, surfing email etc.. never had a problem with any of them, very impressed with the mac platform.

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a measly 2GB RAM compared to your 4GB .mac, for my iMac so I'llbe bumped up to 3GB RAM then yay :) Should arrive either Wed or Thurs.

Just purchased a Macbook in white with the 2.4GHZ Cpu, 2GB ram and the 160GB HD, got the Apple Care Pack, I expect it within the week :D