Worlds most expensive photograph, $2.9 millions

thats a lot of money for a PICTURE! but.. meh. i wont ever make 2.9 million in my life time.. suprised people have that type of money to throw around..

thats a lot of money for a PICTURE! but.. meh. i wont ever make 2.9 million in my life time.. suprised people have that type of money to throw around..

Its for collectors and invtestment purposes.

wouldn't it suck if they found like a thousand of them or somthing in someones barn and its only worth a thousand bucks now :shiftyninja:

• 1 month later...

it's nice and all...but really, it's a pretty easy shot to take. I personally wouldn't spend that much on it

Not in 1904.

Exactly.

The picture wasnt taken with a point and shoot camera that takes rolls of film, or a digital that has a memory card. Then add that to the fact that it has managed to survive one-hundred and two years.

Yeah the cowboy is better. Its like all art though, how can you value paintings/photos etc. I wonder how much the mona lisa would go for on ebay

I prefer Untitled (Cowboy)

post-58341-1140714549.jpg

The difference between that photo and the one for sale was that the one for sale was taken probably around 70 years before that one (not sure on the exact date of the cowboy one, but the photographer was born in 1949 according to wikipedia, so it's a fairly good guess). And apparently

His image, ‘Untitled (Cowboy), a re-photograph, constructed from cigarette advertisements, was the first ‘photograph’ to raise more than $1 m at auction when sold at Christie's New York in 2005.

Not sure who would pay $1.36mil for a portrait of Georgia O'Keeffe nude though unless they were a diehard fan since she wasn't all that great looking.