OFFICIAL: Clean install vs. Upgrade XP pro?

Me is a crappy OS. Its windows 98, which crashes more, has the icons of win 2000 (and the tiny interface changes of it as well).

I had nothig btu problems with Me, alos of course a clean install is better! For many many reasons.

Originally posted by Nuphor

If the main reason why you've chosen not to upgrade is because a demo does not work, then there's something seriously wrong you. You muppet.

well that's a matter of opinion isn't it? if you don't agree with an opinion then say so with respect.

lets keep things in perspective here!

I do not agree with RomeoXP1.0.8.6. but if for him playing the demo of Starcraft is important, more important than the retail, then that is the choosen priority for him. give the man a solution how the get the Starcraft demo to work on a clean installed XP...and if that is not possible then he found himself at least a workaround by upgrading instead of clean installing.

I was hooked on Q3A in the past. I switched to win2k and I had major problems with the gamma/brightness in Q3A (too dark and I tried all possible tweaks) whilst playing it under win2k. I, yep I, choose that win2k had so much more to offer (stability being a very big reason) that I gave win2k as an OS more priority than being able to play Q3A in a normal manner. the gamma/brightness problems were solved a few months later btw. somebody else might have reverted back to f.e. win98 in order to be able to play Q3A...taste & priority differs

all of this is besides my personal experience and believe that a fresh/clean install is way better than an upgrade. I once upgraded, cannot remember from which windows version to which (I tried many), but 1 day after the upgrade I was clean installing it...then as I said I do not mind spending time on clean installing my OS and installing most of my software again

Thanks Godcha!

At least someone understands. I started this thread to get help with the current problems i was/am facing. Also, that thru this people would put forth related valuable knowledge. I started by stating my thoughts on it and why.

I have fixed my Starcraft problem with disabling XP's firewall which got automatically enabled during the Clean install. And I reinstalled Starcraft and rebooted. That did the trick. Starcraft demo runs fine, it was clearly a connection issue created by the two firewalls running. I am not certain if the Compatibility mode helped or not though.

I still have the Video driver issue. I will try to use the compatibility mode thing. Clean install is looking lilke the better choice. Just I haven't found it to be so yet. I will keep trying......

PLEASE POST MORE OPINIONS AND INFORMATION EVERYONE.

Here's an oppinion for ya.

First, coz almost EVERYONE who has posted here said something about ME being unstable, ugly (The Green) and just a plain pain to work with, there's got to be some reason for it.

Second, why the **** are you STILL playing Starcraft? Try playing some other games, i reccomend Red Alert, or Total Annihilation if you're into the older stuff. But geez, the DEMO? Why oh Why?

Oh, and the person who quoted Einstein, good on ya!

If u ever used Windows ME (the evil operating system:devious: that has to freeze on you every single time) and u want to upgrade from it to XP i would definitely clean install it. Beucase u dont want all that junk left behing from ME

Clean Intall is Faster and Smoother

Originally posted by Niels

Here's an oppinion for ya.

First, coz almost EVERYONE who has posted here said something about ME being unstable, ugly (The Green) and just a plain pain to work with, there's got to be some reason for it.

Second, why the **** are you STILL playing Starcraft? Try playing some other games, i reccomend Red Alert, or Total Annihilation if you're into the older stuff. But geez, the DEMO? Why oh Why?

Your statement is not true in reference to EVERYONE. You should try reading a little more. Your opinion of Me is irrelevant at this point. I already stated why I like Starcraft Demo. But thank you for taking up space here with your insults and lack of regard for other people.:knocked:)

Oh, and the person who quoted Einstein, good on ya!

Actually it is sad to associate that quote in the context of an insult. It does the MAN a big injustice.

For the sake of future posts, this thread is not about Me's stability, it is whether to clean install or upgrade to XP pro.

Originally posted by RomeoXP1.0.8.6.

Your statement is not true in reference to EVERYONE. You should try reading a little more. I already stated why I like Starcraft Demo. But thank you for taking up space here with your insults and lack of regard for other people.:knocked:)

he actually said almost everyone :ponder:

Originally posted by DJ^TuRKiYe

he actually said almost everyone :ponder:

YOU ARE RIGHT. I am just a little tired of the same hash. People not reading a little closer and putting insults.

Not only does upgrading from Me to XP leave a lot of file clutter, it really bogs down the registry too with lots of stuff left behind, from orphan registry entries to Me specific registry entries that are left behind. Granted, you can zap most of the orphan registry entries with a registry cleaner, but the Me specific registry entries probably won't be picked up and your windows install will suffer for it.

I respect your wish to stick with upgrading Me to XP, I really do, and if you feel that it's more beneficial for you to stick with the upgrading method, then good for you. But just take in mind that there is factual evidence (benchmarks, reports/reviews on stability, etc etc.) that backs up what we are all saying here, that upgrading will produce much poorer performance and stability compared to a clean install. The fact that the Starcraft demo works when upgrading and it doesn't when clean installing isn't a testiment to the quality of the install, all it probably is is some silly dependency on a file or registry entry buried somewhere, which is probably hampering the performance and stability of the system while it's sitting there!

