[Men's Hockey] Swiss pull off two hockey shockers

1swiss.jpg

Switzerland's Thomas Ziegler, centre, is congratulated by teammates Thierry Paterlini, left, and Ivo Ruthemann after scoring a goal during the ice hockey men's preliminary round against Czech Republic at the Torino Esposizioni in Turin. (Don Emmert/AFP/Getty Images)

Swiss pull of men's hockey shocker

Associated Press

Turin ? David Aebischer made 20 of his 40 saves in a second-period barrage ? including six against Jaromir Jagr ? as Switzerland stunned the Czech Republic 3-2 in Olympic men's hockey action Thursday.

Aebischer, best known for following Patrick Roy as the Colorado Avalanche's top goalie, was brilliant while his team was short-handed for most of the final seven minutes of the middle period. Switzerland was ahead 2-1 when the parade to the penalty box began with 6:49 left.

The Swiss, who had only two NHL players in the lineup, were called for six of the final eight penalties in the period and were down two men for about two minutes. Aebischer got stronger with each save as flag-waving fans chanted his name.

He was swarmed by his teammates as time ran out.

Jagr, who scored the first goal for the defending world champions to tie it at 2:55 of the second, had several other chances. After going without a shot in the first period, Jagr fired from all over. He was stopped by the very bottom of Aebischer's left pad on his right-circle drive. Set up there again during the power play, Jagr fired high out of play.

Montreal Canadiens defenceman Mark Streit, who has only one NHL goal this season, gave the Swiss a 3-2 lead during a power play at 6:42 of the third.

Tomas Vokoun made 16 saves in place of injured goalie Dominik Hasek, and Marek Zidlicky added the other Czech goal.

Thomas Ziegler gave Switzerland a 1-0 lead in the first period and Thierry Paterlini answered Jagr's goal in the second by getting to his feet after being knocked down to score a short-handed goal at 9:44.

Switzerland (1-1) earned only one Olympic win in 2002 against the Ukraine. The Czech Republic is also 1-1 in Group A.

Aebischer, 22-2-13 this season with Colorado, made 13 saves during the third period of Switzerland's 5-0 loss to Finland on Wednesday. He replaced Martin Gerber, who allowed all the goals on 24 shots.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...Hockey2006/home

Turin ? Former NHL forward Paul DiPietro scored two goals to help Switzerland to a stunning 2-0 victory over Canada at the Winter Olympics on Saturday.

DiPietro, a native of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., scored in the first and second periods while Martin Gerber was a standout in goal as Canada's high-profile stars outshot the modest Swiss 49-18, including 24-1 in a desperate third period.

The Swiss were already on a high after a 3-2 victory over the powerful Czech Republic on Thursday.

Canada and Switzerland are both 2-1 in preliminary round play. Canada plays Finland on Sunday, while Switzerland faces Germany.

A large contingent of Swiss fans among the crowd of 4,769 at Torino Esposizione were hopping, singing and waving their white cross flags as their team defeated Canada for the first time ever in Olympic competition.

Their chanting and whistling hit a fever pitch in the third period as Canada attacked relentlessly and Gerber stood his ground.

Canada is now 7-1 against the Swiss at the Games, including a 33-0 rout in 1924 that is the most lopsided win in Olympic history.

DiPietro played 192 NHL games, collecting 31 goals and 49 assists with Montreal, Toronto and Los Angeles.

His NHL highlight was the 1993 playoffs, when he helped the Canadiens win the Stanley Cup with 13 points in 17 playoff games. DiPietro has played in the Swiss league since 1998-99.

Canada ran into a hot opponent that has been working together for several weeks to prepare for the Games.

They had a chance to bury the Swiss early, but Canada went 0-for-5 on the power play in the first period, including a 30-second two-man advantage.

A turnover in the neutral zone by Joe Thornton allowed DiPietro to get a shot on Martin Brodeur, then get a pass back from Patric Della Rossa to score into an open side 18:19 into the game.

Canada came out hitting the smaller Swiss team in the second period, but ran into penalty trouble and DiPietro got his second of the game during a two-man advantage at 8:47.

Captain Mark Streit's shot went off Robyn Regehr's skate right to DiPietro for an easy shot into an open side.

Canada thought it had goals twice in the middle period, but both were disallowed ? the first because the whistle had gone with Todd Bertuzzi was in the crease.

Russian referee Viacheslav Bulanov needed about 10 minutes on the phone with the video review booth before disallowing what looked like a goal by Rick Nash. Gerber appeared to catch Nash's shot behind the goal-line.

Canada created many chances in all three periods despite an intense Swiss trap, but Gerber stood his ground.

David Aebischer of the Colorado Avalanche was in goal for the win over the Czechs.

Notes ? Canada and Switzerland's last Olympic meeting was at the 1992 Games ... For a third straight game, Canada drew a non-NHL referee in Bulanov. At the last two Olympics, NHL refs were required for teams with mostly NHL players ... After two games at the main rink, Palasport Olympico, Canada moved to Torino Esposizioni, a conference centre in which a temporary rink was built.

Team Canada won't win by less than 4 goals for the rest of the tournament after this. That was the slap in the face those arrogant players needed to get them fired up.

gerber played well, plus some of the calls i would have liked to see go the other way or didnt agree with. in the end canada can either learn from this or be eliminated. they're too good and have too much experience to not realise what just happened.

I'm depressed now. I saw this on CBC, and almost cried. Is Canada even going to get a mens hockey medal this year?

There's always the women, but the score is so lopsided every game that it isn't fun to watch.

No Name SOG SVS MIP

26 GERBER Martin 49 49 60:00

30 BRODEUR Martin 18 16 59:08

I guess Roberto LUONGO will get the next start against Finland.

I'm hoping he dosn't. He's good, but he's cocky sometimes. Let some FRESH BLOOD between the pipes and see what can happen. If the other goalies let in a a few, then it'll be a learning lesson. Honestly? it's boring knowing that Team Canada can rely every olympics on Hockey (Men or Women) ... time to sharpen our atheleats in other disiplines like Curling, Bobsledding, etc. etc.

I'm depressed now. I saw this on CBC, and almost cried. Is Canada even going to get a mens hockey medal this year?

haha too bad for you. i was amazed how well swiss played. i only hope that swiss will get medal somehow.

happiest day of my life :D

:p

Haha definitely saw this coming!

lier lier :D i doubt that anyone expect though they could win. i thought canada will win like 5-0..but then i saw goal and though 'whoa this is different, have to watch' it was probably best game since last olympics when canada won gold against usa.

Don't worry, once [Finland] loses to [the] Czechs, [Canada will] have no [problem] beating that sack of bruised up grandpas :p

Don't be so sure! Finland won, and I'm happy at that outcome.