Road Surfacing?

Hi this might seem like an odd question - but like all things I do, there is a method in my madness - but I have recently become interested in the subject of road surfacings.

Specifically (although not exclusively) I'm interested in a type of road sufacing which is known here in the UK as TARMAC (it is a type of road surfacing that was invented by Scotsman John Loudon McAdam in the early 1800s).

In particualr I'm interested in how this system works technically - what it's chemical properties are (melting temeratures, consitution and so on) and whether this kind of road surfacing is common in other parts of the world too?

Also what other road surfacing systems are used - and what advantages/disadvantages do they have when compared to each other?

Is there anywhere I can go to find out about stuff like this?

GJ

Hi this might seem like an odd question - but like all things I do, there is a method in my madness - but I have recently become interested in the subject of road surfacings.

Specifically (although not exclusively) I'm interested in a type of road sufacing which is known here in the UK as TARMAC (it is a type of road surfacing that was invented by Scotsman John Loudon McAdam in the early 1800s).

In particualr I'm interested in how this system works technically - what it's chemical properties are (melting temeratures, consitution and so on) and whether this kind of road surfacing is common in other parts of the world too?

Also what other road surfacing systems are used - and what advantages/disadvantages do they have when compared to each other?

Is there anywhere I can go to find out about stuff like this?

GJ

I found this link, hope this helps.

http://www.tarmac.co.uk/downloads/safety_data07.pdf