Gateway FPD2185W Review

I've had my Gateway 21" monitor for the past week and all I can say is that I'm amazed. Bright, easy to read, Media center looks good (live tv). I'll be installing some games and watching DVDs soon.

Great buy. No dead pixels.

I've had my Gateway 21" monitor for the past week and all I can say is that I'm amazed. Bright, easy to read, Media center looks good (live tv). I'll be installing some games and watching DVDs soon.

Great buy. No dead pixels.

It is very bright colors seem to be deeper might be it's color temperature setting, but it still it does look nice in Media Center.

I must say, finding this review was perfect. During my recent move I added a giant scratch into my 19" Viewsonic and am looking for a replacement. I like the specs on this one and it looks like it won't be obsolete too soon.

But I must ask, has anyone played WoW on it yet?

Hello,

I have the Gateway 21" monitor and the Gforce 7800 GT video card running with nforce drivers.

I have installed the Eztune software but it won?t let me use the wizard to tune in the monitor, it keeps saying that I need to check for the Eztune software update (I have the 1.0 version) and when I click update button the page loads and says my software is up to date.

What should I do to run the Eztune wizard?

Regards

Sabo

Ok, I could make run the Eztune software by deleting the registry for old monitors drivers, now the problem is the same as you guys, Pivot software doesn?t work, well it does?nt do it automatically. Where can I download the latest software for Pivot? do I need to pay for an update:s:s

Ok, I could make run the Eztune software by deleting the registry for old monitors drivers, now the problem is the same as you guys, Pivot software doesn?t work, well it does?nt do it automatically. Where can I download the latest software for Pivot? do I need to pay for an update:s:s

Kindly ask nekrosoft13 he can help you. See his post about the same issue here.

There might be an obvious answer, but I haven't found it.

In their demo, they list the dimensions as 19.45x15.35x8.2 . Being that it's a 21" monitor , why is the width not 21"? Is this common for LCD's?

First I thought it was viewing size, but they are the actual dimensions.

Link:

Demo

would anyone be able to post the eztune software that comes with this monitor? we have one at work but lost the disc and we want to show customers how the screen flips and all that jazz...

thanks in advance...

The way that I have understood it none of todays videocards are compatiple with HDCP and from monitors that are selling right now 2 or 3 are HDCP compatiple...
I think it is important to make a distinction between computer monitors and televisions. BTW.....I understand that the line between the two is blurring but there is a difference.....at least in terms of when you go shopping and what you are specifically shopping for.

Anyway.....I've done quite a bit of research on HDCP and I have a good grasp of what its all about and how it will affect each and every one of us and I think some clarification is in order.

Yes.....there are not that many computer monitors currently out that are HDCP compliant. I'm sure that will change but that's the way it is right now so you made an excellent choice in terms of a new computer monitor.

My situation is a bit different. I have a 40" Samsung LCD. It is both a "television" and a "computer monitor" as I have it attached to a Media Center PC in my living room. I was concerned whether or not my "monitor" was HDCP compliant and that is why I posted. In my research, I found that if your LCD, plasma or DLP television has an HDMI input then it is *definately* HDCP compliant. If, on the other hand, it only has DVI (which was the case with my TV) then it may or may not be HDCP compliant. That being said, the vast majority of LCD, plasma and DLP televisions sold over the last couple of years are HDCP compliant.

skinnylegs' date='Mar 11 2006, 11:10' post='587295867']

If, on the other hand, it only has DVI (which was the case with my TV) then it may or may not be HDCP compliant.

Boo on my rear projection.

You should see both of them side by side before making that judgement.

I have and, well Dell's look better

Note: I will be selling my 2005FPW so if anyone wants dibs fly me a pm or email and we can work something out I'm looking at 325-350 as the asking price it's about a year old.

Goodness are you stalking me you posted quite quickly.

ahahaha... $325 for a used 2005FPW? I can't even sell a brand new one for that!... heck you can but them from dell for that brand new with a 3 year warranty...

I have and, well Dell's look better

ahahaha... $325 for a used 2005FPW? I can't even sell a brand new one for that!... heck you can but them from dell for that brand new with a 3 year warranty...

Well everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.

325 without going to coupons r'us.com plus the monitor has been rma'd which is essentially new.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm thinking of getting either this monitor but in the 22 inch Widescreen model, or the Dell 24 inch Widescreen. I'm also getting a new Dell computer, which will have a 256mb Nvidia Geforce 7900 GS. I'm trying to decide which is the better monitor. I've heard great things about both of them. The Gateway says it's HDCP compliant. That's making me lean toward the Gateway. I'd like to buy a VGA cable and play my Xbox 360 on it. I'm told I can do this on either monitor. I want to hear from the people that have seen and/or used them in person. So what's the verdict, Dell or Gateway?

Gateway 22 inch Widescreen HD HDCP LCD flat panel

http://accessories.gateway.com/AccessorySt...odDetail?seg=hm

Dell 24 inch Widescreen Supposedly HDCP LCD flat panel

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=320-4335

Both screens will be HDCP compliant. I do love my screen though. The only downside was the warranty which is pretty poor versus Dells 3 year plan. The 22 inch model is a newer chassis the adjustment buttons are touch sensitive and are lined up on the right hand edge of the screen the quality of the buttons on mine screen which has them on the right hand side(on the egde of the monitor not on the front like the 22) is pretty clunky, and the fake carbon fiber look doesn't really excite me much. It is a classy looking monitor though the newer Dells are very nice looking as well. Look at the specs of the two then decide.

Backlight quality on mine is excellent, not sure how the newer Dells look in that regard.

Can you hook-up an Xbox 360 to your Gateway monitor using the component inputs I believe the monitor offers? Dell says you can't with theirs. If not, you can do it with a VGA cable, right?

Yes, it most definitely works. I had this monitor for a while, and have now replaced it with the newer gateway 24" panel, which supports 1080p. Absolutely love this monitor. And anyone worried about the gateway name, don't be. Its a samsung monitor in disguise.

Does the Gateway 22 inch support 1080i or 1080p? I'm looking for answers from people who have hooked up their Xbox 360's to it. Now Dell tells me that their 24 inch and their 20 inch can both do 1080p and the Xbox 360 can be hooked up to them using the component inputs. Which is the better monitor for computer use AND for playing the Xbox 360 in high def?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the review(s), I plan to get this monitor myself.

How is it for gaming? And, have you tried doing XHD? The FPD2185W is the only Gateway monitor that supports it.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/technology_extreme_hd_home.html

If it was not for XHD, I would just get the Viewsonic VX922; so I am hoping that somebody here had experience with XHD gaming on a Gateway FPD2185W.

Every other XHD monitor I have looked at has a bunch of problems, or costs too much.