And hey, look in some bargain bins and poke around ebay, you can probably by starcraft for the cost of a meal given it's age.

I'm not sure I see any interest for the community in arguing about the respective merits of Starcraft, WinMe and WinXp.

If someone is happy the way he lives, even if it is not the most common way, I will not try to make him happy on another way againt his will.

But that's of course not my business: I don't play Starcraft, I never installed WinMe and I like installing XP by itself. LOL

I regularly use KerioPF. Everything else seems to function fine with both firewalls up

I imagine you don't need XP firewall up if Kerio is active.

Actually it is sad to associate that quote in the context of an insult. It does the MAN a big injustice.

What an inopportune time to put things in CAPS. Just what exactly are you basing the little factoid of information on?

Agreed though, the thread has gone a tad off topic. But surely you can understand as to why I find the idea of holding off an upgrade to XP purely absurd just because a demo won't work.

As for me selectively reading all these post's; yer bang on.

Originally posted by wI-OSMAN-

i thought that you can't do a upgrade from Windows ME(crap) to Windows XP Pro ?

yes you can.

but Me = Microsoft Error, Sucks, why would you wanna upgrade.

Clean Installs.. Are CLEARLY better than any upgrade.

.....I still dont know how to get my driver situation worked out, and I still can't play Starcraft on Xp doing a Clean install. Hence, I find the Upgrade better.

StarCraft (both Shareware Demo & Full Retail Package) are certified for use on all Windows OS's except NT (although with some DirectX hacking you can get it to work) :)

I play SC & SC: BroodWars on this WinXP Pro machine and it works flawlessly. BTW, it was a clean install.

Although you are having troubles with driver issues, did you ever consider upgrading your hardware?

[EDIT] Was at FutureShop today and saw StarCraft Retail Edition for $14.99 CDN... or you can pick up the SC Battle Chest for $29.99 CDN (includes SC, SC: BroodWar & a CD of user-created maps and levels. [/EDIT]

I stated that I fixed the Starcraft Problem, it was merely the double firewall interference. And I am typing this on a Clean Install of XP Pro. So far it has been good. It took some time to install however. More involvement than the auto upgrade method.

Things are working out great! Oh execpt the Video driver situation. Anyone know how to fix that? I have the latest drivers, but like I stated when I do an upgrade the performance remains, shortly after any driver updates, like the SP's, the performance is about half. I have an SIS315 64, used to have a TNT2 Ultra 32, and had the same problem. I know the SIS315 is not a great card, but it does out perform the TNT2 ultra. And I got it cheap.

Sis's drivers are at www.sis.com.tw for the latest ones take the .tw off for thier american site but I usually theck the Tiawan one first since they lag by 2 or 3 days. Here's a direct link: http://driver2.sis.com/graphic/gpu/315/315v303.exe dated aug 12th 2002 not too shabby ehh?

As for starcraft, if your still playing the demo the full version is under 6 bucks from www.gogamer.com

As for the original bit of the merits of clean install vs upgrade it's clean install all the way assuming you know what you have in your system, if you have no clue then I'd go the upgrade route since it'll do the dynamic upgrade before the install, but I don't hold the user not knowing how to work it out as a knock against a clean install.

Things are working out great! Oh execpt the Video driver situation. Anyone know how to fix that? I have the latest drivers, but like I stated when I do an upgrade the performance remains, shortly after any driver updates, like the SP's, the performance is about half. I have an SIS315 64, used to have a TNT2 Ultra 32, and had the same problem. I know the SIS315 is not a great card, but it does out perform the TNT2 ultra. And I got it cheap.

What version drivers the same as the link I just posted? And also if you install the newest drivers from the manufactuars website then download the drivers from windowsupdate, you've usually just screwed up your drivers. Never download device drivers from windows update.

Secondly, If you bother to read what I posted and offered suggests to correct the problems I am pointing out I just may be convinced of Clean install. I still dont know how to get my driver situation worked out, and I still can't play Starcraft on Xp doing a Clean install. Hence, I find the Upgrade better.

your inability to process UDP packets is caused by your network card/modem drivers being out of date. Update them to be able to play Starcraft.

I hate WinMe, that OS is so crappy it even screws up any good software it comes in contact with, including XP.

XP upgrades from Me run like crap. The issue isn't that we don't know how to use WinMe, it's that you don't know how to use XP. Me just leaves all its crap behind and makes XP almost as screwed up as it is.

Your problem is that you're not setting up your drivers right on your clean installs.

Originally posted by mAcOdIn

What version drivers the same as the link I just posted? And also if you install the newest drivers from the manufactuars website then download the drivers from windowsupdate, you've usually just screwed up your drivers. Never download device drivers from windows update.

I did down load and installed those drivers. It actually decreased the performance. Yes, windows update drivers may not be the best, but in the service pack I dont have choice. I know the card can run well in XP, just the drivers keep decreasing performance when they are suppose to increase. It's frustrating.