DS download stations coming Stateside

Owners of Nintendo's handheld will be able to snag demos, trailers, and other media from Wi-Fi hot spots.

Some countries get all the neat stuff. On their way to work or wherever else they may be headed, gamers in Japan can approach special hot spots, in train stations, for example, and download demos, trailers, and other files to their DS. Unfortunately for North American gamers, such amenities have so far been limited to Japan.

Envious American DS owners were given some reprieve today. At the DICE Summit taking place in Las Vegas, Nintendo announced that DS download stations would be coming to the US "in a matter of weeks."

The company has commitments with retailers EB Games, GameStop, and Game Crazy to host download stations, and negotiations are under way with megaretailers Target and Wal-Mart. Nintendo envisions DS download stations at thousands of retail locations across the country.

[uPDATE] The first download stations will include demos of Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day, Mario Kart DS, True Swing Golf, Pokemon Trozei, Meteos, and Tetris DS. A video of Metroid Prime: Hunters will also be available for download, with new content is expected to be added every quarter.

Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America executive vice president of sales and marketing, said, "We plan on expanding the market for interactive entertainment...for those who already buy our games and for those who don't buy our games."

The content will stay on the DS as long as it's powered on. Once the user shuts off the machine, the downloaded material will be lost.

For more on Nintendo's presentation at the DICE summit, see what company exec Reggie Fils-Aime had to say.

Source

Very cool. Too bad we can't just go to a website and then download it via Wifi from our PC though.

Um, actually you can do that. I do it right now with the japanese demos =/

http://www.akkit.org/DS/E3/

More info on other parts of the site on how to get it to work.

Yeah, I know you can do that. Actually my DS is modded and I have a Supercard, so I can just download those all as ROMS. I just wish there was an offically supported way to do it and an offical website rather than just at hotspots.

No, I don't think you can use the dongle man. Sorry.

Ji@nBing: That's awsome, I just wish that I could mod my DS so that I could play some homebrew (Don't have a GBA flashcart). I just need it for like 15 minutes and I can flash my firmware and then I can just download directly to my DS :p

No, I don't think you can use the dongle man. Sorry.

Ji@nBing: That's awsome, I just wish that I could mod my DS so that I could play some homebrew (Don't have a GBA flashcart). I just need it for like 15 minutes and I can flash my firmware and then I can just download directly to my DS :p

Well downloading directly to your DS is a nice idea, but the DS doesn't have much memory. That's where the supercard is handy. You can get it in either CF or SD, so you can have like 2 gigs of memory!!

Check out this site.