GNU/Linux Feburary 2006 Desktops

How do you switch the buttons around in Metacity or is that part of the theme?

Open up gconf-editor and go to -> Apps -> metacity -> general ->

button_layout and rearrange the from there.

kongit, that's really cool and really odd. I just switched to a white and green thing on my KDE desktop. (Y)

nice nice ... seeing xgl here made me feel warm and fuzzy. :) (unfortunately i dont have time to get xgl running at my main pc which has centos 4.2 and ati fglrx running with radeon 9600 and my laptop now has brand new gentoo install and i am taking baby steps learning ways around gentoo)

BTW seeing XGL was so heavily prompted into development by Novell for suse , i was so ****ed off that fedora/redhat seemed kindof left behind and novell's suse and other would just jump ahead, but then i saw this news , OsNews:- Fedora Rendering Project; AIGLX *Updated*. first i was like " allrighttt, finally fedora got gl for x now :) sweet sweet.

but then, i learned its not xgl but something seperate, its like we did not had enough wars between distro's and windows managers and package managers ...... why the hell do we always have to see fight between distro's why cant they simply unite and kick out something all users can unanimously choose and use and sleep in peace at night.

i am just completely ****ed off seeing even the "gl for x " will now have battles and we will need to choose. mind you, competition is always healthy and it always brings more choices, but there is limit for everything .

you can follow battles to some limit and you can be forced to keep thinking what to choose to from , to some extend , not endlessly.

ok , by fear of making this post as hijacking and moving away from this thread topic, i am posting a screenshot. just for the sake of it. ( i dont have that much of feeling in heart to start threads on neowin anymore.)

randomscreenshote176vz.th.jpg

Nice desktops people...

After a quite a long break, still with Linux...

Underground Desktop_022, running KDE-3.5.1

Some modded Superkaramba widgets

Default wall...

feb20ssprev6kw.png

^Clickie...

Nice desktop kyro. I haven't tried E17 for a while, mostly due to the fact that the last CVS build I installed was incredibly buggy.

but then, i learned its not xgl but something seperate, its like we did not had enough wars between distro's and windows managers and package managers ...... why the hell do we always have to see fight between distro's why cant they simply unite and kick out something all users can unanimously choose and use and sleep in peace at night.

The same reason why everyone doesn't get behind just one distro. Or just one Window Manager/Desktop Enviornment. Or just one text editor.

I like the choices. :yes:

Nice desktops people...

After a quite a long break, still with Linux...

Underground Desktop_022, running KDE-3.5.1

Some modded Superkaramba widgets

Default wall...

feb20ssprev6kw.png

^Clickie...

You switched distros on us? Well, at least you have KDE 3.5 now... What I recomend you do, is put an external taskbar widget on the bottom and set the size to small. That would look good (check out mine!).

why cant they simply unite and kick out something all users can unanimously choose and use and sleep in peace at night.

Because there is no perfect solution, no ideal way of doing things that suits everyone. That's the reason there are lots of choices - so that people who have different tastes can use different products. Forcing everyone to use the same product is a bad idea and you should never speak of it again :p

Nice desktop kyro. I haven't tried E17 for a while, mostly due to the fact that the last CVS build I installed was incredibly buggy.

I did a install of the latest cvs last night and it seems to run pretty good. I am extreme noob when it comes to using E so I couldn't figure out how to change the background or better yet, use the files from gete.org.

J

You switched distros on us? Well, at least you have KDE 3.5 now... What I recomend you do, is put an external taskbar widget on the bottom and set the size to small. That would look good (check out mine!).

Hehehe.... I'm just messing with this distro... It still needs to come a long way...

As for the KDE-3.5? I had 3.5 on Mandriva 2006 before I did a reformat of my drives.. :)

Nice desktop kyro. I haven't tried E17 for a while, mostly due to the fact that the last CVS build I$

Thanks Matt :) :) :cool:

Because there is no perfect solution, no ideal way of doing things that suits everyone. That'$

lol, you almost making me feel like i said some kind of blashpemy, and now that i think of it, and i do think yes, what i said is wrong, and

choices are goood but wasted resources (both human and $$$) on some inferior option when already there is superior option waiting to be used and stablised makes me you know say what i said.

I did a install of the latest cvs last night and it seems to run pretty good. I am extreme noob whe..

J

Yo J, well ya, getting e from cvs and making it work is well, not a complete cake walk. but you can always visit #e #get-e channels at irc (via freenode) , everyone is ready there to give you quick answer J, for background you need to get Emblem (which is available after installing e_utils also you can do e17setroot -s imagefile.jpg in terminal, it sets the bg for you :) ).

and cause you guys gave nice comments here is another screenshot.

randome17etkdemo6iv.th.jpg

Enjoy . :cool:

I haven't posted one this month so here it is:

post-33280-1140726858_thumb.jpg

Nothing special. I got bored and used Celestia (neat program BTW) to take the wallpaper.

Nothing special. I got bored and used Celestia (neat program BTW) to take the wallpaper.

:w00t: Celestia! I pimp that app as an install example ("apt-get install celestia") every chance I get!

The desktop I've been using since Xmas, with some added Xgl goodness. Controls are modified VistaBut, icons Tango. The wallpaper is called ElfinPredator.

Screenshot-20060225-400x300.png Screenshot-20060225-400x300-2.png

Edited by Cimmerian

Okay, this here is my new virtual machine in VMWare Server (I really do think they should have called it VMWare Lite or VMWare Basic or VMWare Workstation Basic), the distro is Zenwalk Linux 2.2.

Let's start off with my fancy Lilo screen (Came with it)

bootmenu.gif

Bootup with custom console font (Chosen during install, much better than the average console!)

bootup.th.gif

And the piece de resistance; my new XFCE 4.3 Desktop!!! Featuring a new desktop icon system, and the Thunar file manager!

xfce43_vsfebmar.th.jpg

rezza, how did you get your fonts to be so incredibly good looking?

I second this....

http://metawire.org/~rezza/index.php?page=...ile=.fonts.conf

There's an Ubuntu package called msttcorefonts. My fonts look the same, so I'm assuming that's what it is.

My fonts have nothing to do with the corefonts package - that just provides standard ms fonts like Arial and Times New Roman, which I don't use.

Okay, this here is my new virtual machine in VMWare Server (I really do think they should have called it VMWare Lite or VMWare Basic or VMWare Workstation Basic), the distro is Zenwalk Linux 2.2.

Let's start off with my fancy Lilo screen (Came with it)

Bootup with custom console font (Chosen during install, much better than the average console!)

And the piece de resistance; my new XFCE 4.3 Desktop!!! Featuring a new desktop icon system, and the Thunar file manager!

OMG *fap fap fap*

:p

How did you change the console fonts?

Rob2687:

consolefonts0in.gif

It gave me an option to try out different console fonts during the installation after service setup, the one in the shot caught my attention, looks futuristic! Beats the usual Linux framebuffer console font!

edit: I will write a review of this distro, it's actually pretty good for a VMWare proof of concept! All it needs is automatic partitioning and this slackware distro will be ready for primetime! Even better, the installer asked me fewer questions than I thought it would!

Edited by ViperSnake