Microsoft release February Security Updates

It installed fine when I downloaded it (WindowsXP-KB913446-x86-ENU.exe) from the link in the first post. I have to wonder if it failed to update via Microsoft Update because I was using a patched tcpip.sys.

yea a patched tcpip.sys file will result in failure, u have to download the file manually to make it work it seems, but now you can't patch the tcpip.sys file if you install the patch until xp-antispy comes out with a new version or some other way is around it, any know?

What is tcpip.sys? I was able to install all but one update which failed so now I am curious to know what that is and if that is why I am failing to update it.

Edited by MiamiGuy

KB913446 keeps failing on my machine :(

I have rebooted etc, still fails :(

any ideas ?

Matt

EvID4226Patch is the reason why it fails that patch removes the limit of TCPIP connections you can establish. that patch alters the file

TCPIP.SYS

I manually patched tcpip.sys on my system, and it's also failing for me. Something to remember though - A lot of pirated copies of XP come with tcpip already patched.

barfster: What does FWIW stand for?

tcpip patch worked fine for me, i was using the hacked tcpip like others, it does however reset it to 10, you can still change it with the same patch below though:)

www.lvllord.de

Edited by hajj_3

Vulnerability in TCP/IP Could Allow Denial of Service (913446): MS06-007 - Important - This update seems to be failing (on XP atleast) when installed via Microsoft/Windows update for some reason. Please use this link and manually install the update. More info @ MS Windows Update Newsgroup

I was just about to ask for help to neowinians, I was getting an error code 0x80242006 while trying to install the patch KB913446 so I tried alternate link from above (Y)

I manually patched tcpip.sys on my system, and it's also failing for me. Something to remember though - A lot of pirated copies of XP come with tcpip already patched.

barfster: What does FWIW stand for?

I would assume "for what it's worth." :cool:

The problem isn't caused by a modified TCPIP.SYS.

I have 2 machines here, both using the original versions that failed on the website, but succeeded manually.

Just check in the newsgroups, no-one can install it from the website.