New Super Mario Brothers

180007b.jpg

According to GoNintendo, the Super Mario Brothers will be returning to the US on May 7, 2006. That's just before E3 for you non-industry folks. This will be the Brother's first new side scrolling adventure in over a decade. Cannot wait!

Source: GamersReports, Nintendo Guy

Famitsu Scans: Gamers Reports

This little gem is coming to us by way of the official Nintendo forums, and the poster has said that this statement is made in the newest issue of Nintendo Power. The magazine article makes no mention at all of this date being the Japanese date, and it IS in Nintendo Power…which we all know is the North American Nintendo publication. If it turns out that this isn’t the US date, then I have a bone to pick with Nintendo Power. Thanks to Fhussain and DevilsRejection for the info. Click the thumb for full view.

NP Scan of Article: Go Nintendo

Well interesting news if it turns out to be true, because the DS press conference Nintendo said they were releasing it in Japan in May so supposedly the US is now getting it also.

Edited by jmole

now this would definetely make me buy a ds.. i was going to buy one when mario kart ds came out, i didnt, but now that this is coming out i will most definetely get it. with mario kart too ofcourse

i just hope it's kinda like mario 3 but takes about 10 hours to complete lol.. ooo oo and multiplayer deathmatches lol, and awesome graphics
Apparently co-op too:

Video 1

Video 2

It look like a remake of the 'First' Mario Bros. :blink:

I hope it's not 'just' this...

I want a "NEW" game, not a remake...

It's quasi-3D so it can't be. It just happens to be a side scrolling Mario, which has been long overdue. Miyamoto says it will rock your socks off. Edited by jmole

You stated that the first Mario Bros is not "side scrolling". I'm asking what kind of game is it called then?

It's kinda hard to say what kinda game it is.. because it's just a basic 1 screen game.. If u have ever played the first Donkey Kong game.. Then u'll know what i'm talking about.

lol i got that game on a nes cartridge

Yeah the game kicked ass, hrs and hrs of great fun.

Ya in SMB3 you could get into a fight whenever Luigi and Mario were on the same square and steal each others stars or mushrooms or whatever for extra lives, and the winner would get the next turn.

Good news, looks like it has definitely been confirmed for US release May 7. Just in time for DS Lite and E3.

Nintendo of America has officially confirmed the release date for the forthcoming New Super Mario Bros. title slated for the Nintendo DS. As the Advanced Media Network has previously reported, the anticipated addition to the critically acclaimed series will indeed release on May 7th, 2006.

The entirely original Nintendo DS offering marks the first 2D platformer associated with the series since the days of the Super Nintendo, and is set in a familiar atmosphere. The two brothers, Mario and Luigi, must rescue Princess Peach whom has been captured by both Bowser and Bowser Jr. Along their journey, the two will encounter classic and familiar foes such as Goombas and Koopas in addition to the myriad of new bosses and enemies on track to appear in the forthcoming title.

The entirely two-dimensional DS title will also release with a variety of all-new power-ups such as Blue Shells from which Mario can ride, and a new, massive Mushroom capable of making the hero "ultra-huge". The character models are designed as fully fleshed out three-dimensional figures while as previously mentioned, the surrounding environment is completely 2D. The company promises that these worlds will be "cleverly designed" in an effort to recapture the look and feel of the classic and immensely popular original games in the series.

The Advanced Media Network will have more on this game as it approaches its release date, stay tuned for more.

Source: The Advanced Media Network